Hypothetical: Should we switch English exams over to a digital format? (1 Viewer)

emilios

HSC
I was thinking about this today. In the examination hall there would be machines similar to typewriters (but obvs not typewriters, those things are noisy) but not quite PCs. You'd get the exam booklet, and start typing away.

Often in English you know exactly what you want to write, but your hand just won't move fast enough. You have ideas flowing but they're being limited by the speed at which you can write them. I really don't think mechanical ability - one student's ability to move their hand faster than another - is a fair variable to have in an examination that's so dependent on quality AND quantity (I struggle to get 1000 words done for each of my modules). Not only will you be removing the element of physical capability, but it'll be easier on the teachers to mark papers (my handwriting is horrid lol my teacher hates me). Also, not only will the Board be expecting a higher calibre of work - we'd be able to deliver it. It's a win-win situation.

The only downsides I can think of is the possibility of the machine stuffing up somehow, data being lost and cost. But c'mon it's the 21st century ffs, we can deal with that stuff. If we're at the stage where computers are responsible for communicating crucial government data, we can use them to complete examinations. As for cost - the cheaper costs of marking and general logistics will offset cost factors slightly, but yeah I guess it'll be more expensive. But then again, they did give year 9's personal laptops for like 5 years in a row lol.

Thoughts?

emilios

HSC
I said hypothetical situation not utopian society lol

HSC
I reckon that english exams are set to distinguish between those who are able to write in 40 minutes a succinct and concise response, adequately answering the question with thorough detail and explanation... If it comes to computers, most people can type like 1300+ words especially if their body paragraphs are in the back of their heads and are just manipulating the question, which probably becomes annoying for markers, having to sit down and read longggg essays

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think that is fair either there is a massive discrepancy in typing speeds too...

Harder to monitor, plus personally I find it hard to concentrate when I'm in a room with over 100+ people typing extremely fast...

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I have always thought this, and completely agree. Why is the physical strength of my wrist being tested?

My friend got to type his English HSC exam and got a Band 6 in English (special consideration).

lolitaaa

HSC
Then the students who type insanely fast would have a massive advantage over those who, for example, type with 2 fingers while looking at the keyboard.
LOL I can just picture someone doing that. I'm actually asking my school for special provision for hsc cause I have slight anxiety and during exams it's quite bad. I wonder if I can type up my English exam...

lolitaaa

HSC
Lol my sister was so good at English and when she did hsc she couldn't write as fast as other people and ended up with a low band 6 when she really could have hit the 96 mark easily. The HSC system is actually very stupid. It doesn't actually test if you are good at English.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
LOL I can just picture someone doing that. I'm actually asking my school for special provision for hsc cause I have slight anxiety and during exams it's quite bad. I wonder if I can type up my English exam...

The incident of BOSTE granting students access to being able to type their responses are extremely low. If the speed of your writing is substantially slower then other individuals then you are more likely to be given the opportunity for a writer and have to dictate your response to the writer.

You aren't going to get a typing provision for anxiety...

Separate supervision (maybe), rest breaks (maybe) are the only things which you are likely to qualify for.. -_-

Also I'm pretty sure the applications for special provisions were due in April (or earlier?) so that might also put your application into doubt.

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
I was thinking about this today. In the examination hall there would be machines similar to typewriters (but obvs not typewriters, those things are noisy) but not quite PCs. You'd get the exam booklet, and start typing away.

Often in English you know exactly what you want to write, but your hand just won't move fast enough. You have ideas flowing but they're being limited by the speed at which you can write them. I really don't think mechanical ability - one student's ability to move their hand faster than another - is a fair variable to have in an examination that's so dependent on quality AND quantity (I struggle to get 1000 words done for each of my modules). Not only will you be removing the element of physical capability, but it'll be easier on the teachers to mark papers (my handwriting is horrid lol my teacher hates me). Also, not only will the Board be expecting a higher calibre of work - we'd be able to deliver it. It's a win-win situation.

The only downsides I can think of is the possibility of the machine stuffing up somehow, data being lost and cost. But c'mon it's the 21st century ffs, we can deal with that stuff. If we're at the stage where computers are responsible for communicating crucial government data, we can use them to complete examinations. As for cost - the cheaper costs of marking and general logistics will offset cost factors slightly, but yeah I guess it'll be more expensive. But then again, they did give year 9's personal laptops for like 5 years in a row lol.

Thoughts?
We shouldn't switch over to pc's for English exams.

If most exams started doing this, society would lose the ability to write nicely and quickly. We cannot just rely on machines ....

Giving year 9's laptops for schools was legit (while I don't agree with it), it does help with obtaining information, research and providing a new way of learning .

Exams should always be written.

Last edited:

lolitaaa

HSC
The incident of BOSTE granting students access to being able to type their responses are extremely low. If the speed of your writing is substantially slower then other individuals then you are more likely to be given the opportunity for a writer and have to dictate your response to the writer.

You aren't going to get a typing provision for anxiety...

Separate supervision (maybe), rest breaks (maybe) are the only things which you are likely to qualify for.. -_-

Also I'm pretty sure the applications for special provisions were due in April (or earlier?) so that might also put your application into doubt.
Yeah my year advisor told me that it may be too late, but I hope she can do something about it. Haha yeah I agree I probably wont be allowed to type, but yes rest breaks would be of great benefit.

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
We shouldn't switch over to pc's for English exams.

If most exams started doing this, society would lose the ability to write nicely and quickly. We cannot just rely on machines ....

Giving year 9's laptops for schools was legit (while I don't agree with it), it does help with obtaining information, research and providing a new way of learning .

Exams should always be written.
You sound like an old grandpa.
I lost my ability to write as soon as I got my pen license in year 4...

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
They'll all eventually become computer/tablet based tests. It's just a matter of time.

Thief

!!
HSC
Lol my sister was so good at English and when she did hsc she couldn't write as fast as other people and ended up with a low band 6 when she really could have hit the 96 mark easily. The HSC system is actually very stupid. It doesn't actually test if you are good at English.
Nah that's bs. You don't need a really long essay to do well. She just didn't do as well as she thought she would, that's all.

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
As much as I dread english, I think that english exams should always be handwritten since pretty much all students are becoming more technologically advanced student, and it doesnt take that long to master writing 100 words per minute. However, I believe that past HSC students has a slight advantage since they've been practicing handwriting essays and as mentioned above that from year 9, everyone receives laptop and they've pretty much went lazier from there.

madharris

HSC
N/A
You sound like an old grandpa.
I lost my ability to write as soon as I got my pen license in year 4...
I never got my pen or running writing license. My teacher was legit bias though!
All of the smarter kids got them even if they had shit writing, and then you have me with my pretty decent year 3 writing, crying in the corner.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)