Hypothetical: Should we switch English exams over to a digital format? (1 Viewer)

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
I never got my pen or running writing license. My teacher was legit bias though!
All of the smarter kids got them even if they had shit writing, and then you have me with my pretty decent year 3 writing, crying in the corner.
I got mine taken away every year, because bias teachers

QZP

HSC
Then the students who type insanely fast would have a massive advantage over those who, for example, type with 2 fingers while looking at the keyboard.
Simple fix: Limit at 1000 words and students have a fixed time to compose such a response.

madharris

HSC
N/A
Simple fix: Limit at 1000 words and students have a fixed time to compose such a response.
This won't work. Have you ever had an assignment/essay where you're spending just as much time reducing the word count as you spend writing it?

D94

HSC
N/A
They'll all eventually become computer/tablet based tests. It's just a matter of time.
Not convinced. Computers can crash without warning and without the user even touching it. No matter how great you can design and build a computer, all technology, in this case, a computer, is susceptible to failure. This is different to say a Hazard Perception Test - you will be given another chance at a suitable time without penalty. Students will be under tremendous pressure and it would be unfair for students in that likely situation. Unless there is an overhaul on how they will be examined (I don't just mean changing to computers, but a complete restructure of the HSC and how students are assessed), then it seems the cons greatly outweigh the pros. The existing system is not broken, and it does not need to be enhanced.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
Not convinced. Computers can crash without warning and without the user even touching it. No matter how great you can design and build a computer, all technology, in this case, a computer, is susceptible to failure. This is different to say a Hazard Perception Test - you will be given another chance at a suitable time without penalty. Students will be under tremendous pressure and it would be unfair for students in that likely situation. Unless there is an overhaul on how they will be examined (I don't just mean changing to computers, but a complete restructure of the HSC and how students are assessed), then it seems the cons greatly outweigh the pros. The existing system is not broken, and it does not need to be enhanced.
humans can also crash. IMO; I would trust a well programmed computer any day over a human (obviously not programmed by me)

D94

HSC
N/A
humans can also crash. IMO; I would trust a well programmed computer any day over a human (obviously not programmed by me)
That makes no sense. If that student 'crashed' then that is completely independent of whether their exam is handwritten or on a computer. Doesn't refute my points.

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
That makes no sense. If that student 'crashed' then that is completely independent of whether their exam is handwritten or on a computer. Doesn't refute my points.
Ohh no; I was just talking about in general. But computers (in general and programmed right) can do anything/everything better than a human can

iStudent

HSC
They're starting to experiment with having UMAT exams done electronically. Basically, students do the UMAT exam from home while they are filmed by a live webcam. So I think it's quite a possible trend for future exams.

emilios

HSC
Nah it should definitely stick to handwriting. When you handwrite, you're limited in the sense that you can't waste time going over and editing etc, by rearranging phrases and all. Plus it would be a bit too easy to memorise an essay, type it out, and change the topic sentences to adapt to the question– doesn't test your ability to think on the spot with time pressure as well as handwriting does.

Right now people argue that handwriting is unfair because some people write faster than others, but I don't think computers will change anything because very soon there will be complaints about how there are so many variations in typing speed. And whilst handwriting speed is something that anyone should (theoretically) be able to improve on, typing would pose a disadvantage to people who aren't familiar with computers (e.g. rural and remote locations etc).

Disadvantages aside, I think we're getting too technology-based (and not trying to sound like I'm 80), but seriously– we've already replaced mental maths with calculators, research books with the internet... and if we replace our hands with computers, then there aren't many more steps left before we'll be replacing our brains with something else too. I think English texts in particular reveal a lot about what happens when humans mess around too much with technology, think of Frankenstein/Blade Runner for example :D
That's the thing though - those things you've mentioned aren't necessarily bad. How much further are students able to take mathematics now that we don't have to be bogged down by slide rules and log tables. Look at the scope of the research we can carry out now and how quickly we can be exposed to new information. Sure you have idiots copying and pasting wikipedia but the net impact has been an improvement in education, contrary to what gramps may be saying.

Computers are already a ubiquitous part of our life. Integrating them into the exam procedure isn't some symbolic reflection of a Blade Runner-esqe society... it's a 2 hour exam. I think it really would do more good than harm. Change is good, and convenient change is even better.

enoilgam

HSC
I never got my pen or running writing license. My teacher was legit bias though!
All of the smarter kids got them even if they had shit writing, and then you have me with my pretty decent year 3 writing, crying in the corner.
Same - I've been an unlicensed pen user for 12 years (I hope my boss doesnt find out).

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah my year advisor told me that it may be too late, but I hope she can do something about it. Haha yeah I agree I probably wont be allowed to type, but yes rest breaks would be of great benefit.

Also you'll be advised to submit psychiatrist reports etc as evidence

enoilgam

HSC
On the topic though, I dont think we should go digital at all. The main issue with these tests is technological issues - a few of my students have sat digital based tests at their schools (who are trialling them) and they've had a lot of problems with computers failing or not working at optimal speends. One student had to race through a 30 minute MC Maths test because his computer kept failing. Also, having a typed exam would only those who touch type and would probably be hugely distracting with 100+ people typing altogether.

Overall though, as D94 pointed out, there is nothing wrong with writing and "if it aint broke, dont fix it". I'm honestly glad to have left school before the laptop age because I think they are a pain in the butt and add little advantages over good old pen and paper (they are probably a great distraction tool though). It just seems like a very unnecessary, overcomplicated and expensive response to me. It's like the old space pen story; the US spent millions inventing a pen which worked in outer space, whereas the Russians used a pencil.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)