I am very, very confused (Socio Legal Studies subject selection) (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hi

I have been accepted into Socio-Legal Studies, and having come from first year Social Inquiry at UTS, I wasn't really prepared for how complicated first year arts selection would be.

My aim has always been to choose history as my second major, and I really wanted to do a mixture of both ancient and modern history.

However my friend recently told me that a number of second year socio legal subjects have compulsory prerequisites that might make this very difficult.

Apparrently, these four mandatory subjects
SCLG2634 Crime, Punishment and Society
SCLG2601 Sociological Theory
PHIL2645 Philosophy of Law
SCLG2615 Law & Social Theory (restricted to BSLS during senior years)

require me to do ssls 1001, 1002; 12 junior cp of PHIL and sclg1002, sclg 1002. This would appear to leave me with just two spare units, and senior ancient history seems to require me to do 12 junior cp. Also, I really hate philosophy, I basically left Social Inquiry because I found that kind of stuff to be a complete load of wank and a waste of my time.

Am I really stuck being forced to only do modern history and to do philosophy?

Edit - SCLG1001 Introduction to Sociology 1 This unit introduces students to the study of sociology through an analysis of contemporary Australian society. Using a range of sociological concepts and theories, we will analyse society in the period known as 'modernity'. Students will be encouraged to analyse existing social phenomena through the prisms of gender, sexuality, ethnicity, class, multiculturalism and Indigeneity.

WHAT
WHAT
WHAT

HSC
Is it at all possible that these subjects don't have the sociology and philosophy requirements when you are doing Socio Legal (as everything I have heard about this degree yet has led me to believe it is a study of law interreacting with society rather than Postmodernist claptrap).

Edit- Also http://www.arts.usyd.edu.au/images/content/current_students/pathways/socioleg_stud08.gif seems to show you having four light blue choices, if my friend is right and you have to put philosophy and sociology there, wouldn't they mention that?

Edit2- It seems ssls1003 is a compulsory subject for first year too, and this would mean that if I had to do all of these subjects I would be left with just 6 credit points spare, which isn't enough to do a second major. This is rather peculiar.

Last edited:
HSC
I emailed the director of the course and she told me they are waived for socio legal studies students, just thought I'd post this for anyone else who may wonder in the future

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)