I don't do engineering and don't know all the details on the issue. (2 Viewers)

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I want to do Engineering at university, can someone provide me details because i dont do engineering/physics at the moment. However, i do maths(3unit, gonna keep it in year 12), i do chem and bio and legal and business. Can I still get in, or what do i do?

Last edited by a moderator:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
Yes. Physics is only an assumed requirement, it is not a set in stone requirement,. HSC physics is useless anyway; it won;t help you one bit in uni physics courses.

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
oh sweet, thanks

but i'll get a physics tutor just in-case when i finish my hsc

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
oh sweet, thanks

but i'll get a physics tutor just in-case when i finish my hsc
It won't help you. Everyone struggles with physics at university. You'd be better off going over extension 2 math instead.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
what type of engineering

there's like 239573285792385 types

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Physics at Uni is essentially and extension of extension two maths in some parts, and barely any HSC physics (from what I've been told), but knowing the background stuff does slightly help.

D94

HSC
N/A
I would invest time in MX2 than HSC Physics, because HSC Physics isn't uni physics. At high school, you learn about physics, at uni, you learn physics. MX2 is rather on par with the types of physics styled questions you would get in uni, at least for a mechanics topic.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You can do any engineering with whatever maths you have, but you'll struggle hard if you haven't done at least 3u.

They go through stuff very quickly at uni - and if it's all new to you, then... you will be so far behind the others who are just like "lol, did this last year".

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I did 2unit (did bad as well) but first semester maths for me wasn't too much of a problem, there were people who did well despite only doing general. You will have to put more effort in for some parts if you dont have the 3u/4u base. The maths subject at UTS supposedly has a relatively low failure rate (still 20ish percent), the lecturer is VERY good though. Our exams for maths aren't as hard as UNSW's though, i have no idea for other universities.

Last edited:

HeroicPandas

Heroic!
HSC
I did 2unit (did bad as well) but first semester maths for me wasn't too much of a problem, there were people who did well despite only doing general. You will have to put more effort in for some parts if you dont have the 3u/4u base. The maths subject at UTS supposedly has a relatively low failure rate (still 20ish percent), the lecturer is VERY good though. Our exams for maths aren't as hard as UNSW's though, i have no idea for other universities.
which UNI is better for engineering uts?

Johnstan

Sickunt overload
HSC
Uni Grad
you mean for engineering in general?
i think all the unis bout on par... uts,unsw,usyd... and then uws is shit for engineering....( 60ish atar)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
The general consensus for engineering seems to be UNSW > UTS > USYD ( > MQ > UWS). Theres benefits to each of the universities though and you'll have to look into them and decide for yourself. I have a few friends at UTS who got 95+ ATARs but chose to go to UTS (no scholarships involved lol).

To be 100% honest, if i got into UNSW for software engineering i probably would have gone there and definitely would have if i got into Software Engineering/Commerce - i was about 3 atar off both since i got all the possible bonus points for combined but like nothing for straight engineering lol. But after comparing time tables and stuff im glad i went to UTS. Also I did get an offer for Software Engineering at Usyd but didn't take it.

Last edited:

soloooooo

HSC
N/A
UTS & UNSW are both good for engineering.

Moldy81

UWS Course Info
HSC
Hi, At UWS, we do not have any subject requirements for any of our courses, including the Bachelor of Engineering. This means that it doesn't matter what subjects you do during your HSC - you could still be considered eligible for the course provided you meet the ATAR requirement. The 2012 ATAR for this course was 74.5, so it is best make sure you are doing subjects which can help you achieve this ATAR. For more information on this course, please contact the Course Information Line on 1300 897 669 or on study@uws.edu.au. Best regards, UWS Course Info.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)