I Don't Like School (1 Viewer)

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
I'm a Year 11 student who is facing a HUGE problem (read title of post ^^). I don't like most of my subjects, and even out of the ones I (sorta) like, I don't like studying for them/don't have motivation for them/ceebs. I have chosen the subjects I have the most capability for (after all, it's the ATAR that counts more than the interest, to me), though, so it's not that Asian parents have forced me to take subjects I happen to hate lol. Thing is - I thought I'd like them, but the pressures of studying consistently (I've always been a solid crammer) as well as more difficult content are taking a toll on me and causing me to SERIOUSLY lose motivation.
With regards to my study technique - I don't have one. I write notes only sometimes (a lot of my school peers write complete notes at least a few weeks before exams, and it's not even that good of a selective school), and even when I do write them, I never read them again because they're BORING to look at. I've tried using different-coloured pens and a smaller book for notes to trick my brain into thinking there's less information, but none of it works. I made mind maps last year and put them up on my wall, but never even looked at them either after making them. The only study technique that works for me is someone else quizzing me on notes (usually from their notes, because I rarely ever have my own set of complete or useful notes), generally the day, or sometimes even a couple of periods, before an exam. Thing is- I can't do that unless I'm cramming for an exam (people would be frustrated if they always have to quiz me on things I haven't even read up on), which I probably can't keep up for much longer. If I studied consistently for every subject like most high-performing students do, I'd be performing WAY higher than I do in ALL my subjects (I currently do particularly well in some, but bad in others). I keep promising myself every year, every semester, after every exam, that I'll study on a regular basis, but how can I do this when I don't like most of my subjects?? And also I have a problem that when I approach a concept that is really difficult for me to understand, I avoid it completely, only studying it literally the night before an exam.
I have (again, literally) done no work in many weeks now (except the day before an assessment, pretty much), and while I'm not necessarily failing at school or anything, I don't think this is a good thing *extreme understatement*. I have been wasting a lot of time on the internet (beyond normal for any Yr 11 student who is supposed to work many hours a week). Even today, I have done nothing but surf BoS. :'(
I feel like I am in a deep crisis that I need to get out of ASAP. I walk into school every day waiting for the final bell of the day to ring. :( Plus, it's not because I can't wait for uni/to do a career that I might "enjoy" (I don't have any career plans)/to be an adult AT ALL. In fact, I'm less than looking forward to all of these things. :'( I don't know what to do - I have no genuine interest in doing anything in life (and this has actually always been the case, not just now), and it's really starting to get to me now. And whatever I have an interest in, it's far beyond my capability. :(

Please help me - I'm falling into a deep hole. :cry::cry::cry:

mcchicken

madman in a box
HSC
I'm going to be as blunt as possible and am not trying to be rude at all, just constructive.
Hopefully others below can give some hints on how to make studying more enjoyable for you, as that seems to be the main problem. However, I think maybe you need to accept the fact that perhaps you are lazy (and making a giant list of reasons why you are not studying instead of just sucking it up and studying is not really helpful). For context, I would say I am a relatively smart person, considering my environment, but it has taken me years to realise that also I am lazy af. Yes I know I would get better grades if I studied more, but the fact is that I don't. My potential for higher marks does not make me superior to others who put in so much effort and get the same results as me. They put in the time and focus to achieve their full potential (even though they may hate studying, like you) and I rely on my brain to not do those things and read 60 books a year instead of getting straight HDs.
From my experience of being in a similar boat to you, I think you have two options.
a) Accept the fact that you are lazy and you will not be the best student you can be
b) Accept the fact that you are lazy, sit down, buckle up, and just do the work man

I do the former and am happy with it and my marks and my life for a number of reasons, but that's just me. If you are not happy with this method, which you are clearly not because you're asking for help, then you need to study more and focus more. In saying that, hopefully another BoSer can be more helpful than me and give you actual tips on how to do so rather than me just roasting myself and you lol. Step 1 is acknowledging the problem isn't your unfortunate lack of motivation/enjoyment. The problem is that you are not performing to the standards that you want to, and although you have identified the reason why (lack of studying and self-discipline) you are making excuses as to why you can't.

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way because I am trying to be helpful, but like I said, hopefully other people can be more helpful and actually provide you with tips to overcome these problems.

sida1049

HSC
From reading the post, it seems clear to me that you would like to do well. And I assume that means you understand that in the not-too-far future, your parents will cease looking after you financially, and you either move into a job that you enjoy, or be forced to make ends meet in a far less desirable manner.

It's a very good thing you be able to enjoy your subjects, but to be completely honest, that doesn't matter. It's important to have passion, but you're not being schooled for your passion. You're been educated out of a fundamental necessity: to be well-off. That doesn't mean you don't have a choice; you can choose to put in some real effort, and grind through hours of studying subjects you loath to get a good shot at getting into a career that you may genuinely enjoy and feel comfortable in, or you can choose to opt out of the education system and try find a different way to make ends meet.

Majority of students put in the effort to study not because they necessarily enjoy it, but they do it out of a cost-benefit analysis; by incurring the short-term costs of studying now, they can secure a higher amount of satisfaction in the future. Think about it; if you had studied 1-2 hours a day for the past week, would you be feeling as discontent as you do now? Wouldn't your next exam be easier for you? Wouldn't you feel less guilty when you're genuinely trying to relax and do the things you're interested in? And the effort you put in culminates in the end, and it will really open doors to you that would otherwise be closed. Imagine being rejected from the course you had your eyes set on during your HSC year, only because you didn't put an extra 1-2 hours of studying each week into a certain subject. It would have saved you time, money, disappointment, and would have secured you a solid path into a satisfying career, and a peace of mind.

So honestly, just do the work. It doesn't matter if you have motivation for your subjects or not, just spend an hour or two a day to read over the content to get it (even if minimally), and write some short sentences in your notes so you can study off of them later when exam period comes. (I sure as shit didn't enjoy studying for English, but somehow I talked myself into sitting through many dozens of practice essays, even though I seriously did not enjoy doing them.) It's all just a cost-benefit analysis. And sacrificing short-term enjoyment for long-term gains is always worth it. It's like chess; you sacrifice your queen if it means you'll have their king where you want it, and even though a queen is a big loss, it's nothing compared to the ultimate result of the game.

Best of luck! Your best years are ahead of you, so make sure you prepare for them!

Last edited:

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
I'm going to be as blunt as possible and am not trying to be rude at all, just constructive.
Hopefully others below can give some hints on how to make studying more enjoyable for you, as that seems to be the main problem. However, I think maybe you need to accept the fact that perhaps you are lazy (and making a giant list of reasons why you are not studying instead of just sucking it up and studying is not really helpful). For context, I would say I am a relatively smart person, considering my environment, but it has taken me years to realise that also I am lazy af. Yes I know I would get better grades if I studied more, but the fact is that I don't. My potential for higher marks does not make me superior to others who put in so much effort and get the same results as me. They put in the time and focus to achieve their full potential (even though they may hate studying, like you) and I rely on my brain to not do those things and read 60 books a year instead of getting straight HDs.
From my experience of being in a similar boat to you, I think you have two options.
a) Accept the fact that you are lazy and you will not be the best student you can be
b) Accept the fact that you are lazy, sit down, buckle up, and just do the work man

I do the former and am happy with it and my marks and my life for a number of reasons, but that's just me. If you are not happy with this method, which you are clearly not because you're asking for help, then you need to study more and focus more. In saying that, hopefully another BoSer can be more helpful than me and give you actual tips on how to do so rather than me just roasting myself and you lol. Step 1 is acknowledging the problem isn't your unfortunate lack of motivation/enjoyment. The problem is that you are not performing to the standards that you want to, and although you have identified the reason why (lack of studying and self-discipline) you are making excuses as to why you can't.

I really hope you don't take this the wrong way because I am trying to be helpful, but like I said, hopefully other people can be more helpful and actually provide you with tips to overcome these problems.
It's blunt, but that's okay; I deserve some harsh advice. :p
Yeah, others will understandably think that I'm just making excuses for not doing really well at school, but the main problem is not actually that I'm underperforming (I'm not, actually- I'm doing well enough for now, and somehow, most of my marks have been improving despite my lack of dedication), it is actually my lack of motivation and self-discipline that are the main problems and that cause problems for me at home and at school.
Doesn't matter - thanks for the advice anyway. :)

Last edited:

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
From reading the post, it seems clear to me that you would like to do well. And I assume that means you understand that in the not-too-far future, your parents will cease looking after you financially, and you either move into a job that you enjoy, or be forced to make ends meet in a far less desirable manner.

It's a very good thing you be able to enjoy your subjects, but to be completely honest, that doesn't matter. It's important to have passion, but you're not being schooled for your passion. You're been educated out of a fundamental necessity: to be well-off. That doesn't mean you don't have a choice; you can choose to put in some real effort, and grind through hours of studying subjects you loath to get a good shot at getting into a career that you may genuinely enjoy and feel comfortable in, or you can choose to opt out of the education system and try find a different way to make ends meet.

Majority of students put in the effort to study not because they necessarily enjoy it, but they do it out of a cost-benefit analysis; by incurring the short-term costs of studying now, they can secure a higher amount of satisfaction in the future. Think about it; if you had studied 1-2 hours a day for the past week, would you be feeling as discontent as you do now? Wouldn't your next exam be easier for you? Wouldn't you feel less guilty when you're genuinely trying to relax and do the things you're interested in? And the effort you put in culminates in the end, and it will really open doors to you that would otherwise be closed. Imagine being rejected from the course you had your eyes set on during your HSC year, only because you didn't put an extra 1-2 hours of studying each week into a certain subject. It would have saved you time, money, disappointment, and would have secured you a solid path into a satisfying career, and a peace of mind.

So honestly, just do the work. It doesn't matter if you have motivation for your subjects or not, just spend an hour or two a day to read over the content to get it (even if minimally), and write some short sentences in your notes so you can study off of them later when exam period comes. (I sure as shit didn't enjoy studying for English, but somehow I talked myself into sitting through many dozens of practice essays, even though I seriously did not enjoy doing them.) It's all just a cost-benefit analysis. And sacrificing short-term enjoyment for long-term gains is always worth it. It's like chess; you sacrifice your queen if it means you'll have their king where you want it, and even though a queen is a big loss, it's nothing compared to the ultimate result of the game.

Best of luck! Your best years are ahead of you, so make sure you prepare for them!
Thank you for this somewhat philosophical advice. :p I feel like I've finally been given a wake-up call, so hopefully I can actually apply this advice. I'm glad to realise that most students study really hard not necessarily because they like studying, but just for the practical benefits. :)

stopcrying

HSC
philosophical rant:

Ask yourself the question: do i want to be happy in this short time i have on earth? Do i want to be great and maximize the potential i know i have within me? Do i care about being mediocre?
if your answers are anything but 'absolutely', then recognize that you're wrong and need to change this.

Moreover, I know you have no ambition and have no goals. But seriously, this is integral. You need to have a purpose for everything you're doing. Even if it's simply 'I want to be successful' or 'i want to be something great' etc ; if you believe that with all your heart it will push you to greater things. Think optimistically and continue planting that seed in your mind until you believe it with utmost certainty. There will be a voice in your head telling you no, that voice will continue to put doubts in you, continue to say 'lets think negatively about this', continue to say 'lets not do any work because i dont wanna do shit' you have to continue to suppress and disregard this until all that is left is the optimistic voice in your mind that wants the best for you in life.

In regards to study techniques:
This works for me personally. You have to learn to be uncomfortable. Learn that studying isn't easy and requires sheer discipline. And Discipline can be trained.

try pomodoro technique.
the basics of it is:
1.you work for 25 minutes and rest for 5 minutes
2. After the 4th work interval you take a 15 minute rest
3. repeat

have yourself tasks to do, give 100% focus in these time intervals,
count the amount of intervals you're accumulating, it all adds up and you will look at it and be like "damn i really did 200 minutes of study?!"

This was the first study technique that really worked for me and i learnt this AFTER having done 1 term of year 12 and improved immensely in my half yearlies.
So imagine how much benefit it going to give you mastering it BEFORE year 12!

Ive soon adapted it and changed it FOR ME PERSONALLY, you can try it if you want:
1. play a 40 minute playlist of instrumental music (Uyama Hiroto and Nujabes are good, just create playlists with songs that have no lyrics)
2. you'll know when its time to rest because the playlist will end and there will be silence
3. rest for 15-20minutes
4. move on to another playlist

Good albums are:
Uyama Hiroto - Freeform Jazz (remove all songs with lyrics)
Uyama Hiroto - Freedom of the Son (remove all songs with lyrics)
Nujabes - Spiritual State (remove all songs with lyrics)
Blazo - Colors of Jazz (remove all songs with lyrics)
Blazo - Colors of Jazz 2 (remove all songs with lyrics)

Sunnyindahouz

HSC
philosophical rant:

Ask yourself the question: do i want to be happy in this short time i have on earth? Do i want to be great and maximize the potential i know i have within me? Do i care about being mediocre?
if your answers are anything but 'absolutely', then recognize that you're wrong and need to change this.

Moreover, I know you have no ambition and have no goals. But seriously, this is integral. You need to have a purpose for everything you're doing. Even if it's simply 'I want to be successful' or 'i want to be something great' etc ; if you believe that with all your heart it will push you to greater things. Think optimistically and continue planting that seed in your mind until you believe it with utmost certainty. There will be a voice in your head telling you no, that voice will continue to put doubts in you, continue to say 'lets think negatively about this', continue to say 'lets not do any work because i dont wanna do shit' you have to continue to suppress and disregard this until all that is left is the optimistic voice in your mind that wants the best for you in life.

In regards to study techniques:
This works for me personally. You have to learn to be uncomfortable. Learn that studying isn't easy and requires sheer discipline. And Discipline can be trained.

try pomodoro technique.
the basics of it is:
1.you work for 25 minutes and rest for 5 minutes
2. After the 4th work interval you take a 15 minute rest
3. repeat

have yourself tasks to do, give 100% focus in these time intervals,
count the amount of intervals you're accumulating, it all adds up and you will look at it and be like "damn i really did 200 minutes of study?!"

This was the first study technique that really worked for me and i learnt this AFTER having done 1 term of year 12 and improved immensely in my half yearlies.
So imagine how much benefit it going to give you mastering it BEFORE year 12!

Ive soon adapted it and changed it FOR ME PERSONALLY, you can try it if you want:
1. play a 40 minute playlist of instrumental music (Uyama Hiroto and Nujabes are good, just create playlists with songs that have no lyrics)
2. you'll know when its time to rest because the playlist will end and there will be silence
3. rest for 15-20minutes
4. move on to another playlist

Good albums are:
Uyama Hiroto - Freeform Jazz (remove all songs with lyrics)
Uyama Hiroto - Freedom of the Son (remove all songs with lyrics)
Nujabes - Spiritual State (remove all songs with lyrics)
Blazo - Colors of Jazz (remove all songs with lyrics)
Blazo - Colors of Jazz 2 (remove all songs with lyrics)
Thanks so much. BTW, can't help but notice how your username relates to my original post - that's just lol-worthy.
Well, okay, I do have some career goals in mind and I have a life dream, but I tend to lose focus on them as soon as I sit down to try and study, and then I think "what are the chances of me achieving that anyway? Might as well just read another 20 posts on BoS and BS some of this assignment during class tomorrow."
I have tried the Pomodoro technique multiple times, but my procrastination tendency is such that I can't even focus for 25mins (especially if it's a computer task- I'd just go onto YouTube). I ended up daydreaming to pass the 25mins if I wasn't doing a computer task. (Yeah, there's a hell of a lot of work I need to do with regards to self-discipline.) I might try it again anyway, because if it works for you, then surely it should work for me, considering I am not actually as dumb as I make myself out to be in my OP lol.

The playlist idea is good as a timer, but I personally don't focus well with music, and I think technically it's not a good study habit, because we don't get to take music with us to the exams, and we should try and be as prepared for exams as we can.

Thank you for your advice. :)

P.S. Before anyone suggests apps for beating procrastination, I use Microsoft Edge all the time, which doesn't have extensions like StayFocusd and stuff. I've tried Cold Turkey (don't want it again- I could never access the blocked websites on my computer again because it glitched and then I deleted it) and StayFocusd - as far as I'm aware, it's only available on Chrome; I really liked it, though- it's cool.

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks so much. BTW, can't help but notice how your username relates to my original post - that's just lol-worthy.
Well, okay, I do have some career goals in mind and I have a life dream, but I tend to lose focus on them as soon as I sit down to try and study, and then I think "what are the chances of me achieving that anyway? Might as well just read another 20 posts on BoS and BS some of this assignment during class tomorrow."
I have tried the Pomodoro technique multiple times, but my procrastination tendency is such that I can't even focus for 25mins (especially if it's a computer task- I'd just go onto YouTube). I ended up daydreaming to pass the 25mins if I wasn't doing a computer task. (Yeah, there's a hell of a lot of work I need to do with regards to self-discipline.) I might try it again anyway, because if it works for you, then surely it should work for me, considering I am not actually as dumb as I make myself out to be in my OP lol.

The playlist idea is good as a timer, but I personally don't focus well with music, and I think technically it's not a good study habit, because we don't get to take music with us to the exams, and we should try and be as prepared for exams as we can.

P.S. Before anyone suggests apps for beating procrastination, I use Microsoft Edge all the time, which doesn't have extensions like StayFocusd and stuff. I've tried Cold Turkey (don't want it again- I could never access the blocked websites on my computer again because it glitched and then I deleted it) and StayFocusd - as far as I'm aware, it's only available on Chrome; I really liked it, though- it's cool.
Personally when doing any subject I've compiled my own playlist with songs that motivate me like like nightcore, anime openings, remixes of popular songs, etc, and it motivates me to do work so I guess try listening to any music you like. It just helps me work faster and stay motivated.

Also I procrastinate a lot too but I just stay up really late everyday to combat this and do homework !

laurajayne_

HSC

I agree re the music :) :) I was the same ... could never study with music.

Perhaps you are just a very distractible individual like me :lol: and now that I'm well and truly into the workforce, i STILL find myself being undisciplined in regards to time.
RE Pomodoro, I found a phone app called clear focus helps alot (i use this at work). It shows the countdown timer and lets you know when you can have a break.

also a few tiny study tips from a fellow procrastinator/super-distractible person:

1. i found if i had a list to tick off or go by for study i did alot better. i used to print out the curriculum and tick it off as I revised each section. This makes you feel great for what you accomplished and also obviously means you cover everything they can possibly test you on.

2. being a creative personality, words-only study didint work for me. I found by illustrating or drawing mindmaps, anything on my notes, i remembered it alot better. eg. for Science no kidding i printed a pic of the heart and coloured the different sections etc... best memory jogger ever :lol:

3. apparently orange makes your brain remember more. i tried it. if nothing else it makes your study more interesting haha

4. Get a study buddy. Anyone. Even your Mum/parent. Some learners learn best by speaking. I used to explain my Legal Studies notes to my mum .. .she probably hardly cared but for me, my brain, explaining things to people made me remember them and also reinforced in me that i knew them

The brain remembers things by reading, more so by writing, but even better by speaking.

hope these help :):)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)