I don't understand this question!!! (1 Viewer)

ghuy

HSC
This question is driving me nuts!! Can anyone please explain to me the difference between these two questions:

1) Explain with examples some of Maimonides’ main contributions to the development and expression of Judaism.

2) “From Moshe (Moses of the Torah) to Moshe (Moses Maimonides) there arose none like Moshe.” Using the above statement and your knowledge of Judaism, analyse the significance of Moses Maimonides in the development and expression of Judaism.

Please help, any advise is invaluable!!!!!!!

Last edited:

fatassmcfat

HSC
Lol they look the exact same, but if they are both included in the same assignment maybe you could think of it like 1) is asking for some general contributions of Maimonides whilst 2) is focusing more on the unique contributions he made, or maybe it even implies there are some parallels between the manner in which Moses and Maimonides propogated Judaism. Btw I am not sure cause my class hasn't even started studying the religions yet

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Ok wow my SOR assignment right now is identical to that :O but we have a different quote...

Anyways, I talked about his three main texts: The Thirteen Articles of Faith, The Mishneh Torah and also the Guide for the Perplexed. For each one talk about what it is and its function (basically all three kinda summarise the Torah in words that all Jews could understand, therefore making the religion more accessible to its adherents). I'd also mention something about the controversy he caused and the burnings of his books by rabbis who disagreed, and how it got the point where Judaism expreienced a near schism.
If you have time also make reference to his lasting influence in today's society; his works as a physician helped to address many rising ethical issues due to advancementts in medicine (this would be relevant if your school does bioethics)

The quote is simply saying that Maimonides has as great an impact on the religious tradition as Moses. Something you could mention is that Moses brought Jews the Torah and the Mishnah from God on Mt. Sinai, and Maimonides took these words and restated them so that its meaning would not be lost over time and would remain central to the Jewish tradition.

That's pretty much an overview, but for everything put in quotes. From the Torah, the Talmud, from Maimonides and if you can, relevant (and reliable) rabbis.

Hope that helped :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)