I don't understand why i'm doing so badly in general maths (1 Viewer)

entartung

HSC
Hey guys,

For the first exam i got 62% and the second, 70%. I'm currently ranked 52/60. These marks are definitely poor, especially for a subject which is supposed to be quite simple. I don't really understand why i'm getting these marks? I do all my homework and i did past papers, so plenty of practise.

Last edited:

Frostguard

HSC
LMAOOO same I'm garbage at general maths, literally have no mathematical ability whatsoever
I think it's just the nature of your personality, you're just like, bomb af at English and other essay-based subjects but when it comes to maths I'm scraping Band 4s, it might sound really dumb but despite past papers after past papers, like me, you would think we'd have confidence going into an exam, I mean yeah general maths should be a simple subject and at first you understand it but when the exam comes you interpret as it would be a past paper question, thinking you're doing it right but realistically you're using the wrong formula or you can't approach the question because you don't know how to answer it.
In this case, I think despite the marks and the associating disappointment, you still just need to do past papers, chapter reviews and do the difficult questions that might be in the test, it's like low risk low reward for people like us, but if you have the right mindset and approach the exam with relative confidence, then maybe, just maybe, you'll finally be happy with an exam result.
Also your ranking is 14/16, which is not necessarily a bad thing because it means your cohort is strong (or maybe just because it's genny maths but whatever lol), 13 other students performed well in their exams which indicates that it's not necessarily the exam that's the problem, it could just be that you find it difficult to approach mathematical equations and concepts say compared to English, where you can just write whatever you want, whereas in maths you gotta get straight to the point and answer the bloody question.
TLDR; don't be too disappointed in your mathematical performance, I'm in the exact same situation you, good at everything else but bad at maths lol, you could ask to see other students' exams and see how they approached their questions and you could compare with yours and why you're getting the questions wrong, good luck though!!!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't know how helpful these tips are, but maybe they can help
1. Try and imagine that you are doing the exam, and then the marks that you receive back are really "good"
2. Try to simulate exact exam conditions with other people taking the test, and have someone who is the "proctor" for the test
3. Talk to your psychologist about this, they may have some strategies that can help.
4. If eligible, maybe special provisions that include extra time and separate room to lessen the anxiousness?
5. It might even be that you aren't doing enough Past Papers for your ability to retain maths.

studygirl118

HSC
Hey guys,

For the first exam i got 62% and the second, 70%. I'm currently ranked 14/16. These marks are definitely poor, especially for a subject which is supposed to be quite simple. I don't really understand why i'm getting these marks? I do all my homework and i did past papers, so plenty of practise. And my tutor also believed that i was well prepared for my exams. But i do find a few concept difficult such as financial maths (hence the tutor). I'm also sure its not an issue of exam anxiety.

General is somehow my worst subject by far, surpassing 'harder' subjects such as eng adv and eng ex. I really don't understand what i'm doing wrong. Do i just not have an aptitude for maths? I feel like my brain doesn't really absorb mathematical content and i don't fully understand concepts? And i hold an underlying suspicion that i have ADD (not diagnosed, but mentioned by my psychologist). I can't even drop it since i'm on 10 units.

Anyway, insight/advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
Finally someone that feels my pain!!! I do practice papers too and I’m still getting the same results as you. However I just think it’s because I’m more of an English / writing subject kinda person and therefore don’t really have a natural aptitude for maths ( which is most likely similar to you). The good news is that your cohort seems very strong, I’m getting similar marks to you but I’m like 32 / 90 or something haha. So just keep on keep in’ on. Maths is hard because at the end of the day yoyou could think you understand something, but once you get into the exam room and don’t know how to approach a particular question, you’re kinda screwed no matter how much study you do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)