i dunno how to.... (1 Viewer)

tororo-kun

i dunno how to elaborate and create a sophisticated essay......
my teacher says my essays are too general and, i am unable to provide deep indept information can someone help?:(

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i actually have the same comments
maybe meet with ur teacher for help?
but anyway, i skim over things too quickly, i think instead of going "heres a tech, here's the change shown" u have to develop it more
like begin with what it was like before, come up with numerous techniques or numerous changes in the text,

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
meet with your teacher and ask them specifically what it is your doing thats holding you in low-band essays and how you can improve on it, without knowing your specific problem i cant really offer more advice

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
hmm, you should decide on the idea of change you wish to discuss. and relate that to your text/supp. texts. think about the before/after of change. talk about how the language techniques contribute to the idea of change the composer is trying to convey.
rather than just stating the change, you need to think about the context, the implications.. etc (depending on your texts) and it's very important that you discuss that with a language analysis.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
I agree,
ask yourself, "How does this change affect the values in this text?, does context play a role? what is the meaning of a change in context? How does the author create this feeling of change? Is this effective or not?

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
you should create your own thesis - ur own theory/idea abt change and try to define it in the intro......this will help u to keep to the topic and build arguments that support your thesis, hence a more specific and targeted essay instead of a general one.

i know this mihgt sound overboard, but in reality, if you really want an outstanding A essay, you need about 2-3 quotes for each point and for each text. For the Section C essay, we are usually looking at 3 texts and assume that u have 3 arguments, that means 3 quotes x 3 arguments x 3 texts = 27 quotes altogether. The quotes dunt have to be long, but you must have them. Furthermore for those who are doing poetry, the number of your quotes should be more because you can't just do one poem, at least 2 poems is substantial.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
u know what, i've just decided bs isn't waffle. waffle is going on and on and that's now what u wanna do. bs is expanding on what u know to make it sound good and answer the question, and that's what they want u to do.

tororo-kun

Originally posted by natstar
in a word: BULLSHIT

Make ur essay sound interesting and intelligent by throwing in some nice, big words that will impress the markers. The subject IS ENGLISH, so do just that. Put some nice words in it and make it sound good. Worked for me, is all i can say.

Other stuff is basically what truly_in_bliss said.
Structure ur essay so its not all over the place
Use plently of quotes from the texts
U rown thoughts on change. Find some famous quotes that can be related to all aspect sof change and use them to support ur aguments.
i tried doin that my teacher said it was too "wordy"....yeh

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
Originally posted by tororo-kun
i tried doin that my teacher said it was too "wordy"....yeh

yeah a lot of students (and including myself at times) *trip* oursevles by being too wordy. Although there is a need to bring flair and academic excellency into ur essay, overwriting and excessive use of big words will lose the marker and then ur marks.

JOhnNiLiCiouS

HSC
and you have to make sure that you use the words correctly. Have been told off several times for not doing so.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
yeah, my teacher is a senior hsc marker and ht english @ my skool, and she said one of the most common hsc probs they come up against are the kids trying to use really big fancy words, but not using them right, so it is just queer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)