I feel so dispondant... (1 Viewer)

timrie6

HSC
N/A
Australian_Idol said:
Yeah, I guess. My parents are so annoying.
I can't believe they are still whinging about your marks
fuckers.

They'll get over it soon enough, they should be proud of you. Even I am proud of you, and I don't even know you. lol.

you're in the top 10% of the state ffs. You're doing exactly what you want. And you would be doing the same thing if you got 98.

90, 98, same thing. You need to relax and move on to bigger and better things than silly rankings. Especially when your ranking is brilliant.

I notice you will be joining me at usyd? excellent. You should add me to msn.

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
ZEppelin, I think you have to remember that no matter what UAI you got, you could always have tried a little bit harder. And that's something you have to deal with if you want to be able to move on and lose that sense of regret.

I understand totally what you're feeling, because I am a perfectionist and you sound like you've experienced some of the same things as me - no matter how well you go, there's always a feeling you could have done even better.

Before I got my results, I was desperately hoping I would get over 95. In my wildest dreams, I wanted 96 or 97. So I was absolutely stoked when I got 98+. But after a while, the shock of getting my UAI wore off, and I started to feel dissapointed in it. This is crazy, because no one can deny that I got a great mark (not trying to sound egotistical, but I really hate it when people say "I got 99. I suck, I wanted 100.") The only reason I was disappointed was that I realised that if I had made the HSC my absolute top priority, I would have tried harder, and maybe cracked 99. I didn't spend all of stuvac studying, and I ended up cramming like I have never crammed before. For my second last exam, I started studying the night before - I'm not exaggerating - and by the time I got to my last exam I studied the morning of it and that was it.

BUT - although I could have tried harder, and maybe done better, it may have been my downfall. I've never been a huge study person, and I really admire those people who can pace themselves. I can't - I always leave it to the last minute and then do 12 hours straight cramming. That's just how I work. I found year 12 stressful enough the way I did it, and the fact that I made time for seeing friends, being with my boyfriend, and keeping up my dancing is probably what kept me sane throughout the year. Sure, I could have given those up to concentrate on studies, but I probably would have burnt myself out.

If I had gotten 94, I probably would have spent the entire time wishing I had gotten 95. Right now, I wish I had gotten 99. But if I had, I would probabl be wishing I had gotten 100.

In the end, we worked hard. We could always have worked harder, but maybe it wouldn't have been worth it. Basically what I'm trying to say (in a very long winded way) is that there is always something more you could have done, but there's no point dwelling on it because you chose your priorities and did it the way you did it. And maybe that's for the best anyway.

Last edited:

magician

HSC
Zeppelin- I understand your feeling, I have great regrets about Year 12, despite doing quite well. However, as some of the others here have pointed out, don't dwell on the past, it is not worth it. Look forward to the future which I'm sure will be quite bright, and focus on all the positive things ahead such as the fact you are going to be doing your course that you wanted to do- congratulations on getting into it! :) Basically...

DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY :p

gemita

Raube Hohle convert
HSC
pirate said:
all i can say is thats it a bit of paper in the end. nothing more, nothing less
That's true, and in a year nobody will care what we got, but I guess the people who are most disappointed feel that way because they are their own biggest critic. It's not really about living up to other's expectations, or the fact that you want to be able to brag about your great marks, it's (for me anyway) just what that piece of paper represents. It is only a bit of paper, but hey, you worked your arse off for a year to get it, and if it doesn't feel worth it, that's pretty disappointing.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
I seriously couldn't care less about my mark now - I feel no regret and I am happy -got into the course I want, even though my mark was about 10 less than was expected of me.
Relax guys

timrie6 said:
I can't believe they are still whinging about your marks
fuckers.

They'll get over it soon enough, they should be proud of you. Even I am proud of you, and I don't even know you. lol.

you're in the top 10% of the state ffs. You're doing exactly what you want. And you would be doing the same thing if you got 98.

90, 98, same thing. You need to relax and move on to bigger and better things than silly rankings. Especially when your ranking is brilliant.

I notice you will be joining me at usyd? excellent. You should add me to msn.
Thanks for the advice. Hey man, I guess I'll be seeing you in USYD. What's your msn email? Message me.

Last edited:

somechick

HSC
N/A
yeah well buddy, at least you got that 90. Other people like me missed out by a crappy .30 or worse .05.
Be happy darnit. At least everyone will think your a 90's kid and not an 80's even its only a measly .30.
Besides, all your achievements add up to one finality: whether or not you get a job. If you do eventually, good for you.
No matter what you do there will always be people below you. (except uni of course...thats all the smart kids in one room..at least at school you had those others.......................
jj) lol

Z

Zeppelin

Thanks guys, believe it or not, this has really helped. Too bad I had to go and fail my P's test this morning. I was robbed. Mark of 89. What's worse is that it's only little things that made me fail. I did all the hard stuff perfectly.

BTW, timrie, I'm also a USYD student next year. Engineering and Science double degree. If you want a Gmail account, let me know. :)

nuffsaid

BOS Founder
HSC
nigga please, get over it you cry baby
if you're not entirely happy, go fucken do year 12 again

fornstar

QUEENSLANDER!!!!
HSC
wat u bitchn bout bitch??? u got wat u wanted, i dont c the problem. mayb if u spent more time studying and less time bitchn, u might of went better

xsb

You have got to be kidding me.
You're telling me that u achieved all ur goals and still not happy cos u couldve gone better?
Well it wouldnt have mattered if you got a 95 UAI if you made the course that you wanted with a lower UAI.

IMO, just have a cry and go do ur dream course at uni that u got into.

Z

Zeppelin

What makes you think I'm going to be insulted by people that type like 5 year olds? I feel like I just lost 10 IQ points trying to read your crap.

Sonik

HSC
N/A
possibly one of the sadest things I have ever read...not the points raised in your essay there...but the fact that you bothered to spill your guts to a bunch of kids who in reality shouldn't really care about your sack of a story...it also screams out to others that you didn't have any friends to speak about this with...or you just simply desired attention...my aim is not to get you to grab a rope...just to get you to get over your pathetic fucking situation...200 000 people just died in a Tsunami...wake up to yourself...be thankful for everthing you have...hopefully you do have some good friends...so get over it...give them a call & get down to a pub/club...have a few drinks & enjoy everything that you have...Best a luck.

rantman

HSC
N/A
Zeppelin said:
I honestly don't know quite why. I got everything I could have asked for: a UAI over 90, and the course I wanted at the university of choice. And yet, when I see how many people on here did well, as well as my friends, and then read that marks were easier to come by this year (2004) more than ever, I can't help but feel like I could have done better.

I did well in Advanced English, ever my Achilles heal, and in fact, it was my second best examination mark. In the SDD test, I missed at least 15 marks because I spent to long on certain questions, yet I still got a mark of 83. I guess I shouldn't be so annoyed about this in particluar, because the extra time I spent on the questions might be the reason I did so well with what I did answer. However, that thought is helpful, but I still can't escape the feeling that I might have done a bit better.

For Mathematics I made some very stupid misatkes that I think would have cost me several marks. I wasn't worried about Maths Ext (dispite getting a years worth of tutoring), and I realised the test was so hard it wouldn't have mattered whether or not I'd studied harder for it (I spent the time on SDD, instead). Chemistry was my lowest mark, when, before I got my marks back, I was sure it would be my highest. I had no problem with Physics, I got a band 6 with a mark of 93.

I don't want to sound egotistical, because I am generally quite modest about these things, but all through school I was the best in everything. There was nothing I couldn't do, and I was always better than everyone at it. It's so hard to accept a UAI as average as 90.95 when I see so many people at the open days with 98+. It's not that I didn't put the work in, hell, I had more than a few 10 hour days leading up to my exams. I worked as hard as the best of you.

I don't go to a private or selective school (although I could have), which I guess is in part the reason I didn't do as well as some of you here. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm sure you all put in a lot of hard work, but it helps when you have excellent teachers acorss the board. I had to teach myself Chemistry, SDD, and English (and I will be ever grateful to the many users on these boards that helped me do that). I did go to a Catholic school, and I came fourth, I believe, in terms of UAI. A lot of teachers congratulated my HSC marks, but then I see so many people have done the same sorts of courses I have done, some even harder. It just makes the UAI feel so empty, because I can no longer fall back on the excuse that "they were really hard subjects".

I don't know. Maybe this sounds like some stupid angsty rant by a moron. I just needed to get it off my chest, and share it with others who might feel the same way. Half the people I know didn't care about school, and those that did got better marks than I did, so it makes things hard to discuss with them.
"After you have done the best you can, the hell with it." - Joseph P. Kennedy

Z

Zeppelin

Sonik said:
possibly one of the sadest things I have ever read...not the points raised in your essay there...but the fact that you bothered to spill your guts to a bunch of kids who in reality shouldn't really care about your sack of a story...it also screams out to others that you didn't have any friends to speak about this with...or you just simply desired attention...my aim is not to get you to grab a rope...just to get you to get over your pathetic fucking situation...200 000 people just died in a Tsunami...wake up to yourself...be thankful for everthing you have...hopefully you do have some good friends...so get over it...give them a call & get down to a pub/club...have a few drinks & enjoy everything that you have...Best a luck.
Dude, just shut the fuck up right there. Don't give me the bullshit comparison to the tsunami, that has no bearing on this topic at all. I bet you worry about all sorts of things even more trivial than this.

I'm not an attention whore, and as I stated in my first post (which you obviously didn't bother to read completely, because you're a moron) it's hard talking to close friends, because they either beat me, or I totally smashed them in terms of UAI.

If you don't have anything productive to add to the topic, stay out of it. It's not as hard request, even for someone as stupid as you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)