I finally drove a V8... (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
Damn.. then how did they get in?

Even my car is inconveniently low..
I've scraped the underside once going into a library carpark because the road is on a slope and they needed to build a gutter so the concrete was unsmooth..
Then scraped it again when parking head first in some shopping centre which had a kerb thing that tells you to stop.. people usually go in until their front wheels hit that thing, the underside of my nose hit it !#$@$%#^& Yeah had to do a rear park because my ass is higher than the bonnet
And for Rhodes shopping centre, the area which you go into the carpark.. I have to go uber slow (like 20) or else I'm pretty sure it'll scrape again..

You don't understand the sacrifice for speed and stability ><

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
They got in because the entrance was a normal entrance, but the exit required them to go up a very thin road inside the building extremely slowly (designed for small French cars- not Italian exotics; the Zonda, Ferrari and something else IIRC)... and then when they got to the top, they couldn't come out because of the step between the driveway and the road, so they had to put wooden planks there to get out. It was really funny because it drew such a huge crowd, and despite having so much power under the hood, they couldn't move.

I'm starting to think that maybe I shouldn't put a body kit on my Civic... looks like it could become a pain in the ass later on.

Jiga

Damn.. then how did they get in?

Even my car is inconveniently low..
I've scraped the underside once going into a library carpark because the road is on a slope and they needed to build a gutter so the concrete was unsmooth..
Then scraped it again when parking head first in some shopping centre which had a kerb thing that tells you to stop.. people usually go in until their front wheels hit that thing, the underside of my nose hit it !#$@$%#^& Yeah had to do a rear park because my ass is higher than the bonnet
And for Rhodes shopping centre, the area which you go into the carpark.. I have to go uber slow (like 20) or else I'm pretty sure it'll scrape again..

You don't understand the sacrifice for speed and stability ><
Yeah Ive got the same problem... but its more related to the car having stiff suspension, as a result of this and it being lowered alittle, it has the effect of like bouncing up and then hitting the underside of the car... not a good sound to hear, so Im also limited to very slow speeds and personally I think it isnt worth it but Im not gonna waste money changing it :eek:

The worst speed humps I have seen though are in Lidcombe, dunno if n e one has seen them, but they are down some side street and I shit myself everytime I have to go over them... they look like this:

They are designed so your wheel hits the corners and you go over them, really weird... but since my car is low I usually hit them so the wheel goes into the middle cos Im worried that if I try to go over them like your meant to, Im gonna lose something from my car :mad:

EDIT: That image is what they look like when driving at into them, so the wheels hit the hump on both of its sides :)

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I'm not really knowledgable on speed bumps/steps in the road but from memory, if you angle your car so only one wheel goes over the ledge/step at a time, does that help? I remembered that's what I used to do on my way to my tutor's house to avoid that horrible noise (and it was only on an unmodified Mazda626).

Jiga

Yeah going into them side on is meant to help (Or so I think, you always see heaps lowered cars going into them side on), but going really really really slow has the same effect I think.... like at uni Ive seen cars that look like their an inch off the ground go over the huge speed humps front on but just extremely slowly.

CieL

HSC
Nar going over really really slowly has a slightly different effect.. imagine going front on.. then when you car's back wheels are on the hump, the front tilts towards the ground

Whereas if you go one wheel by one the rear won't get elevated as much thus decreasing your chances of scraping the bottom of the nose

But I've never needed to do the 2nd.. I just creep hahaha.. at uni it's bad.. there's humps every 15m or something all through the uni.. then there's that funny one that you drew.. but it's not as steep.. but it has weird bricks on it so it shakes/vibrates your car if you go over it fast =S It tickled my ear

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
In regards to going over bumps... Aren't you supposed to press the accelerator at a certain time to lift the car up or something like that? Can't remember what my instructor tried to tell me now.. >__>

CieL

HSC
Um.. well I never had an instructor so I wouldn't know

But what I do is I go to my desired speed before the hump.. So my feet aren't on any pedals whilst I'm on the hump and there aren't any jolts or nothing

veterandoggy

A Restless Member
Somewhere yonder where the sun never rises
HSC
seremify007 said:
In regards to going over bumps... Aren't you supposed to press the accelerator at a certain time to lift the car up or something like that? Can't remember what my instructor tried to tell me now.. >__>
well, if you do that in a dropped car with a bodykit, make sure you have enough greens to replace the side skirts.

going sideways helps because your car is lifted off the floor for longer. my uncles driveway is so steep that we cant go up it in our excel, because 2 blocks of metal AT THE FRONT OF THE CAR scrape, yet i can go up in my corolla which has a downward facing fat exhaust, although i have to go up from the neighbour's driveway into my uncles driveway.

IIRC stiff suspension/springs help stop scraping, because the car doesnt bounce as much and hence doesnt reach the bump as you go over it.

maybe the speeding advice is actually when your rear wheels pass over the hump, and not the front ones. ::)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
lol... i remember my Mum's Saab 900i (from many many years ago) was really low and a lot of places caused problems- and that was a stock car!

Luckily for me, my Civic is a normal car and I didn't get body kit.. i've already had quite a few... bumps from going a bit too fast over humps.

CieL

HSC
seremify007 said:
Luckily for me, my Civic is a normal car and I didn't get body kit.. i've already had quite a few... bumps from going a bit too fast over humps.
ALREADYYYY???
*feels the pain*
Meh, I scraped the front underside of the Falcon from going up the ramp too fast, but I didn't care because it's a rental bwahahahha

Jiga

IIRC stiff suspension/springs help stop scraping, because the car doesnt bounce as much and hence doesnt reach the bump as you go over it.
Are you sure? I think my suspension is prity stiff (Got Boge Turbo shocks and Kings Springs) and I bounce up like anything when I go alittle to fast over speed humps! Although it could be a combination of factors, the suspension AND maybe because it has prity fat tyres or something (215's) so it bounces up. Dunno.

my uncles driveway is so steep that we cant go up it in our excel, because 2 blocks of metal AT THE FRONT OF THE CAR scrape, yet i can go up in my corolla which has a downward facing fat exhaust, although i have to go up from the neighbour's driveway into my uncles driveway.
Man I hate steep driveways, especially at servo's or shopping centres. Ive scraped under the front of my car so many times because on occasions its so narrow that you cant avoid going straight on

Last edited by a moderator:

bowman

Bowmanation
HSC
try driving a liberty with 3 coils choped of the spings
1. it's sits less than 100mm off the ground,
2. the ride is so fucking harsh. u feel every bump in the road.

the cannon on the back is flat on the underside from being scraped so much,the diff is scraping. we also had to put a little plastic cover on the underside of the petrol tank because it got ripped off an was scraping on the road.

an we scrape on every speed hump

Jiga

My ride is prity bumpy to. But ummmm isnt cutting springs dangerous? And Im prity sure your car cant be registered with cut springs (Obviously they would have to inspect to know) and there is a minimum ground clearance as well?

CieL

HSC
bowman said:
try driving a liberty with 3 coils choped of the spings
1. it's sits less than 100mm off the ground,
2. the ride is so fucking harsh. u feel every bump in the road.

the cannon on the back is flat on the underside from being scraped so much,the diff is scraping. we also had to put a little plastic cover on the underside of the petrol tank because it got ripped off an was scraping on the road.

an we scrape on every speed hump
Is all that damage worth the lower ride?
Do something about it??

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Unless you plan on racing, I fail to see the practicality (if any) of lowering your car... with all these bloody bumps, edges, ramps, etc... it must be a real pain in the ass to drive.

Jiga

It makes the car look better, and if you do it right (New springs and shocks) it adds abit to handling. I throw my car around so much and Id say thats only made possible by the better handling and fat arse tyres Ive got on it

CieL

HSC
As in... lowering it to the extent that it does damage to the car...?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Does the handling improvement really make that much difference when the car is being driven around in areas where there are bumps/speed humps/etc..? (ie. Surburban and <80km/h area)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)