• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I got a job at Woolworths!!! It's the best place! (3 Viewers)

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Loz#1 said:
So that makes four of us who think Woolworths is shit. To be honest, I wasn't trying to dash the threadstarter's optimism.
No, me either. I guess apart from the complete tedium, the only reason i disliked it was cos of the managers, supervisers and the way they run things. I know for a fact that my store was particularly bad for this. Though other stores work in much better ways.

I did like working on the cigarette counter, where i often was. They said that i was really presentable so they put me there (as the first person a customer sees when they walk in). They just told me to lie about my age if anyone asked.. ("no, i'm 18, i just look younger.") Only problem with cigarette counter is that's where you get the really pissed of customers complaining about everything. But it's the biggest bludge ever. you just stand there and do nothing.

customer: "i don't care if it went through only 2 cents more than it's sposed to, I WANT A REFUND!!!"

customer: "i bought this one kiwi fruit a couple of weeks ago and it's off! Look at this! *brandishes month old furry grey kiwi fruit* I want a replacement."
me: "ummm ok then *stifles laughter* you can go and choose another one."
customer: "can't you go and get one?"
me: "wouldn't you much rather go and get one yourself where you can choose exactly the one you want and make sure it's not off?"
customer: "no, you can get it"..... 10 mins later he decides to go get it himself...

customer: "i bought this meat over a month ago and when i got it, it was off. *hands over a whole packet of absolutely reeking off meat*
me: *resisting the urge to gag* ummm do you have the receipt?"
customer: "no, i bought it from another store and i've had it in my fridge. I keep going to bring it back in..."

ahhh... the joys of working at woolies...

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
oh yeah.. that wasn't supposed to be making you feel bad MissMacbeth. Congratulations on getting the job.

hehe.. woolies memories... funny...

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Yeah, I really only got happiness on the cigarette counter and express lane. It was easier.

OZGIRL86

stuck in a moment
HSC
N/A
congratsMiss macbeth:), I've been waiting to hear from woolies for prob a year and havnt heard back from them at all, way back i handed in one of those paper applications and now every couple of months i renew my net one, still no response..

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
re

Don't worry guys. I'm not feeling bad b/c you guys out there had some bad experiences. I mean, look at me and Kmart!! I spose it depends where you're at and if you hit it lucky with good management.

I totally agree - the checkouts bit is painfully boring, and I'd prefer the cigarette/express checkouts to normal boring stuff. But I love the money that's rolling in!!

I'm pretty much overwhelmed by the heaps of different fruit/veg that I don't know and I guarentee will over sell or something....I must admit - at least with Kmart you just had to swipe and put in the bag...and not worry about weighing etc....

My Woolies is in Lismore NSW. I still like it - again, the management is cool. Everyone is so protective of you, and so far there have been no issues with cancelling shifts or what not. (one girl in my training group works at Subway via traineeship so she needs to finish that and woolies were so open and respectful of it and sat down with her to organise her shifts. I was impressed) Plus, they've already given me about 5 shifts for next week and that's more than I've ever had in a month from Kmart!

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
Good for you MM, you're so lucky you got a good workplace.
Learning vegetables was fun! *cough*
I know so many vegetables now that i never knew existed....
You know what's even more fun? the fact that i knew pretty much every fruit and vegetable code on those stupid little roll things (except the really obscure ones that would only come in once a year or something). Think of all those braincells wasted. lol. I can't really complain about my first superviser, she was really cool. I got really stressed out and sick and couldn't go to school or work and she was really cool about it. She changed my contract to hours i wanted (including 6.5 on Sunday - now that was cool!) so it didn't interffere with school and she organised everything. But just after that she left... and it was never the same... basically when she left the store fell apart. She was the one who organised the manager. She was on the tv commercials too!

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
just a question, why aren't you sposed to work on the cigarette counter if you're under 18? cuz i worked at a newsagent when i was 14, and it was fine

tomorrows_angel

tomorrow is too soon...
HSC
glycerine said:
just a question, why aren't you sposed to work on the cigarette counter if you're under 18? cuz i worked at a newsagent when i was 14, and it was fine
I'm not entirely sure. It was woolies rules, and they were SUPPOSEDLY following the law. Though they kept changing their minds. Initially we could get them, sell them, touch them etc. Then we couldn't get them, but we could scan them through. Then we couldn't touch them, the supervisers had to scan them through for us and then hand them to the customer.... SO frustrating. Then it went in reverse again and we were allowed to do anything. Technically, i think it's illegal to serve cigarettes if you're under 18, e.g. at the cigarette counter, but if someone asks for them on a full register, you can put them through then.

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
Erin's right. In my last few months, they started to implement that rule and I got the shits because I was only a few months off 18. But it depended on the supervisor.

FadeToBlack

lonely sunday friend
HSC
Yeah, it was very strictly over 18's only who were able to handle any cigarettes or tobacco products at all at the Woolworths which i worked at. It's the law, but no ones gonna fucking care really, who would know? It's only the extent that the manager/supervisors feel they could be bothered to cover their own arses that really governs such practices ...different in different stores

Ribbon

FadeToBlack said:
Yeah, it was very strictly over 18's only who were able to handle any cigarettes or tobacco products at all at the Woolworths which i worked at. It's the law, but no ones gonna fucking care really, who would know? It's only the extent that the manager/supervisors feel they could be bothered to cover their own arses that really governs such practices ...different in different stores
I used to work at a Bi-Lo store and we were told that it is not illegal for somone under 18 to handle and sell ciggarettes (it is illegal for alcohol though) but the policy was that wherever possible someone over 18 would be selling the ciggarettes. We used to sell them from every register too, and just walk down to the express lane where they were to get them if someone asked. THEN someone from out store sold cigareettes to an underage from dept health (the dept of health sends underage people in to try and buy from stores and catch them out) and since then the policy is really strict, only people over 21 can sell the ciggarettes, cigarettes only sold through the one register ect...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Ribbon said:
I used to work at a Bi-Lo store and we were told that it is not illegal for somone under 18 to handle and sell ciggarettes (it is illegal for alcohol though) but the policy was that wherever possible someone over 18 would be selling the ciggarettes. We used to sell them from every register too, and just walk down to the express lane where they were to get them if someone asked. THEN someone from out store sold cigareettes to an underage from dept health (the dept of health sends underage people in to try and buy from stores and catch them out) and since then the policy is really strict, only people over 21 can sell the ciggarettes, cigarettes only sold through the one register ect...
can you tell they are underage? many 16 year olds look 20

LoUiE SmOoiE

valentines day sux
HSC
ive worked at woolies for 1 1/2 years and its a pretty good job, i hate being checkouts on long lanes, id rather express or smoke shop...its good pay aswell, for a 17 year old casual u get $9.55, but im permanent part time so i get $1 less...but i get payed for sick days and i recieve annual leave...yeh woolies is alrite...it can get boring and drive u up the wall and sumtimes the time just goes so fukin slow, but other times u hav fun coz u chat 2 ppl and time goes quick...and im only 17 and i can work on cigerettes...altho they say im not suppose to they still put me on it...mayb coz i look old enuf or they just dnt care

Atotoi

Beetroot Strudel Anyone??
HSC
Yeh Woolies is pretty good, however i used to work at KFC.. THAT IS ABSOLUTE RUBBISH!
I know people who used to steal drinks, picnic bars and toys then sell them at school the next day to make it worthwhile.

I condone such activities, but i cant blame them when they earnt $5.20 for the first 6 months .. that was until the 'guvment bumped up the minimum wage.

MissMacbeth

Mrs. Brandon Bruce Lee
HSC
Okay, just about finished my first 2 weeks and already made 500 bucks!!! How cool is that! I'm getting a little annoyed with the "can you work 8hrs?" call ups...they screw up my study and assignment times, but I've already made 3/4 of pay in 2 weeks than Kmart in 6 months!!

I agree with LoUiE SmOoiE - the whole checkouts thing drives me insane! I'd rather kill myself with a spoon than endure taking the customer's shit - the depressing thing I'm learning on checkouts is how stupid my town is....or generally, how moronic the human race is. (lol) the top 5 things that irritate me the most is: 1) when you need a bar code, the customer will ALWAYS say.."it was 2.50" or whatever, even though you have said four times to them, you need a code. 2) The customer explains to you the way bags should be packed...it's like...gee, you fucken think so!?? Noo...I just roll out of bed, with no prior knowledge and just chuck everything I can into a bag b/c I'm a retard checkout chick.....3) Those GODDAMN GREEN ENVIRO BAGS!! omg! I hate them so much! But not as much as the calico ones....For the inexperienced ppl - take pity on the checkout ppl - those bags require 4 hands to manage packing groceries!!!
4) Rude ppl - that's self explanatory & 5) The ppl who turn up at closing time, spend 45 min extra to buy their weekly shopping right then and there...when all three supervisors and even the manager is telling them to politely get the hell out of the store b/c we're all waiting for them!

There are some fun points tho - I love working the closing times with this supervisor who's halarious! She's so fun to stuff around with. And one time we had this insane chick who'd continually buy food - she ended up being in the store a total of 5 hours and had 4 trollys full of food - 700bucks worth!!! She was funny.

meh...that's my woolies log for this week.
MM

cro_angel

<3<3<3
HSC
i dont mind the enviro bags actually.. its like doing my part to help the environment.. and you can fit heaps more into them.. the calico ones suck though because you have to like hold them with one hand and put groceries in
yeh i hate how they always say the price of things when you gotta get the code.. but sometimes if the supervisor is slow i just use another code which is the same price or cheaper

Tenille

the one & only
HSC
yay woolies =/ i can only seem to remember codes with teh word red in them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)