I know bachelors takes 3 years, masters takes 1.5 years HOW long does PHD TAKE????? (1 Viewer)

chrisong1

HSC
N/A
I checked it out for commerce at usyd

it takes 3 years for bahcelors

than 1.5 years for masters

but it doesnt say how long it takes to get the PHD?

HSC
Re: I know bachelors takes 3 years, masters takes 1.5 years HOW long does PHD TAKE???

What's left of your youth

izzy88

HSC
Re: I know bachelors takes 3 years, masters takes 1.5 years HOW long does PHD TAKE???

A PhD normally is 3years minimum, but can take longer. It is a substantial piece of work (100,000 words i think). You normally only do a PhD if you are going into academia or it is necessary for a job (not sure how many jobs are out there though that require a PhD apart from scientists/academia etc).

I wouldn't starting thinking/worrying about PhD's yet...the progress is normally something like this:

Bachelor degree (3 years) ----> honours (1st class- must do really well) (1 year) -----> PhD

or

Bachelor degree (3 years) ----> no honours or honours (2nd class or lower) ---> masters program -----> PhD

Just get through your bachelors degree and then think if you want to do a PhD. A lot can change in 3 years.

Studentleader

HSC
N/A

Someone from Whirlpool had a friend who finished his in 6 months. I'd say 3 years for a PhD.

mmm_brrraains

HSC
N/A

The scholarship money tends to get cut off after 3 - 3.5 years, so you're encouraged to complete in that time (if you're full-time, that is). The time limits on completing a PhD aren't really the same as Bachelor or Master's degrees though. Apparently the ANU record for length of time taken to complete a doctorate is 27 years.

Also this:
Just get through your bachelors degree and then think if you want to do a PhD. A lot can change in 3 years.

glache

HSC
N/A

Apparently the ANU record for length of time taken to complete a doctorate is 27 years.
Wow. If life got in the way that much, I would've quit and not come back.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)