• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I know it's still early days... but... (1 Viewer)

Metamporphosis

HSC
Here are my subjects:

Advanced English
Extension Maths
Ancient History
Software Design
Physics
Studies of Religion

Would it benefit me more to go down to Advanced Maths at the end of the year if I'm still having trouble with 3 unit? Or would it be better to stay with 3 unit because not as many people do it, so it would rank well?

I'm thinking of dropping Ancient History next year if I don't drop down to Advanced Maths... it probably wouldn't benefit me much because alot of people do it, right?

I'm looking to get a UAI of 85 or over for computer science or software engineering at UTS.

carrots please!

not a malcontent
HSC
hmm have you had any assessments yet?

i dropped to general about this time last year because i simply wasnt handling advanced. i'd say if you're really struggling, do away with it...don't base your decisons on supposed scaling.

my friend just dropped ext 1 maths even though she was going really well...she just felt like she was giving it as much time and effort as a 2u subject, way skewed. ditto me with ext1 eng.

if you're coping with the work load - 13 units? - wait till year 12 and then assess your situation based on ranks etc. you might change your mind. also look into assumed knowledge for your course, ancient's probably not gonna help you there

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
I think you should wait a little longer to see if 3 unit is really too hard. You are still at the begining of year 11 - a lot can change before you get to year 12. I think that you shoul stick it out till the end of the year (unless you are doin terribly) and ask your teacher what they honestly think. 3 unit scales well and if you are want to do computer science or software engineering in uni it may be useful.

And then you have the option of dropping ancient at the end of year 11, whereas if you drop 3 unit now you wont have a choice unless you want to be on 10 units.

Metamporphosis

HSC
Well, I got 18/65 in my first maths test and I did the extension test yesterday... I think my problem is that I stress too much and everything just goes out of my brain even though we got given ten minutes beforehand to look over our notes.

Any tips for reducing my stress? Because it seems to happen every time. Also, I tend to have difficulty with the homework because part of me knows that no one at home can help me with it if I have troubles so I tend to have problems with it. :S

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)