I know this sounds stupid, but what equipment do you need for uni? (1 Viewer)

andybandy

HSC
Other then a calculator (unless a special one is required), pens and books is their anything else required?

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Define what "need for uni" means. Need for class? Need for a lecture?

I just bring the books and papers I need (so if I have a tutorial for Economics, I'll bring my Economics textbook; if I have a maths lecture, I'll bring the relevant lecture notes), a small pencil case with pens and highlighters, and some food every day - pretty much.

andybandy

HSC
yeah, I meant for lecture/tutorials I guess,
Do I need to know which textbooks to have yet?

but thanks everyone

madharris

HSC
N/A
yeah, I meant for lecture/tutorials I guess,
Do I need to know which textbooks to have yet?

but thanks everyone
I wouldn't buy a textbook until you know you 100% need it.
i.e. Your lecturer/tutor/friend has told you that it is vital

This is because a lot of the time, you will only use a textbook for a few paragraphs, so it would be worth borrowing it from a library instead

Sent from my LT18i using Tapatalk

andybandy

HSC
Alright, thanks everyone. I was assuming you wouldn't know what you need unless your teachers told you. Thanks again!

D94

HSC
N/A
Well I do Mechanical, so chances are we will have similar items.

I generally bring:
  • wallet
  • keys
  • phone
  • earphones
  • small tablet (for PDFs, internet etc.)
  • compact umbrella
  • pens/highlighter
  • small ruler
  • books (one for each subject unless it's likely I won't need one)
  • calculator (UNSW approved)
  • food
  • water bottle
  • safety glasses (depends on the course)

I would say most are pretty obvious, and some are course dependent as well as day dependent.

ifrit112

HSC
Basically, pen and paper to take quick notes for whatever the lecturer/tutor says/writes. Either a pad of paper, or one torn out of a book will suffice. That way you won't have to bring/carry around too much.
For lectures, especially maths, you may want to bring the lecture notes (posted online beforehand) and fill it out/annotate it during the lecture. This is particularly useful since you won't have to write every second sentence said.

For tutorials, you should also bring other materials like the math course notes and a textbook where needed.
As others have said, textbook is only required when specified by the lecturer.

It is also useful to get yourself organised somehow, at home. Folders or binders or whatever works for you.

Other than that, water and some food will save you heaps.
If you travel far, it may be worth bringing some notes/a textbook to read on the way to uni/back.

andybandy

HSC
Well I do Mechanical, so chances are we will have similar items.

I generally bring:
  • wallet
  • keys
  • phone
  • earphones
  • small tablet (for PDFs, internet etc.)
  • compact umbrella
  • pens/highlighter
  • small ruler
  • books (one for each subject unless it's likely I won't need one)
  • calculator (UNSW approved)
  • food
  • water bottle
  • safety glasses (depends on the course)

I would say most are pretty obvious, and some are course dependent as well as day dependent.
I'm assuming the ear phones are for music mostly?
Thanks for reminding me about the compact umbrella,
if my calculator was HSC approved, would it be most likely UNSW approved?
Other than that thanks!

andybandy

HSC
Basically, pen and paper to take quick notes for whatever the lecturer/tutor says/writes. Either a pad of paper, or one torn out of a book will suffice. That way you won't have to bring/carry around too much.
For lectures, especially maths, you may want to bring the lecture notes (posted online beforehand) and fill it out/annotate it during the lecture. This is particularly useful since you won't have to write every second sentence said.

For tutorials, you should also bring other materials like the math course notes and a textbook where needed.
As others have said, textbook is only required when specified by the lecturer.

It is also useful to get yourself organised somehow, at home. Folders or binders or whatever works for you.

Other than that, water and some food will save you heaps.
If you travel far, it may be worth bringing some notes/a textbook to read on the way to uni/back.
Do you have the link for where the lectures post notes online?
Yeah I do travel far, so i'll probably bring a textbook to read on the way back or something. Thanks !

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
phys is somewhat helpful if you choose to use it but it's not neccessary. don't know about elec
I'll speak to the lecturers and tutors first week about PHYS.

Though why is the MATH textbook not worth it?

Is it because the exams are based on the course pack, or the course pack is just pointing out the important stuff of the textbook (where 50% of the textbook is not relevant to the MATH course) or what?

Many people have said its not worth buying the textbook for MATH but have never really explained why.

D94

HSC
N/A
I'm assuming the ear phones are for music mostly?
Thanks for reminding me about the compact umbrella,
if my calculator was HSC approved, would it be most likely UNSW approved?
Other than that thanks!
Yeah, mainly music, but say if you want to watch a video tutorial or something on the library computers, then as a courtesy, please use ear/headphones.

Most likely. The approved list is here: https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/assessment/examinations/Calculator.html You will have to get a UNSW approved sticker put on it - you can get that at most, if not all, faculty student centres (the Engineering Student Centre has been relocated to Level 4 in the Elec Eng building), and as well as the Physics lab.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)