I need a band 6 in English. (1 Viewer)

cartoonmaiz

HSC
N/A
I really want a band 6 in English Adv but my final rank isn't good 15/85. My school usually get around 8-12 band 6 in English. I was wondering if it was possible to get a 92 for English. This means that I have to get a 95 externally given my internal mark is in the high band 5. I am a person who relies heavily on memorising essays and in the exam I only change a few sentences in my introduction and end of body paragraphs to fit the question.

Any personal experiences would be nice.

deswa1

HSC
I really want a band 6 in English Adv but my final rank isn't good 15/85. My school usually get around 8-12 band 6 in English. I was wondering if it was possible to get a 92 for English. This means that I have to get a 95 externally given my internal mark is in the high band 5. I am a person who relies heavily on memorising essays and in the exam I only change a few sentences in my introduction and end of body paragraphs to fit the question.

Any personal experiences would be nice.
This is your problem. Any marker reading your paper will be able to tell 100% that you've memorised your essay and haven't engaged with the question. The idea behind memorisation is to convince the marker that you are writing a response to that question, regardless of whether what you wrote is very similar to your prepared essay or not. It all depends on the question- my Mod C essay was pretty much my prepared so I could just re-write that with just changing the intro and a few lines throughout but my Mod B required me to do a bit more. Notice that if you looked at my essay on the day and my prepared, I pretty much wrote about the exact same techniques, used the same quotes etc. The difference is that the linking between everything is different. To properly mould an essay to a question, you can't just change the intro and concluding lines imo- you have to sustain linkages to the specific question throughout your essay.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
This is your problem. Any marker reading your paper will be able to tell 100% that you've memorised your essay and haven't engaged with the question. The idea behind memorisation is to convince the marker that you are writing a response to that question, regardless of whether what you wrote is very similar to your prepared essay or not. It all depends on the question- my Mod C essay was pretty much my prepared so I could just re-write that with just changing the intro and a few lines throughout but my Mod B required me to do a bit more. Notice that if you looked at my essay on the day and my prepared, I pretty much wrote about the exact same techniques, used the same quotes etc. The difference is that the linking between everything is different. To properly mould an essay to a question, you can't just change the intro and concluding lines imo- you have to sustain linkages to the specific question throughout your essay.
+9000+

Alkanes

HSC
This pretty much sums up the possible methods for people who are successful in memorising and moulding essays. But in saying so, it is very hard because you're writing under pressure, and I'm 100% sure your ultimate goal is just to write down what you have memorised, not really caring what the question actually asked, thus not being able to engage with the question and sustaining your thesis appropriately.

enoilgam

HSC
This is important to keep in mind if you take the memorised approach. Also, the internal marks havent been determined yet - raw internal marks are moderated by BoS. So, you may not need 95 in the final exam to get an overall mark of 92.

plasticities

HSC
To properly mould an essay to a question, you can't just change the intro and concluding lines imo- you have to sustain linkages to the specific question throughout your essay.
Pretty much this. I went into my exam with one essay per question that my teacher was really happy with and memorised it verbatim. If you go through past questions you can sometimes find a trend, so unless they switch it up majorly, you won't have to do much thinking in the exam. However, last year for module B they threw everyone a curve ball with the question that was aimed to separate people with prepared essays and those who actually had an in-depth understanding of the text. I personally didn't, but half of english is thinking on your feet and essentially proving an argument, and if you can make links to the question and slightly alter how you relay the information then you'll do a lot better than just changing the first and last sentences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)