I need a job. (1 Viewer)

boris

Banned
HSC
alright anyway fuck getting a job is so so easy
so easy

ive had to turn down 2 jobs lately because i already work like 60hrs and cant do any more

get a fucking RSA/RCG do bar work, so easy to get into such easy work and decent pay plus maybe you will learn some social skills you cunt
i would suggest being a brickies labourer or something but you are a little pansy and couldnt handle it but if you werent such a weak cunt it would be good for you to get out into the real world and have a bunch of tradesmen abuse you for a few months
yes of course you are going to have trouble getting a retail job they only hire girls because no one wants a fucking weird Filipino cunt selling them bras or trousers or whatever shit and no one gives a SHIT about your yr10 maths competition distinctions or retarded shit like that they want someone who isnt retarded, isnt a social spastic (you) and is punctual, trustworthy and willing to have a go fuck

b00m

HSC
Uni Grad
ahhahaahhaha the brutal truth

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
no, but I did get a callback as an a receptionist at one.

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
fuck just go to a food court and ask every single joint if they have any positions

obviously its your first job (or you wouldnt be this retarded and asking for help)
so just accept that for your first job, especially while you're in uni, you're going to get a small-ish shit job, probably just casual maybe part time, and most probably in a fast food joint or something of the sort
Is $10 an hour acceptable for 18+ year olds? note: this is not a food court job (they would pay slightly better).

boris

Banned
HSC
would not get out of bed for less than $15 @ 18yrs

Ivorytw

Middle Management
HSC
N/A
I think it's enough if you've got nothing else.

Crap job is better than no job.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
$10 an hour is just being a slave though that's no where near enough (or legal)

If that's what we're talking about

apollo1

Banned
HSC
well it may sound harsh but some people do get cut off financially by their parents when they turn 18. so 10 dollars an hours is nowhere near enough for them with rent, food, going out etc etc.

boris

Banned
HSC
its more than most 1st and 2nd year apprentices so yeah its definitely enough for food, rent and going out

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
m8 to referee in any sport you need experience in both playing and rule enforcement of the game as well as knowing ins and outs of gameplay, little rules and judgements that may not be commonly implemented and yeah just a lot of shit you won't know or be able to do
anyway, unless its in like the nrl or a major sporting league, refereeing or umpiring a sport is something most people only do as a "hobby" in addition to their real job
Oh come on, I'm sure the hundreds of hours I've spent watching cricket would allow me to umpire it decently well... just get me through a workshop so I know what do with people's glasses or hats or whatever and some of the more niche things like byes and the like... and I'm good!

oh come off it, half of those weren't even retail. Perhaps it's your lack of social awareness that leaves you on the bottom of the resumes.
But I haven't submitted a resume yet. That comes later in this thread, or in a new thread.

yeah this, unless you a mad sports fan like major e.g. watch every test, odi and T20 of the summer you ll get fucked over easily. Once i was pressured into doing the centre of a open division 9's (these are your agro shit palyers) and i could rapped in the role. Middle one didnt show up and i was going to run the line. But i am quite confident with the rules and usually run the middle for junior games quite easily.
Oh come on, if they're aggro - and they touch me, 5 penalty runs to the other team =P

Besides, it can't be that bad...

I just think some of the... caught behind or caught at slip could be difficult - especially if you don't hear anything.

fuck just go to a food court and ask every single joint if they have any positions

obviously its your first job (or you wouldnt be this retarded and asking for help)
so just accept that for your first job, especially while you're in uni, you're going to get a small-ish shit job, probably just casual maybe part time, and most probably in a fast food joint or something of the sort
Yeah, I'm trying to play 'smart' by using my connections.

As PaterzAttack said - in most cases (especially at the junior level) - refereeing is a hobby - I usually only referee a few times a year. Even if you know the rules - you can be put under heaps of pressure. Generally speaking, you make a call based on the information you have, and you stick with it. Even if you may be wrong. Bit like moderating. ;)

But yeah, refereeing is quite enjoyable (even if it is a tad stressful from time to time). Correct me if I'm wrong, but even to referee at the local level, I believe you need certain qualifications? I know in volleyball you did.

Shadowdude - as for office admin jobs - since you're doing Commercey - do you have any family/friends/friends of friends who know someone in a professional services environment. Perhaps you could do some work experience there. :)
Uhh, professional services? As in?

alright anyway fuck getting a job is so so easy
so easy

ive had to turn down 2 jobs lately because i already work like 60hrs and cant do any more

get a fucking RSA/RCG do bar work, so easy to get into such easy work and decent pay plus maybe you will learn some social skills you cunt
i would suggest being a brickies labourer or something but you are a little pansy and couldnt handle it but if you werent such a weak cunt it would be good for you to get out into the real world and have a bunch of tradesmen abuse you for a few months
yes of course you are going to have trouble getting a retail job they only hire girls because no one wants a fucking weird Filipino cunt selling them bras or trousers or whatever shit and no one gives a SHIT about your yr10 maths competition distinctions or retarded shit like that they want someone who isnt retarded, isnt a social spastic (you) and is punctual, trustworthy and willing to have a go fuck
RSA? And work at a bar? Heh, might ask Lolsmith about it. And what is this reverting to the 2009 Shadowdude, and making up stuff about my personality?

Is $10 an hour acceptable for 18+ year olds? note: this is not a food court job (they would pay slightly better).
Umm, no.

boris

Banned
HSC
i didnt say you arent punctual i just said you were a 'social spastic'

Azure

Premium Member
HSC
I'm sorry i can't help it but I'm in tears after reading the above

Cannot stop laughing

Shadowdude, professional services as in accounting, finance etc Something related to your degree that you can use as relevant work experience when you apply for a proper full time job after uni. There are heaps of junior roles out there that you can apply for. Check your unis career hub, try seek (use key words like "undergraduate") or alternatively use your contacts to find a job (this is by far the best way to go about it). I would highly recommend this over a fast food/retail job because the experience will benefit you a lot down the road (since it is relevant to your field)

boris

Banned
HSC
^ this

is why im doing a cadetship. experience + networking is the key.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Sorry if this has been mentioned already (couldn't be bothered reading all the posts), but if you lack experience and are having difficulty entering the job market, go for volunteering positions (or similar extra-curricular activities). By its very nature, there is less competition and it's a quick way to develop relevant skills and experience (and pick up some referees). Go to the university careers centre job alerts to see if any good positions come up.

Also, there is nothing wrong with private tutoring at home. If you're good at this, then that's evidence of good interpersonal and communication skills. A similar option would be to try to get into a tutoring centre and teach a class which helps develop presentation skills in front of an audience which is something you don't develop in a retail position.

With respect to 'relevant' experience, while this is desirable it is not essential. Graduate recruiters often refer to the idea of 'transferable skills'. For example, if you did a customer service position at some random store, the skills you acquire from that experience can be applied to providing good services for clients in a finance type role. You do not have to have experience in a financial firm to be able to develop those same skills.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
wait have you even applied for any jobs yet
did not read op

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
i didnt say you arent punctual i just said you were a 'social spastic'
Oh okay... well, not as much as before.

I'm sorry i can't help it but I'm in tears after reading the above

Cannot stop laughing

Shadowdude, professional services as in accounting, finance etc Something related to your degree that you can use as relevant work experience when you apply for a proper full time job after uni. There are heaps of junior roles out there that you can apply for. Check your unis career hub, try seek (use key words like "undergraduate") or alternatively use your contacts to find a job (this is by far the best way to go about it). I would highly recommend this over a fast food/retail job because the experience will benefit you a lot down the road (since it is relevant to your field)
So obviously something finance-y because maths-y stuff doesn't come up all that often. And I can't do much anyway. I'll... take a look.

Sorry if this has been mentioned already (couldn't be bothered reading all the posts), but if you lack experience and are having difficulty entering the job market, go for volunteering positions (or similar extra-curricular activities). By its very nature, there is less competition and it's a quick way to develop relevant skills and experience (and pick up some referees). Go to the university careers centre job alerts to see if any good positions come up.

Also, there is nothing wrong with private tutoring at home. If you're good at this, then that's evidence of good interpersonal and communication skills. A similar option would be to try to get into a tutoring centre and teach a class which helps develop presentation skills in front of an audience which is something you don't develop in a retail position.

With respect to 'relevant' experience, while this is desirable it is not essential. Graduate recruiters often refer to the idea of 'transferable skills'. For example, if you did a customer service position at some random store, the skills you acquire from that experience can be applied to providing good services for clients in a finance type role. You do not have to have experience in a financial firm to be able to develop those same skills.
Volunteering positions? I recently found the UNSW Careers... thing so I'm roaming around there, atm.

wait have you even applied for any jobs yet
did not read op
No, I made the thread to see what suggestions people had.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)