• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

I need help for Dead Poets Society - Year 10 Movie analysis (1 Viewer)

Shavi Masee

HSC
I absolutely suck at English as I've gotten a 7/15 and 4/10 previously.
I had my last exam 3 weeks ago on Twelve Angry Men and SAC questions, I worked really hard to get a good grade for it, but we haven't gotten our results yet.
In prep for year 11, this is the one subject I want to improve on.

How do I study for a movie? (I've just finished watching it)
What should I focus on when writing my essays?
What type of questions could be asked?
pls don't just say something like structure...what in structure, what do teachers look for, is vocab important etc.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Unlike a written text, which only incorporates literary techniques, a film presents both literary and visual techniques that contribute to delivering its overall message. This therefore constitutes the starting point of your preparations, that is, familiarising yourself with a range of literary and visual techniques used in the film, including examples of each. Such examples would be quotes in the case of literary techniques and specific scenes in the case of visual techniques. The good thing about Dead Poets Society (other than being a great film) is that it offers a plethora of these, giving you numerous options to choose from.

Your essays should ideally focus on providing a thorough analysis of the film. Your analysis should discuss numerous literary and visual techniques and specific examples of their incorporation in the film, as well as their effect. Further, your analysis should be directed towards the question. This means that you must establish appropriate links between your main points and the main focus of the question.

This brings us to the type of questions that could be asked. I think that questions are likely to target one or more of the prominent themes in Dead Poets Society. Based on this, it would be good to also familiarise yourself with the main themes of this film and focus on linking specific literary and visual techniques to relevant themes as part of your preparations.

I hope this helps! 😄

Shavi Masee

HSC
Unlike a written text, which only incorporates literary techniques, a film presents both literary and visual techniques that contribute to delivering its overall message. This therefore constitutes the starting point of your preparations, that is, familiarising yourself with a range of literary and visual techniques used in the film, including examples of each. Such examples would be quotes in the case of literary techniques and specific scenes in the case of visual techniques. The good thing about Dead Poets Society (other than being a great film) is that it offers a plethora of these, giving you numerous options to choose from.

Your essays should ideally focus on providing a thorough analysis of the film. Your analysis should discuss numerous literary and visual techniques and specific examples of their incorporation in the film, as well as their effect. Further, your analysis should be directed towards the question. This means that you must establish appropriate links between your main points and the main focus of the question.

This brings us to the type of questions that could be asked. I think that questions are likely to target one or more of the prominent themes in Dead Poets Society. Based on this, it would be good to also familiarise yourself with the main themes of this film and focus on linking specific literary and visual techniques to relevant themes as part of your preparations.

I hope this helps! 😄
Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)