I need help for section I (1 Viewer)

iLLUME

HSC
I just had my trial today and fucked up section I ay. I'm really pathetic when it comes to answering those questions. I'm fine with essay but i find section I really hard! can anyone think of ways to get better for the HSC? are there any websites or books that can help? argh!

lizziegirl

HSC
N/A
29 views and no responses? thats not the BOS i knew *hits everyone*

umm. oks, so u have the comprehension. now, say u get a poem. read it, and try and pick up whats the hidden meaning is behind the metaphors etc. that the poet uses. a good thing to think of, during reading time, is to flick through Section One is to say to urself... 'What is the composer trying to say?' are journeys unpredictable/dangerous/involve taking risks?/overcoming barriers? chances are, the journey will be something like that.

another thing to notice is, 'what jumps out at u?' this is particularly important when it comes to analysing the advertisement/cartoon that BOS likes to throw in2 exams. take a mental note of its most distinctive features. the text and the image complement each other.

the best thing to do is to CALM DOWN! dont panic. take a couple of deep breaths and use up ur 10 min. of reading time wisely. also, look at the marks that are being given for each text. short responses (maybe u can write 2-3 sentences) = 2 marks. longer responses= 5 marks

Last edited:

tkfkd

HSC
Anyone please please PLEASE help me :(
I'm really really struggling at Section 1 due to my awful english, I haven't got much clue(especially this trial paper one) about what the stories is telling about journeys at all.

Can anyone give me at least some hints/clue about these questions or give some sort of answers to assist me! :mad1:

Thank you in advanced~~!! :)

P.S i have attached the Section 1 of this trial paper.

tkfkd

HSC
lizziegirl said:
29 views and no responses? thats not the BOS i knew *hits everyone*

umm. oks, so u have the comprehension. now, say u get a poem. read it, and try and pick up whats the hidden meaning is behind the metaphors etc. that the poet uses. a good thing to think of, during reading time, is to flick through Section One is to say to urself... 'What is the composer trying to say?' are journeys unpredictable/dangerous/involve taking risks?/overcoming barriers? chances are, the journey will be something like that.
This is what I really don't get...I really can't pick up the realy hidden meaning in texts! The short story above, I really really don't get it.

Anyway BUMP. Anyone help me please~ :)

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
tkfkd said:
Anyone please please PLEASE help me :(
I'm really really struggling at Section 1 due to my awful english, I haven't got much clue(especially this trial paper one) about what the stories is telling about journeys at all.

Can anyone give me at least some hints/clue about these questions or give some sort of answers to assist me! :mad1:

Thank you in advanced~~!! :)

P.S i have attached the Section 1 of this trial paper.
That Section 1 is the easiest paper I've ever seen in terms of texts and questions! Where'd you get it from?

tkfkd

HSC
LOL I got it from one of my friend (photocopied it for me). I think it's some schools trial paper
Well I tried past papers before and i found this paper extremely difficult compared to those. :(

Can you help me?

Last edited:

k8kate

Class of 06
HSC
The last qu is always something like "which 2 texts represent the journey best and why" something like that.
Make sure you use ALL 3 of them, comparing and stating WHY its better than the others, what aspects of the journey are conveyed, which aspects ARENT, implied meaning, reader positioning blablabla. being able to compare a text to other ones is good for your marks.
um.
yeah

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
tkfkd said:
LOL I got it from one of my friend (photocopied it for me). I think it's some schools trial paper
Well I tried past papers before and i found this paper extremely difficult compared to those. :(

Can you help me?
For sure! What question are you particularly having trouble with? And also which type of journey did your class do?

tkfkd

HSC
dagwoman said:
For sure! What question are you particularly having trouble with? And also which type of journey did your class do?
Thanks! I'm particularly having trouble with Text two because I cannot understand what it's trying to say about the journey.
Text three question ii. also is bit of problem...

I'm doing physical joruney BTW :)

Thanks in advanced

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Arrghhhh, it's not letting me open the document to look at it again! I'll try again later.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Okay, it's finally let me download it.

The main message of text 2 is that physical journeys can facilitate feelings of freedom in the traveller. Look through the text now with that in mind and examples will be easy to find.

As for text 3 question 2, the traveller journeys from paddocks and farms to the sea.
Farmland:"maize ruffling like a mohair cardigan/raggedly buttoned with cattle"- simile, imagery/word patterns of clothign, symbolic of protection and warmth.

Beach: "seagulls cluttered like litter" again simile, assonance with the "cluttered/litter"

There are heaps more examples but you get the idea. Does that help? Any more questions?

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
NEVER use "emotive words" as a technique. It's NOT a technique and will just piss them off.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
I thought the correct name was "emotive language", I'm pretty sure that that's a technique. Correct me if I'm wrong.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Because it's just not a technique. You could just say anything was "emotive" and not have to back it up. It shows a lack of insight into the text you're analysing and they'll just see it as lazy.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Like you said, it's not a good technique because it's all relative. However, rhyme is rhyme is rhyme: you can't pretend something is rhyme if it isn't, like you can with "emotive language". Such a technique is only lazy if you don't explain why it's siginificant. Saying "rhyme" depicts the hardship of a physical journey is lazy; saying the use of rhyme reflects the frivolity and expected outcome/repetitive nature etc. of a physical journey makes sense and is relevant.

Dr_Doom

HSC
Yeah "emotive words" goes under style. And I'm pretty sure they wont ask you to describe the style of the authors writing. Save that for modules ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)