i need help!!! (1 Viewer)

blondynka

Okay here's my problem: I have 16 units. and im going insane.
im doing: ext(3u) english, ext(3u) maths, chemistry, physics, economics, TVET accounting, and polish continuers. I am SO stressed, and coz im in a selective high school it adds even more stress, AND im getting below-to-average results!! aaahhh!!
I've talked to my careers advisor about what subjects i should drop (i can still drop a few this year because ive got waaaay too many) and ive decided im gonna drop english extension, but now im not sure! I'm keeping 3u maths, chemistry, physics and accounting definately. What should i do with ext english, economics and polish? If i drop all i'll have 11 units (9 @ school). My schools acting deputy principal doesnt want me to drop economics coz she says it'll be too risky ??
I'm not even sure what i wanna do in uni - possibly something (maybe science)combined with commerce, or optometry, or maybe pharmacy. economics, ext english and polish r completely useless. aaahh i dunno what to do!
oh also, if anyone is willing to tutor me (especially in maths), i'd be more than happy :D

my email is angelbird88@hotmail.com

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
ok, 1) accounting can count for the UAI right? because if it can't... drop it. like, i know you like it and all, but i'd say don't overstress yourself over courses that won't count towards even getting into uni

why does minuitti say dropping economics is risky? :confused: are you doing best in it or something? because i don't see how that works. no course is 'useless' for the majority of uni courses, because most uni courses don't have prerequisites (cept for the uai of course).

i'd honestly say (and this is strange coming from me), drop the 3rd unit of english. it's a lot of work for 1u, and if you dislike english, don't bother. you already have to do advanced anyhow.

blondynka

glycerine said:
ok, 1) accounting can count for the UAI right? because if it can't... drop it. like, i know you like it and all, but i'd say don't overstress yourself over courses that won't count towards even getting into uni

why does minuitti say dropping economics is risky? :confused: are you doing best in it or something? because i don't see how that works. no course is 'useless' for the majority of uni courses, because most uni courses don't have prerequisites (cept for the uai of course).

i'd honestly say (and this is strange coming from me), drop the 3rd unit of english. it's a lot of work for 1u, and if you dislike english, don't bother. you already have to do advanced anyhow.
yeah accounting counts for the uai -i think its the only board developed tvet course. plus i get credit transfer to sydney uni if i wanna do economics or commerce or law courses. So its pretty good :D
im not doing TOO bad in economics, i like it and all but its heaps of work and i'd rather concentrate on maths and my sciences. so if i drop 3u english i'll have 15 units but thats still too much. whats next to drop??

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
i'd say drop economics, regardless of what minuitti said (and remember, she's not deputy this term) because obviously that's the subject (other than english) you feel least attached to. so that gives you... 13units, which is still a lot, but it's much more doable than 16.

blondynka

yeah -im only hoping i can still drop economics this term. plus ive still gotta write some essay on labour outcomes or some crap and i soooo cant be bothered with it! One more thing im confused with is polish - my parents dont really want me doing it; they say i should concentrate on my other subjects (esp after the 3.5hour polish exam i had last month), but they still want me going 2 polish saturday school coz its more of a fun social thing. i'm gonna talk to my polish teacher after the holidays, but i dont think i'd be able to still go to polish school and not do all the exams etc? dropping it HSC year would leave me with only 11units - does that mean that if i screw up one subject, then only half of it will be counted? ive got no idea lol.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
yeah, basically every unit = 50 marks, so basically they take it from there

blondynka

ahh k mad :) well then hopefully i'll drop eco as soon as we get back to school so i wont have to deal with that anymore... in the meantime i still gotta decide bout polish. its kinda competitive but i get good results and every year the ashfield class, which is my class (there r 3 yr11 polish classes in sydney) gets the top results. :D i guess im gonna have to think about that till next year then...

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
yeah my friend did accoutning as well.. and she absolutely loved it... she did it at OTEn (this tafe in strathfield).

aniwayz, before u decide to drop ext 1 english, you relaly should find out wot module u are doing. I did revenge tragedy because the gals in my class all hated crime fiction and gender language.. and revenge tragedy was the only decent one left. I guess ext 1 english would be a LOT less appealing than crime fiction. Though i think i would luv ext 1 english evne more if my school did soemthing like Postmodernism. So my pt is, ext 1 english varies for many pplz, and it also depends on what module u are doing. so do ask abt it first.

my best advice is drop the subjects that u think u ownt be good at or dont have an interst, def the latter should be the deciding pt. I was good at maths, but i never liked it. Even though i got good results till year 11, but because i didn't like it, i was unmotivated and didnt do any homework or studied, hence 4u maths and maths altogether were my worest units. Business Studies and English were my strong units because i truly loved it.

best of luck with ur decision

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
nick1048 said:
dont drop ext eng... ext eng scales up whilst adv scales down...
datz so not true.

advanced english is one of those subjects that there aren't any rela scaling disadvantages or disadvantages (unlike standard english)

plus with extension english, you really have to find out what module ur school is doing, cuz that sorta determines whether u think u will like the topic matter or not.

please do not let scalign affect ur decision, i am speaking from past experience.

r0wlzi

Banned
Drop the Polish language, like they did in World War II

If you arent going to go there when your older don worry about it, if your from a Polish family Im guessing the parents and grandparents talk in Polish so learn from them.

I cant believe anyone in their right mind would do more than 12 units. Good luck with your dicision but :)

blondynka

r0wlzi said:
Drop the Polish language, like they did in World War II
hahaha! thats pretty funny lol :)
yeah im officially without 3u English tomorrow (woohoo!) and hopefully i'll be able to drop economics tomorrow too, im handing in a note from parents but thats all i need coz my careers advisor knows im dropping it. but i'd have to keep polish till year 12.. ugh. :S stupid 12u requirement. ah well 13 units is better than 16!!! i dunno if i should pick up 4u maths.. i really want to, but i dont know if im good enough. i told myself that in the next maths test i have, if i get over 95%... well okay fine, more like 90%, then im gonna do it. :D im probably getting a tutor for maths this week; my mum's friend's daughter who came 3rd in the state, so i BETTER IMPROVE! 80% isnt good enough anymore!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)