I "need" to drop something...advice? (1 Viewer)

Platinum

HSC
I was pretty pleased with my half yearlys, topped every subject except Maths...but my schools been saying to drop something...but I can't drop Maths as I want to do International Studies/Law in the future.

So, what subject do you guys reccomend I drop? My subjects are

Advanced English (obviously can't drop it)
Mathematics
Economics
Legal Studies
Modern History
Japanese Continuers
Japanese Extension

Apparently, people at school think that I "need" to drop something because they're afraid I will burn out and won't get the maximum UAI possible. And I have to have an answer by the end of the holidays.

HSC
Don't just drop something for the sake of dropping sometihng. If you're topping everything then you obviously can handle it. Just keep going with everything until you absolutely can't handle it with the huge workload and then drop something. You will know in time what one you can drop.

Also, keeping maths or dropping maths will have no bearing on how you go on international studies/law...

Member232135

HSC
N/A
magpam said:
I've heard of a school that doesn't allow students to have less than 12 units because of the risk of having a low UAI, I guess yours is the opposite?
Yeah my school doesn't let us have less than 12 units, to keep one as a backup just in case we bomb out one. I think its smart.

menelaus

HSC
i dont think 13 units is too many. so long as u enjoy your subjects, then i dont think u should have a problem. i had 13 units and i dont think it affected my uai. also, dont drop a subject cos u think it scales down. i chose subjects like economics , not only cos i liked them but because i thought they would boost my uai. turns out even tho i did well in eco, it still didnt get counted in my top 10 units.

what your school is saying confuses me. if u find there is no problem, u enjoy your subjects and can handle them, then continue. also, u may regret dropping one subject now, and ifnd u could have handled it. hold out as long as u can till you're absolutely sure, cos once u drop it u cant really pick it up again.

Platinum

HSC
Thanks guys for all your advice. I still don't know what to drop, and I don't think I really want to drop anything. I might stress myself out at times, but I guess at the end of the day it is my HSC not my schools and its my choice not theirs on subject selection. Although history has been pretty shit lately, but that happens with all subjects I guess.

What really bugs me is how they have been kinda rude about it. Like today they said.....You MUST have and we NEED an answer by tomorrow? I mean what are they going to do if i don't give them an answer?

HSC
Platinum said:
Thanks guys for all your advice. I still don't know what to drop, and I don't think I really want to drop anything. I might stress myself out at times, but I guess at the end of the day it is my HSC not my schools and its my choice not theirs on subject selection. Although history has been pretty shit lately, but that happens with all subjects I guess.

What really bugs me is how they have been kinda rude about it. Like today they said.....You MUST have and we NEED an answer by tomorrow? I mean what are they going to do if i don't give them an answer?
If you are enjoying all of your subjects, and performing well in them all, you should definitely keep them all.

They can't really force you to drop anything.

And remember, it's your HSC, not your teachers. :uhhuh:
Maybe they need a reminder about that?

morganforrest

HSC
Hey,
I'm thinking of doing the same courses as you :D Originally I had 12 units but dropped ext english because I found the workload to be too high as I couldn't really see myself going well enough to have it count to my UAI. All your subjects are quite strong scaling wise so I would suggest either dropping the subject you are weakest at if you like them all equally, or dropping the one you enjoy least. However if you feel you can keep up with 13 units then by all means keep them until you feel you absolutely have to drop.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)