I need Tutor (1 Viewer)

deesoun

HSC
Hi
im studying a Bachelor of Nursing at UWS (1st year) I come from an Acting background, and i just moved careers this year..
I just failed my First assessment
I'm not quite sure what happened, i really studied and memorised my essay, i did it early and i was really happy with it
i aim for the HD , yet i received a fail.
It is a basic assessment about paraphrasing
we were to be given an article before hand and to paraphrase it. Then in class we have 30 minutes to write 250 words, in an exam environment.

But now im looking for a tutor to maybe help me with my course and help with essay writing etc.
and knows how to write in university style..

..Needs assistants..

kat12345

HSC
N/A
Firstly, speak with whomever marked your paper and ask for more feedback. Ask where you went wrong and where to improve in the future.

Secondly, and I mean no offense here, but your grammar in the paragraph you've written here is pretty bad. You've made a lot of simple mistakes that could easily cost you marks. I would suggest maybe taking some English classes to improve. I get the impression that English is not your first language, so I understand it can be hard. But if you work hard I'm sure you can do better. An English tutor, one who has experience at university would be of most benefit to you.

deesoun

HSC
I can see where i went wrong =]

is there a particular way to find a tutor with university experience?
this is why i made a post, because i know my english is still weak
and i may need one soon, before i fail all my subjects.

Kat92

HSC
Hi
im studying a Bachelor of Nursing at UWS (1st year) I come from an Acting background, and i just moved careers this year..
I just failed my First assessment
I'm not quite sure what happened, i really studied and memorised my essay, i did it early and i was really happy with it
i aim for the HD , yet i received a fail.
It is a basic assessment about paraphrasing
we were to be given an article before hand and to paraphrase it. Then in class we have 30 minutes to write 250 words, in an exam environment.

But now im looking for a tutor to maybe help me with my course and help with essay writing etc.
and knows how to write in university style..

..Needs assistants..

Hi Deesoun,

The first year in any University course is the hardest; especially when trying to come to terms with the different writing styles. The best thing you can to is talk to your tutor/lecturer in the first instance as they are the ones actually delivering the course content. However, if you feel that it is your structuring and mechanics of writing, try and see if your campus has Learning Development Staff that can work one on one or in a relaxed group environment.

Websites such as these my help with the writing for your discipline: http://www.une.edu.au/tlc/aso/writing/ehps/health/index.html and http://www.monash.edu.au/lls/llonline/writing/medicine/index.xml. Furthermore, there often certain courses that unis offer during the break that can help you improve your literacy/ writing skills- often these are free so it is worth checking them out.

Also in regards to paraphrasing, this should help: http://www.newcastle.edu.au/Resourc...rmation-skills/infoskills/writing/page12.html

The co-op bookstore also has guides for uni students in regards to writing check it out: http://www.coop.com.au/bookshop/category/study-guides.html

Good Luck with it all and Best wishes! :)

Last edited:

uac.aplcnt

HSC
Could you repeat that Kat? Uhmm..."The first year in ANY university course is the HARDEST.." Hmmm....are you sure about that?... like in ANY degree? What if I did...B Business (Accounting) major...but i was super good at maths/ was a fanatic at accounting prior to attending uni and also during ALL of my high school years..would your statement be still correct?

I am curious to hear from you..

LOL...really? The FIRST years of uni?? This cant b right. I thought the last few years of university was the hardest - they go more complex as the years go by..

Last edited:

Kat92

HSC
Could you repeat that Kat? Uhmm..."The first year in ANY university course is the HARDEST.." Hmmm....are you sure about that?... like in ANY degree? What if I did...B Business (Accounting) major...but i was super good at maths/ was a fanatic at accounting prior to attending uni and also during ALL of my high school years..would your statement be still correct?

I am curious to hear from you..

LOL...really? The FIRST years of uni?? This cant b right. I thought the last few years of university was the hardest - they go more complex as the years go by..

Ultimately, it would depend upon the person and what other factors are at play. The case that you present would indeed be an exception to what I have said- as the person is obviously gifted and has a lot of prior experiences at play. ;)

But for most people, I am speaking from the perspective of finding out their strengths and weaknesses. As often for many coming to terms with a new environment, structure and multiple demands can cause angst- especially if one has not been shown differing methods to cope with these factors.

Yes, I do agree that more content will be given in the later years- but if strategies are in place it will hopefully alleviate the stress somewhat ( Although at the same token- I am not saying that it will be a totally easy road by any means). Essentially, the first few years are in place to determine who will stay and basically those that are not interested and allow them a chance to explore other alternatives- but if you have a dream/goal and are committed anything can be achieved in life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)