I never knew dropping a subject was so hard (1 Viewer)

SolSaithis

HSC
I have spent months on deciding to drop one of my subjects. So far the subjects i have are Standard English, 2u Maths, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Biology and worst of all Japanese. I am doing fairly well in all my other subjects and maybe with some extra studying i'll be in the high ranks for each subject. But Japanese is a different story. I'm last in my class and in most assessment tasks, i am getting in the 40%-60% range. My problem is that i'm scared to drop it and risk losing my fall back subject, but if i keep it i'm worried that i'll do badly in it for the HSC and waste all that time studying for a subject that will be useless. I've tried talking to teachers about it and it hasn't been that successful. So i'm just wondering what others have to say about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

HSC
SolSaithis said:
I have spent months on deciding to drop one of my subjects. So far the subjects i have are Standard English, 2u Maths, Business Studies, Legal Studies, Biology and worst of all Japanese. I am doing fairly well in all my other subjects and maybe with some extra studying i'll be in the high ranks for each subject. But Japanese is a different story. I'm last in my class and in most assessment tasks, i am getting in the 40%-60% range. My problem is that i'm scared to drop it and risk losing my fall back subject, but if i keep it i'm worried that i'll do badly in it for the HSC and waste all that time studying for a subject that will be useless. I've tried talking to teachers about it and it hasn't been that successful. So i'm just wondering what others have to say about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Sorry if it sounds harsh.

Ok I did Japanese for my HSC and came last in my class. Here's my advice from experience. Drop Japanese. You need a good attitude to improve on your japanese skills and from your post you're keeping it for the wrong reasons. You have to really be into the language to go well, and really want to revise your vocab, kanji and sentence patterns.

You're struggling right now and its not going to get easier. Well actually its more of the same, just more vocab, more kanji, and sentence patterns to learn. If youre struggling youre constantly going to have to catch up, once youve gone back and covered these you have more to learn. I'm just stressing this point because I dropped PE at the end of year 11 and by the time i was over japanese and struggling etc I couldnt drop it because I had 11 units, so I had to plod on.

You can work your way up and improve more and more, since there is plenty of time towards your HSC. Even I did slightly, but it was to the detriment of other subject results. Its entirely possible but you have to ask yourself whether its worth it.

Erm if its an indication my raw mark overall was 61% and ended up with a mark of 70 for my HSC (my school marks was moderated or soemthing because I improved in the exam).

SolSaithis

HSC
Thanks for the quick reply. Throughout year 11, i didn't study at all for Japanese which was a big mistake. As a last resort, i tried to start from scratch at Unit 1 but seeing how much work i had to catch up on, i felt less and less motivated to catch up and now im starting to dislike it. Just like you said, it's just more kanji, grammer and vocab. I could work my way up quickly, but that means i'll be ignoring my other subbjects which i don't want. I just don't know what to do, but something inside me is telling me to drop it.
Any more opinions would be great. Thanks

IceOnFire

HSC
I have been quite indecisive in dropping Physics, even after I have made an annoucement on my blog that I was DEFINITELY going to drop it.

In the end I didn't. :p

HSC
SolSaithis said:
Thanks for the quick reply. Throughout year 11, i didn't study at all for Japanese which was a big mistake. As a last resort, i tried to start from scratch at Unit 1 but seeing how much work i had to catch up on, i felt less and less motivated to catch up and now im starting to dislike it. Just like you said, it's just more kanji, grammer and vocab. I could work my way up quickly, but that means i'll be ignoring my other subbjects which i don't want. I just don't know what to do, but something inside me is telling me to drop it.
Any more opinions would be great. Thanks
Hey it's me again :p Dude you're pretty much talking yourself into dropping it. Just drop it already! You have not given one reason why you should keep it. The time you're going to have to sacrifice improving your Jap mark is not worth it, particularly if its your back up subject at best anyway.

DROP JAPANESE

HSC
SolSaithis said:

AW... poor you...

me... i was stuck in a siutation .. where it was either maths or economics... coming from and azn background, noting that my uncle is a maths tutor. -_-". anywho.... my parents TOLD me to drop maths... * that was like SHOCK HORROR * But yeah...

and the thing was i like literally came last in economics.. like i think my rank was 45/50? around there... while my maths was like in the middle, average.. BUT anywho.. i dropped maths. ...

why you may ask? the tip is... ive done maths for like half my life, and catching up.. would be -_-" .. while economics... it has only been 1.5 years so.. yeah.. i dropped maths before my trials, all those maths tutoring... = priceless.... BUT i really should of done it before hand... maybe i could of gotten a Band 5... sighs.... 2 marks away, soooo close !!! NOOOOOOOOOOOO! :mad1: but yeah....

i guess i was lucky that my parents wanted me to drop maths, i rekon if i kept it.. i woulndnt be able to get into my cousre...

BUT YEAH... DROPPPPPP ASAP. before you waste more time...

But can you cram japanese now? or like which one easier? like at least you can get your head around.... Oh and maybe id sugesst tutoring? hopefully would help.

hope it helps... goodluck SolSaithis !

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
lol.

there's no such thing as wasting time if u tried your best. let me just re-inforce this notion. =]

ssglain

HSC
I don't mean to sound harsh but there is no way that you can "fall back" on a subject that you're only getting 40%-60% for assessments and not break your back. It would be wise to drop it as early as possible and focus on your other subjects.

Trust me, it's much harder if you are ever put in the position to drop a subject for which you have been ranked 1st throughout the year.

HSC
ssglain said:
I don't mean to sound harsh but there is no way that you can "fall back" on a subject that you're only getting 40%-60% for assessments and not break your back. It would be wise to drop it as early as possible and focus on your other subjects.

Trust me, it's much harder if you are ever put in the position to drop a subject for which you have been ranked 1st throughout the year.
one of my friends was ranked 6 out of 50 for business and dropped... she said.. it scales down...

HSC
<sigh> why do people place so much importance on scaling? if you go well scaling doesnt mean shit.

you pick the subjects you are both good at and enjoy, you shouldn't pick/keep/drop them on scaling alone.

Last edited:

ssglain

HSC
watatank said:
you pick the subjects you are both good at and enjoy, you shouldn't pick/keep/drop them on scaling alone.
I agree.

Legal Studies is a very poorly scaled subject but I would have kept it because I never needed to work at it to do well. I had to drop it at the end of Yr 11 because my silly school decided to run Maths Ext-2 on the same line. My teacher and the Social Science faculty head refused to sign my subject withdrawl form and had a huge argument with the maths people over it. Eventually everything settled, of course. I did rant about it for half a term but now I'm quite glad I've dropped. MX2 is worth it, after all.

SolSaithis

HSC
@lilkiwicutie89: thanks ^^. So yeah i kinda decided to drop Japanese because i'm like 1 year behind? I mean i like the subject but have no motivation to study for it.

@ssglain: Hey who knows, i could get 80% in it if i had actually tried, but that's not gonna happen now since i'm dropping it.

And i heard business studies is scaled quite a bit? Well at least that's what my teacher says. Not that it's the reason why i'm keeping it though, business studies is awesome and so easy to get good marks in.

loz05

HSC
hey does anybody know what this yrs cut-off UAI was for primary teaching?

HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Nah, it's been pretty average scaling for the last few years, but if you get good marks in it, then you should be fine.
Same applies for all subjects.

HSC
loz05 said:
hey does anybody know what this yrs cut-off UAI was for primary teaching?
Where are you interested on going? At UOW its around 75....I wouldn't imagine it'd be any more than 85, and I'm sure there are places that let you in with a much lower UAI....

loz05

HSC
umm sydney or newcastle probably. yeah i thought it was around 75

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)