I & S - Doll's House context (Norway) (1 Viewer)

luridlysteph14

HSC
So I'm making a thread here for all contextual discussion about Norway in the 19th century pertaining to A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen.

All chatter is welcome, even if it's "OMG I LOVES NORWAY LOLZ! (followed by a relevant example ... from the 19th century, of course.)

Okay, so aside from the alliegance with Napoleon, independance from Sweden &c, what are your thoughts on 19th Norway?

Any historical information here is welcome, and it would be appreciated by all studying Ibsen this year.

Go ahead!

SiN3m

HSC
we're doing 'Doll's House' atm...

I hate the sexism jeez then again it was the same in all 19th century texts i guess...

I'd like to have known more about Krogstad though...

oh and btw GO THE VIKINGS (centuries earlier i know but you know what? I DNT CARE :p)

luridlysteph14

HSC
Okay, information I have so far (minus dates, for the most part. Sorry.) is as follows:

- Attacked by Britain in the early 1800's
- Entered into an allegiance with Napoleon (same war that the militia in Langton’s P&P are fighting in)
- Mass Starvation, similar to the Depression in Australia. Main staple food was fish.
- 1814 they elected the Danish Crown prince
- 1905 Declared Independence from Sweden & developed a constitution based on France & the USA
- War between Sweden & Norway
- Norwegian Romantic Nationalism Cultural movement was headed in the literature department by Henrik Ibsen (national Norwegian pride, yo)
- The Norwegian language was developed

luridlysteph14

HSC
I was thinking deeper than "cold" although that si fairly obvious. I was thinking along the lines of, "The top third of Norway, during winter, has almost no sunlight during the*day*. This could contribute to sadness, depression, desperation etc."

Sweden, for instance, has the highest suicide rate in the world, andof course it peaks around Christmas.

I haven't actually SEEN the play. I suppose it's only relevant for interprettation and easier understanding. However, anyone, if you know anything to contribute to make it a little easier for others, if it's no skin off your backs?

wendus

krawr.
HSC
i love that play, honestly i do. so let's add a bit of depth here shall we.
can't remember much about norway itself, but in that region in the 19th century there was that post-Darwinian biology theory going around - i.e. man belongs in order of nature and has no connection with gods, etc.

wendus

krawr.
HSC
lol, well it's in the back section of our book... not entirely sure how it all fits in though.

Sventina

HSC
Honestly, I don't think that much of Norway's history is relevant to the play. You won't have time in the essay to have a historical discussion anyway.

It is more useful to know a couple of facts about Ibsen, his views on women and the play's reception in Norway and other countries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)