I suck at math extension 1 (1 Viewer)

Interdice

HSC
Latest test. Perms and Combs. I got 49 percent. Teacher gave me a very disappointed look. 3rd lowest in the school. :( Average in school was 64 percent.

I did tutoring this term, however my grades didn't increase at all.

I did every textbook question i Pearson and Cambridge for perms and combs, however the questions in the test were ridiculously difficult.

I go to a public high school.

I wanna do engineering. Only reason I take this dumb subject. Should i just focus on other subjects and throw this one? Or solider through this?

I do fine in Advanced, Chem, and Phys.

Etho_x

HSC
N/A
I'd say just push through.

Bad marks on tests do happen, as after all we are not perfect and are prone to errors. I can understand that you may feel frustrated by this mark - Perms and Combs is no easy topic and I struggled with it myself.

However, it's only your first term of Year 12. There is still so much potential down the track for you to improve yourself and achieve more desirable marks. You might find some topics which you are being tested on easier than others (which could allow you to achieve higher marks), so that's another thing to consider.

Considering you do want to study Engineering at university, Math Extension 1 is assumed knowledge (possibly even a prereq at some universities?). Having the skills and knowledge from MX1 would give you a decent advantage over those which only did Advanced.

So yeah, I'd just keep hanging in there and do the best that you can. Don't "throw" MX1 away, perhaps use a few days of your holidays to understand where you went wrong on your test, or to improve your skills in Perms and Combs if you believe this is what will trouble you further down the track (as it is tested on trials/HSC).

Nedom

HSC
Latest test. Perms and Combs. I got 49 percent. Teacher gave me a very disappointed look. 3rd lowest in the school. :( Average in school was 64 percent.

I did every textbook question i Pearson and Cambridge for perms and combs, however the questions in the test were ridiculously difficult.

I go to a public high school.

I wanna do engineering. Only reason I take this dumb subject. Should i just focus on other subjects and throw this one? Or solider through this?

I do fine in Advanced, Chem, and Phys.
I don't think you should see maths as something you just do because it's a prereq or just something to allow you to do Engineering. Engineering is going to go into much more difficult maths (understatement), (MX2 is going to be covered at the start (in a somewhat quick matter) (just to show how it is in uni)), so disdain for doing maths is not going to be a beneficial mindset, and will just only result in dread when doing the course in the future.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
Don't give up. Combinatorics isn't an easy topic for most people. You should spend this summer break working on any weak areas in your maths.
If you want to do Engineering, you'd better be good in your Maths. Getting frustrated with your MX1 isn't going to help you.

Tutoring centres are usually very good. But you may need a good 1-on-1 tutor to help you.

Last edited:

carrotsss

HSC
You can’t really expect tutoring to fix everything, especially if you don’t use it properly.
This isn’t an effective way to study. If you want practice of hard questions and the approach for them, you’re much better off doing past papers/past hsc questions, instead of repetitive textbook questions.

Interdice

HSC
You can’t really expect tutoring to fix everything, especially if you don’t use it properly.

This isn’t an effective way to study. If you want practice of hard questions and the approach for them, you’re much better off doing past papers/past hsc questions, instead of repetitive textbook questions.
Yeah. ur right. i was too lazy to find test perms and combs question, and test binomial questions

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)