I Think My Teachers Dogged My Assessment Mark (1 Viewer)

dieselboi

I was looking back at my internal marks and weightings coz i was suspecting that my chem, phys and art teacher got it all wrong, then i calculated what my assessment mark should've been. The gave BOS marks that we're way lower than what they should've been.
Physics was meant to be in the 90's chemistry in the 80's and art in the high 90's. On my results sheet my internal results we're down a band for art and down two bands for chem and physics. THIS IS UNFAIR, is it not?

Someone help me and tell me what i can do, I felt as though i was ripped off! majorly! I would've gotten a band 6 had my art result been the REAL one.

HELP--->pissed off :( :( :mad: :mad: :mad1:

Rahul

Dead Member
the marks you calculated for your assements during the year is not your assessment mark. :)

they havent jipped you.

dieselboi

hey Rahul, but i calculated everything according to weightings and added them all together. I am very confused? if its not the assessments mark then what is it? can you please inform me.

Rahul

Dead Member
your school will submit the marks [that you calculated] to the board. what use are they? to find relative differences between the ranks.
now, when you do the hsc exam. all the marks obtained by your school are pooled. then, the relative differences using the marks that were sent into them, the board gives out assessment marks for each student.

so if you came 4th in maths. your assessment will be the 4th best mark from your school for the hsc exam. they actually use the relative differences between ranks, but making it simple helps to understand.

chances are that either your internal assements resulted in higher marks or your grade performed poorly[in terms of marks compared to the internal marks] in the hsc exam or both.

dieselboi

it seems more logical to just give the marks that we got, there was a relative distance between me and second place in art. Also i found that in all my subject the HSC mark was the midpoint of my examination mark and my assessment mark, perfectly... so therefore if my art teacher gave me the right mark that i achieved over the year i probablly (i think) would've gotten a band 6, i was only two marks off, also with chemistry it wouldve pulled me up.

Rahul

Dead Member
no, they cant do that. if they would have taken your schools marks, then it wouldnt be a level playing field.

with this system, everyone, as individuals and schools, are judged from the hsc exams.

what will stop schools making students sit really easy internals, with everyone getting 90+? and what about schools that have tough internal exams?

dieselboi

i was the only one in my class that was doing very well in art, she said that i was going to get a band 6, then there was everyone else who were'nt doing very well. there was a gap, so it would've worked out in the end.

ND

HSC
If you were 1st in art, then your assessment mark should be equal to your exam mark.

edit: unless someone beat you in the external, in which case your assessment mark would be equal to their exam mark.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
And this confusion is exactly the reason why schools aren't meant to tell you your total raw assessment mark.

Mambomeg

yay! custom!!!
HSC
yeah the assesment marks are changed to make them fair across all schools, for example, a 90 assesment mark at james ruse would not equal a 90 assesment mark at some small povo westie school (like mine), so the smaller school one gets lowered to like 80. They have to do that other wise schools would just make assesments easy so their students would do well.

Winston

HSC
it's a fair system because obviously the ones who are able to make ti into first place has the ability to override everyone in the final exam anyways, well general perception anyways, it's quite fair, or else rankings would be obsolete, all in all i find it quite good it keeps you motivated throughout the year trying to compete with others for ranks.

holl

They change it becuase you could have either been given really easy assesment tasks so you got good marks in them or your teacher has been marking you really easily. Or the other way round of course. They moderate your assesment marks so it is fair between all studens from all schools.

walla

Satisfied Customer
HSC
Originally posted by Mambomeg
a 90 assesment mark at james ruse would not equal a 90 assesment mark at some small povo westie school (like mine), so the smaller school one gets lowered to like 80.
and the ruse one gets upped to about 99.99999

oh and deiselboi your hsc mark is exactly between exam and assessment because that's precisely how they work it out...its just the average of the two

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
in school assessments you are competing with the rest of your class for RANKS (and to be as far ahead as possible). in doing so you have to get the best marks you can and do the best you can.

when you do your hsc mark you (and the rest of your class) are competing for the absolute highest mark you can get in the state, as your classes marks will determine what your school assessment marks are aligned to.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
In english, I was ranked 9th and my best friend was ranked 4th. However, we both ended up with a HSC mark of 80. I thought that with a gap that big, her HSC mark would have still been worked out to be higher than mine even if I did better in the actual exam?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It would be possible for you to use your exam mark to compensate for a lower assessment mark. Your friend may also have done (comparatively) poorly in the actual exam.

They both contribute 50% to your HSC mark, remember.

I go to a small school and most of my classes consisted of 3-5 ppls. My assesment marks would have been higher than ussual because there arent as many ppl to compare them with thats why the BOS has to scale them for the whole state or i would have got marks that were higher than my accual ability. And most of my assesment marks dropped about 10- 20 marks. Anyway if you didnt like the marks you should hve cheak you Assesmnet Rank Order and complained befopre the HSC results went out. Its too late now because they would hev to change everyone in the states marks.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)