i want to do a language, particularly french - do it in uni or not? (1 Viewer)

Chris.

HSC
Im currently in my 2nd year of uni. If i transfer to eco/arts i can do french. I would probably have to spend 3 or 4 more years at uni.

I want to hear from those if learning a language in uni is good or not, and if so, which particular uni would be best for french or an european language. I currently go to UNSW

karoooh

HSC
French at UNSW is great! All the tutors and lecturers I've had are good.

Lectures are clear and to the point... Doesn't usually last for a full hour. We have grammar exercises in one text book that we have to do before the lecture each week.

There're two tutes per week, for 2 hours each. One tute is mainly used for learning the dialogues from the other textbook (listening, reading and speaking) and doing the exercises. The other is for learning grammar and perfecting what you learnt in the first lesson. Quite a bit of verbs and conjugations to memorise.

We have take home assignments every couple weeks or so... Usually asking you to make up a dialogue utilising what you've learnt recently, sometimes it's listening exercises...

Chris.

HSC
hmm ill put it on hold first. i want to finish my eco degree first..and then i might do an arts degree on its own studying a language. Would just doing french in an arts degree by itself be 2 or 3 years?
And also, if i did an arts degree, would i also have to do subjects that arent french language? Because that might determine whether i would want to do it at uni or not

EDIT: ok...just looking at the handbook i can see the best choice would be to transfer to a double degree to eco/arts because i dont wana do art core subjects, just french

where could i learn french at a quality level besides uni? because right now im still deciding whether i should do it or not and i would rather decide after i finish my eco degree

Last edited:

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
i don't know about other unis but i know USYD offers language courses independent of degrees, i.e the general public can enrol in them, you don't have to be a student (at least i think you don't). they offer levels from beginners right up to super-duper-enlightened-master, and i think each course runs for like 10 weeks and costs a couple of hundred bucks to do. there should be some proper information about it on the uni website somewhere. i get pamphlets in the mail every so often about it. never done one though.

HSC
I do French (beginner's french) at USYD. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. I'd say it's one of my favourite subjects. It's also a nice to have it, to contrast with 'heavier' subjects, for example stats. It's easy to pick up (well for me anyway). I highly recommend you to learn this beautiful, sexy language! :eek:

Chris.

HSC
^CoSMic DoRiS^^ said:
i don't know about other unis but i know USYD offers language courses independent of degrees, i.e the general public can enrol in them, you don't have to be a student (at least i think you don't). they offer levels from beginners right up to super-duper-enlightened-master, and i think each course runs for like 10 weeks and costs a couple of hundred bucks to do. there should be some proper information about it on the uni website somewhere. i get pamphlets in the mail every so often about it. never done one though.
this is just what i might do after i finish. thx!

Chris.

HSC
thx karooh

ill just have to do my research and see which uni offers better.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)