I was wondering..... (1 Viewer)

melomilo

HSC
N/A
Hey Guys

Let me introduce myself my name is Ray, I'm 15 and when i grow up i want to be a doctor. I'm currently in year 10.

I was wondering if you guys can tell me how hard do you have to work in year 12 and do I have to start working from now, is the interview and UMAT hard and how hard is it exactly to get into UNI?

Cheers.

PrincessSJ

Work. Inn. Buy Shoes
HSC
you have to work your ass off.... say bai bai to your social life right about now

:D

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
melomilo said:
Hey Guys

Let me introduce myself my name is Ray, I'm 15 and when i grow up i want to be a doctor. I'm currently in year 10.

I was wondering if you guys can tell me how hard do you have to work in year 12 and do I have to start working from now, is the interview and UMAT hard and how hard is it exactly to get into UNI?

Cheers.
blackmail

its the only way

EATAPIE

BMW>>>>Mercedes (see sig)
HSC
mr_brightside said:
its like melimoo...cept not </3
thats what i thought too.
anyway, you'll never get into medicine.
you might as well give up now.
the only way you'll get in is to do every UMAT paper u can get your hands on, then write your own UMAT papers, and do them.
and study every subject 4 and a half hours a day minimum for your HSC. If you have no time to sleep, don't sleep.

but remember, it'll be worth it. after about 28 years of studying, you'll finally graduate as a doctor. With no friends and no life. CONGRATZ!!!!1!!11eleven!!1!

melomilo

HSC
N/A
Ok, please do your best to suggest good study habits and dont intimidate me please. I mean i just want to be a doctor thats all. Oh i dont think we have HSC cos i live in Adelaide

lala2

Banned
HSC
Well, since you're in Year 10, picking the right subjects is the first step for you, before you even think of progressing any further! Chemistry is 'recommended' but it's basically a prerequisite unless you wanna die doing the bridging course, or the course, or both. English is 'assumed knowledge' so taking the highest level of English that you can manage successfully is the way to go. Note that I've italicised this bit--a guy in 2003 from Killara High got a UAI of 100 but 'only' did ESL, and got into UNSW Medicine.

For your questions, note that Yaer 12 is all that matters. No Year 10 or 11 stuff is likely to be included (note the word 'likely' since they can ask you Year 11 stuff that is the basis for further study in Year 12), though to develop a good work ethic in time for Year 12 it's highly recommended you do pay attention in Years 10 and 11.

Interview and UMAT I dunno--you may wanna peek around the Medicine forum.

And finally, it's not hard to get into 'uni'. Most courses have cutoffs of 70+, and 70 is not hard to achieve, esp. if you think you can become a doctor. But to get into medicine is another thing, and you should definitely ask around from med students and in the Medicine forum.

Hope that has helped.

HSC
N/A
a guy in 2003 from Killara High got a UAI of 100 but 'only' did ESL, and got into UNSW Medicine.
Loz, I went to Killara High too (GO PUBLIC SCHOOLS)! I remember that guy. He was cool. Yeah, I'd say that you should think long and hard about medicine, it's full on to get into and do. Good luck.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
melomilo said:
Ok, please do your best to suggest good study habits and dont intimidate me please. I mean i just want to be a doctor thats all. Oh i dont think we have HSC cos i live in Adelaide
SACE or IB?

ummm kill the UMAT
ure TER/IB needs to be high..

and u should interview well

but by the time ur applying the criteria might hav changed by the time u apply... cos of the new dean... and ill be in the final yr if med.. me thinks lolz :D

just enjoy high school
and get some experience to see why u realli want med..
call the Royal Adel Hosp , Queen Elizabeth Hosp or Lyell Mac Hosp HR Manager to apply

to get lik a day shadowing a doctor/nurse or other allied health to see if u like it.. and confirm ure suspicions :)

Tuna

HSC
N/A
What are you implying Pointdexter?

Medicine is competitive melomilo. I've seen some people who are really good. They did very well during their year 12. They got 99.9, top science subjects in school, ended up doing a course which is way below what they got. They never wanted to do Medicine, ever.

Most people who want to do medicine because of prestige and esp. ego. This is a natural thing. However, are you one of them?

turtleface

HSC
ah this brings back memories...
did fairly well in chem and stuff, got about 260 something (no i didnt get your psycho 299 scores but then again i didnt spend 10000 bucks on umat prep)

i remember going through the monash med interviews and stuff...which ironically was a day after my first ever visit to the hospital as a patient lol via ambulance too

in the end, a few days before vtac submissions a friend told me how on his ward round he found a dead guy in the toilet. that put me off completely and i never realised how much of a pus-i mean chicken i was before that. i think its good to be emotionless and indifferent to be able to do med well.

in the end I put straight commerce as my first pref and med as my 4th. needless to say I didn't get it

good luck to all the aspiring docs and surgeons, we need the most innovative and hard working minds we can get. who else will be willing to put up with the 24 hr days...just becareful of all the politics and stuff I've heard about.

On a side note, I've always found it amusing that when you have your MBBS you're called Dr. Smith or so, but when you become a surgeon, you become Mr/Ms. Smith. lol what a bummer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)