I worked out my internal assessment averages (1 Viewer)

Loz_metalhead

HSC
Basically if the assessment was 15% and I got 40/50 I would times is by 15...is that right?

Well for business I worked out mine and the other girl. Basically if she gets 90% in the trial and I get 92% she still comes first because of the very first assessment.

Me
40/50 and it was worth 15%= 12
84/90 worth 25%= 23.3333
29/30 worth 30%= 29
92/100 worth 30%= 27.6
=91.933

Other Girl
=92.75

So will she rank first? Or will we both get rounded to 92 and come equal first? I screwed up the first assessment but beat her in the half yearly and the trial(I think...just waiting for one more section)

EDIT: She actually got 27.3 for the trial and I got 27.6, so I guess that means she will rank first:(. *cursing that first assessment*

Last edited:

webby234

HSC
N/A
Probably equal first.

And I'm not sure how your school does it, but at our school they use a system which doesn't just add up the weighted marks, but takes into account the standard deviation. For lower standard deviation, a smaller gap in the marks is worth more. So by adding those marks up you may not get the final result.

karnoganguli

HSC
Strange and very hard to say. I'll go on the method that each assessment has equal weighting (i've never done this method). That is, i'll find the percentage on your raw marks.
This is how i calculated it:
out of 270, you got 245. A percentage of 90.7%

your friend got: 46.5 + 81 + 29 + 90= 246.5, a percentage of 91.3%

Round it off, both are 91%.

Nope, still doesn't seperate you two. I thought maybe by doing this both of you will get a different percentage when rounded off. Your friend narrowly beat you meaning she'll get top spot. Don't know what percentage they'll give you though. Oh well.

Last edited:

lil_miss

HSC
Loz_metalhead said:
Basically if the assessment was 15% and I got 40/50 I would times is by 15...is that right?

Well for business I worked out mine and the other girl. Basically if she gets 90% in the trial and I get 92% she still comes first because of the very first assessment.

Me
40/50 and it was worth 15%= 12
84/90 worth 25%= 23.3333
29/30 worth 30%= 29
92/100 worth 30%= 27.6
=91.933

Other Girl
=92.75

So will she rank first? Or will we both get rounded to 92 and come equal first? I screwed up the first assessment but beat her in the half yearly and the trial(I think...just waiting for one more section)

EDIT: She actually got 27.3 for the trial and I got 27.6, so I guess that means she will rank first:(. *cursing that first assessment*

is that the method you're supposed to use?

volition

arr.
HSC
unless your school is shifty. My school had me ranked below a guy that I had beaten (calculated it myself). He topped the subject too and got the award for it... There were at least 2 other guys who would've been above me and they deserved it even more

HSC
They would most likely round off to 0 decimal places and because you got about 91.9 and the other girl got 92.7 it would round off to you getting 92% and the other girl getting 93%, which means she will rank 1st and you will rank 2nd.

i had a similar situation in SDD i was on 85.4% and my rival was on 85.8%, they rounded me off to 85% and rounded him off to 86% and made him rank 1st instead of me =1st:( .

its more fair i guess if she does come first seeing as though she beat you

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
karnoganguli said:
Strange and very hard to say. I'll go on the method that each assessment has equal weighting (i've never done this method). That is, i'll find the percentage on your raw marks.
This is how i calculated it:
out of 270, you got 245. A percentage of 90.7%

your friend got: 46.5 + 81 + 29 + 90= 246.5, a percentage of 91.3%

Round it off, both are 91%.

Nope, still doesn't seperate you two. I thought maybe by doing this both of you will get a different percentage when rounded off. Your friend narrowly beat you meaning she'll get top spot. Don't know what percentage they'll give you though. Oh well.
If my school does it that way, there will be four people ranked 3rd(including myself) in my modern class lolz.

helper

HSC
N/A
Everyone should have a list of percentages each task is worth.

The variation between schools, will come in if the standardise each test. Some schools still shift all marks to a common average and sd before adding and weighting the marks.

helper

HSC
N/A
It depends on how the task is set. If it is testing a full range of abilities, then there shouldn't be a need. If it focus in on a small range, then it makes sense toscale the mean and SD.

If an exam is written so that its weighting and the range of marks are going to swamp the variations in the other tasks and they become insignificant, then it makes sense to scale.

So I could argue it both ways. Multipoint regression makes more sense in some ways, similar to the judging process in the HSC.

The BOS states there is no need to scale after coming up with the cummative total but doesn't talk about individual subjects.

therz_danger

HSC
helper said:
It depends on how the task is set. If it is testing a full range of abilities, then there shouldn't be a need. If it focus in on a small range, then it makes sense toscale the mean and SD.

If an exam is written so that its weighting and the range of marks are going to swamp the variations in the other tasks and they become insignificant, then it makes sense to scale.

So I could argue it both ways. Multipoint regression makes more sense in some ways, similar to the judging process in the HSC.

The BOS states there is no need to scale after coming up with the cummative total but doesn't talk about individual subjects.
Hey i came 3rd overall in chemistry with a assessment mark of 87.245, while this 19 y/o import got 87.546 and rannked 2nd!!!!. the trial was worth only 30%, other tasks were half yearly (10%), practical (30%) skills (30%).

In the trial i got (2nd)76% and she got (=4)71% highest was 83%. Man i feel that each mark in the test was so cheap!!! only 0.3 per mark!!! and also it tested a full range of abilities, modelling the actual HSC!!!

In the practical and skills tests were out of 30 marks each. that's is so stupid how ONE MARK in this crap test she devised is EQUAL TO 1% OVERALL and in contrast the more significant HSC trial, ONE MARK = ONLY 0.3% in the overall assessment mark!!!

Overall, i feel gutted and depressed and wished i came 2nd. Do you think my teacher can scale the HSC trial marks UP? Or is there anything i can do, because i believe that the trials should be weighted the most OR at least not equal to 2 other tasks!!!! PLZ GIVE ME ADVICE....:(

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
calm down man...you should know how i feel....came first for physics in trials, ended up fifth overall,,,,screwed around the whole year

helper

HSC
N/A
therz_danger said:
Hey i came 3rd overall in chemistry with a assessment mark of 87.245, while this 19 y/o import got 87.546 and rannked 2nd!!!!. the trial was worth only 30%, other tasks were half yearly (10%), practical (30%) skills (30%).
The guidelines for percentages are outlined in the syllabus.

Knowledge and understanding of:
• the history, nature, and practice of chemistry, applications and uses of chemistry and their implications for society and the environment, and current issues, research and developments in chemistry
• atomic structure and periodic table, energy, chemical reactions, carbon chemistry
and stoichiometry
40%

Skills in planning and conducting first-hand investigations and in communicating information and understanding based on these investigations
30%

Skills in scientific thinking, problem-solving, and in communicating understanding
and conclusions
30 %

Note:
No more than 50% weighting may be allocated to examinations and topic tests.

If you can find a ground this hasn't been met, then you might be able to have an appeal but that should have been done when you were given the assessment schedule.

As for scaling that is not mandated but decided on the school level.

sinist4

HSC
their should onli be one assessment in the whole hsc LOL, the 'trials'
oh well thats onli my opinion :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)