Ideas on Poem, "The Door" (1 Viewer)

zemaj

...and it's damn easy to remember! I'm using it.

I think it's also good because you don't need to pull it apart too much to get to the details. e.g. texts 2a&b require far too much time to address. You can quickly get to the issues with "The Door". What they say about using the more "weighted" texts is bull IMHO.

-zemaj

herbsby

i absolutely DESPISE the door! its sooo boring, & so general, & so shit... then again, the majority of that stupid book was, the best one was written by a 17 yr old, and the other a commedian, what does that tell you! anyways - just thought id share my opinion!
:)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
In my personal opinion, I wouldn't really define it as a poem... I'd call it one of those free-compositions... the equivalent of through-composed in music.

His general statement about change is a bit general, I agree, but as long sas it serves the function of BOS material...;)

Dario

HSC
Lots of techniques, very short, and easy to remember stanzas. It's the related text I'll be using no matter what the question asks.

nicole2511

it works for any focus, basic, but good i spose

-door represents change, opening the door is the experience of change. you do not know what is on the other side of the door until you open it, ie the result or consequences of undergoing change are unknown until you actually experience it...once the door is opened, it will always have an impact on you and "you can never go back" so to speak

- holub wants you to embrace change- the importance of this is expressed through her/his use of repetition "open the door"- emphasizes the importance placed on this experience

- change brings about different things- magic city, or hollow wind- the point is that there will always be something, as shown in last stanza, if nothing elso, change will bring about a refreshing wind- a new perspective on things

- concrete imagery used to portray nature of change- that the transition can be sometimes unsmooth, jerky, unpredictable- this is seen in the step like structure of the poem

thats all i really remember- hope something there is useful

gd lck! ;)

spice girl

magic mirror
My last impression for this text was that it was about "open"ing yourself to opportunities (to change).

So it's a positive attitude, the images in the 1st stanza symbolise growth: "tree", "wood", the 2nd stanza symbolises different, vivid perspectives: "picture/ of a picture"

I think the idea of positive/negative outcomes is shifted to a matter of something or nothing, as "nothing" (emphasised by enjambment) is seen as the ultimate negative: "even if".

"draught" is a symbol of disruption - the only certainty to change.
(i made this up just then!)

And of course youve got to mention the "Go and open the door" symbol, "Go" encourages a pro-active attitude.

just using it coz it basically can fit into any questions and it's definitely not a waste of memories to remember it!

Lullaby

i love this poem basically because its the only thing i seem to understand...
The door act as a barrier to the changes of the outside world to open it is to remove this barrier and accept change.. but if you dont then the barrier remains and so will you and im not sure if anyone has noticed but the word Maybe is in italics for what ever reasons you can basically make up what you think that represents and also the structure of the poem itself has to be looked at i keep forgetting thats part...:)

CoYLiE

not to mention also, the whole fact about holub being declared a 'non-person' which meant that he couldn't publish any work until 1982 i think it was.
So in that respect... the door is much more than an opportunity, it is not only a political comment on the iron curtain, but it also represents the his determination to pass onto the audience the notion of doing something cos "at least there'll be a draught"
:confused:

zemaj

Originally posted by CoYLiE
not to mention also, the whole fact about holub being declared a 'non-person' which meant that he couldn't publish any work until 1982 i think it was.
Whaaaaaa???????

-zemaj

funkydish

Originally posted by CoYLiE
So in that respect... the door is much more than an opportunity, it is not only a political comment on the iron curtain, but it also represents the his determination to pass onto the audience the notion of doing something cos "at least there'll be a draught"
:confused:
interesting. so that is one point that we could use when explaining the inflences on the author?

CoYLiE

no... i was just looking at a book whic just gave one paragraph about that and stuff...
i think it would nearly be impossible to put it in, in the amount of time we are given for the essay...
i just thought it would give a different perspective upon the poem because i guess some of the study guides are making total generalised statements about it, when in fact they don't know his influences behind writing the actual poem (sort of like the guy who wrote the excel guide for Skrzynecki's poetry who said Skrzynecki was wrong when he said he based chronic ward on "one flew over the cuckoos nest" rather the excel author said it was related to his mother's time in a chronic ward, it was in the SMH i think)

gazzalite751

HSC
Jellymonsta said:
We arent expected to write about Holub himself, are we? we never did that....
I don't think so, but we discussed in-class how poems reflect the composer and their situations. So, I think it would be good to add in how external factors might have affected the idea/developed the idea of the poem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)