Ideas that have been done to death... (1 Viewer)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
hmm you have one problem....transcending sexuality as you plan to like that means that him being gay, bisexual, metrosexual, etc has no effect...the fact he is gay only takes up room for other pieces to be developed....

if it ultimately doesnt matter that he is gay why have it ? thats what im trying to get through..

maybe have him asexual...that would be a good start off

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Nahh nahh, not like that.
Similar to your text, its highly based on the mentality of the protagonist his thoughts and such. Him being gay adds to the 'topics' i suppose to be explored with my character.
Though these topics arent like "will society accept me for being gay yada yada cliched stuff" its more of the thouhgts that come afterwards like "Am i scared of them? or them of me? Does it matter who is scared? or that the is fear around?"
Stuff like that, so you can sorta see what i mean by my protagonists sexuality being 'irrelevant'. It simply helps to start the thoughts off, nothing more.

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Sounds like an interesting idea you could develop, however I think you will get a better mark if you take a really unique spin on it or write it in a very unique way.

aud

HSC
Originally posted by Llyrai
Nahh nahh, not like that.
Similar to your text, its highly based on the mentality of the protagonist his thoughts and such. Him being gay adds to the 'topics' i suppose to be explored with my character.
Though these topics arent like "will society accept me for being gay yada yada cliched stuff" its more of the thouhgts that come afterwards like "Am i scared of them? or them of me? Does it matter who is scared? or that the is fear around?"
Stuff like that, so you can sorta see what i mean by my protagonists sexuality being 'irrelevant'. It simply helps to start the thoughts off, nothing more.
Hey, just watch the whole ethics thing, I don't know if it'd apply to you but at this thing at Ourimba I went to the markers didn't seem to like the idea of a piece that suggested stereotypes and generalisations... I only say that cause I'm gay, and I definitely didn't think like that... but if you need a gay perspective, just message me

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
haha ourimba helped me this much : |-|

:)

You cannot, and i repeat, CANNOT write a story without generalising or stereotyping, unless you wrote a one word story and even that can be argued to be generalising...( one of the things you pick up from Post Modernism )

So don't bother with that, the markers are not stupid, you have to appeal to an audience, a target audience in itself has to be a generalisation, or else you would have to rewrite your story for each individual reading/viewing your work...

But its always good to have an actual source

Llyrai

My Beast?? 48/50 !!!
HSC
Originally posted by aud
Hey, just watch the whole ethics thing, I don't know if it'd apply to you but at this thing at Ourimba I went to the markers didn't seem to like the idea of a piece that suggested stereotypes and generalisations... I only say that cause I'm gay, and I definitely didn't think like that... but if you need a gay perspective, just message me
Steryotypes and generalisations? Thats an easy pole to miss! Of corse i say that taking into account AsyLums description of 'steryotyping and generalizing'. We're all english students here, and doing ext2, so its understandable that'd we try to steer clear of those cliches as much as possible, unless of corse we dont want to!

Another's perspective would be of great help! But i tend to draw from what i know *winks!

kim_iz_yippin

HSC
Hey! I think we should just go with what we've already got. I'm doing a short story too, and it's on one of the most stereotyped genres of all - crime fiction. But it is nothing like all of those crappy tv shows like Law and Order (or the other three Law and Orders!) There's no such thing as originality, but I think it is important what you do with the genre, because that makes the world of difference! i know my story isn't about 11 people secluded in a manor house or anything.

Leanne

HSC
hey- my cuz told me that my story idea...to do with heroin and fairy tales and their similarities as forms of escapism..wouldnt do very well cos SOOO many ppl do stuff bout drugs! but hey- if u approach it differently like i did......i got 48/50

Red Lady

I'm doing three short stories based on the mind of a serial killer. I'm trying to do the ominsicient narrator thing to get indside his head. Do you reckon this is any good?

mayhemily

HSC
its all in how you write it. I suppose if you were brilliant enough you could write about a brick and go well.

hmmm actually...!!

snot

O.M.G this has completely screwed me up im doing the whole teen thing.
im going to make a movie on teen tragedy. this isnt to cliche is it????????????????:confused:

snot

is it really that cliche, and even though it may be cliche can you still get good marks if you use heaps of originality?

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by spin spin sugar
you'd think so, but there was a girl from my school whose work was like PURE teen angst and she got 48/50... definitely surprised me, i think the english teachers are on crack?
you're on crack

ssssonicyouth

phonic booth
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Red Lady
I'm doing three short stories based on the mind of a serial killer. I'm trying to do the ominsicient narrator thing to get indside his head. Do you reckon this is any good?
why don't you switch perspective in each story... i'm sure you could do a very good first person with the mind of a serial killer

KarmaKitten

HSC
Originally posted by AsyLum
hmm you have one problem....transcending sexuality as you plan to like that means that him being gay, bisexual, metrosexual, etc has no effect...the fact he is gay only takes up room for other pieces to be developed....

if it ultimately doesnt matter that he is gay why have it ? thats what im trying to get through..

maybe have him asexual...that would be a good start off
I agree. you will always end up generalising slightly. its just how it is to get your point across

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)