Identifying Fe^2+ (1 Viewer)

HSC
does anyone know the test? i cant find it anywhere

and about pb ion flame test, all i have to know is "shouldn’t be done by students, dangerous/poisonous" ?
thanks!:) <O:p

Last edited:

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
2,2'-bipyridine

turns pink/orange'ish when there is Fe2+. though honestly, I don't think in HSC you need to know that.

I have also been told that KMnO4 can be used to detect Fe2+, since it decolourises at the prescence of Fe2+

Re: Pb flame test: it is correct. Flame test releases particulates of the metal into the air. If inhaled, it can be quite dangerous.

HSC
xiao1985 said:
2,2'-bipyridine

turns pink/orange'ish when there is Fe2+. though honestly, I don't think in HSC you need to know that.

I have also been told that KMnO4 can be used to detect Fe2+, since it decolourises at the prescence of Fe2+

Re: Pb flame test: it is correct. Flame test releases particulates of the metal into the air. If inhaled, it can be quite dangerous.
thanks!
in the syllabus it says "identify fe ions" so i was like "what one, fe 2+ or fe 3+" o well, ill learn both, not hard

jamesy_1988

HSC
The best method that I am aware of for the quantitative dectection of Fe2+ is the reaction with acidified potassium permangante.

Kmahal1990

HSC
Use Sodium hydroxide solution. If a precipitate forms and its white...its Fe2+. Use permangenate to confirm. The purple colour of permangenate should decolourise rapidly if Fe2+ is present. Or you can use Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
To identify Fe2+ ions you need a ferricyanide such as Potassium Ferricyanide K3(Fe(CN)6).

Fe2+ + Fe(CN)63- --> Fe(Fe(CN)6)-

The positive test for the presence Fe2+ with the use of ferricyanide is a prussian blue colour.

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
alot of hydroxides are white in colour... adding OH- is rather inconclusive... permangenate is a much more affirming test.

hmmm interersting point about purssian blue.... and theoretically it should work...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)