Identity Definition - Advanced English (1 Viewer)

bored of sc

HSC
Would someone be able to give me some more ideas to add to this definition of the area of study concept for Advanced English - Identity?

Identity

Identity is the individual, the whole self; the set of characteristics that define a human being. Each individual is unique, thus each individual has a different identity. This is shaped by personal, impersonal, communal, health-related, behavioural, physical, psychological, temperamental, cultural, spiritual, economic, political, emotional, sexual, philosophical and ideological factors. An individual has a distinctiveness that tends to reflect their values, ethics, morals, paradigms, beliefs and archetypes. One’s prejudices, assumptions, social constructs, stereotypes and experiences also play a powerful role in the influence and development of their identity.

Identity is not limited as a prescriptive, stagnant, unchanging means of classification and differentiation. It is dynamic, ever-changing and evolving in its nature. It can be shaped by both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations. Intrinsic motivations include physiological, safety, love/belonging, esteem and self-actualisation wants and needs. Extrinsic motivations include the influence of the environment, parents, friends, peers, paradigms and popular culture (e.g. the media, literature, music, visual arts, technology etc).

The individual’s awareness of themself and their placement in the world is a personal, conscious identity. How others perceive this individual is an external, impersonal identity. It is not limited or finite, nor can it be fully understood. Identity is complex but basically, it is who, what, when and where a person is as an existing entity or life-form.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
That is pretty much, the most detailed definition of identity I have seen.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
bored of sc said:
Would someone be able to give me some more ideas to add to this definition of the area of study concept for Advanced English - Identity?

Identity

Identity is the individual, the whole self; the set of characteristics that define a human being. Each individual is unique, thus each individual has a different identity. This is shaped by personal, impersonal, communal, health-related, behavioural, physical, psychological, temperamental, cultural, spiritual, economic, political, emotional, sexual, philosophical and ideological factors. An individual has a distinctiveness that tends to reflect their values, ethics, morals, paradigms, beliefs and archetypes. One’s prejudices, assumptions, social constructs, stereotypes and experiences also play a powerful role in the influence and development of their identity.

Identity is not limited as a prescriptive, stagnant, unchanging means of classification and differentiation. It is dynamic, ever-changing and evolving in its nature. It can be shaped by both intrinsic and extrinsic motivations. Intrinsic motivations include physiological, safety, love/belonging, esteem and self-actualisation wants and needs. Extrinsic motivations include the influence of the environment, parents, friends, peers, paradigms and popular culture (e.g. the media, literature, music, visual arts, technology etc).

The individual’s awareness of themself and their placement in the world is a personal, conscious identity. How others perceive this individual is an external, impersonal identity. It is not limited or finite, nor can it be fully understood. Identity is complex but basically, it is who, what, when and where a person is as an existing entity or life-form.
that all = identity to me. : l cannot think of a single thing to add.

But identity in what manner; identity of an individual or of the unknown etc. can you contextualise it a bit so that we have full understanding.

but still otherwise wow thats pretty good definition.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
jellybelly59 said:
bored of sc's english skills = pwnage LOL
Still can't believe he just does Advanced.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:

Identity

Nice work, this is outstanding :D

Did you add that a person's sense of identity, shaped by their individuality is a direct by product of the arbitrary conglomerated society and that? The famous quote, "Cogito ergo sum," is also most appropriate whilst we're on this topic of discussion. Descartes himself argued that our thoughts prove our existence. "I think, therefore I am," incorporates the philosophical ideology that because an individual has the ability to think, then that is proof enough to say that the individual exists. Since thoughts of any kind are always presented in a subjective sense, we may conclude that a person's identity is also shaped through their thoughts.

bored of sc

HSC
Cheers for the help guys. For the contextual point of Marcquelle, I bring up two points: that a person has a view of themselves (personal identity) but there is also the matter of how others view us (impersonal identity) --> if that makes sense to you.

Aplus' point about thoughts shaping our identity is very valid. Thanks for that.

I also forgot to include the basics like gender, age, socio-economic status, nationality etc.

P.S I hope that has given you guys some pointers for your area of study. :)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Judging from your definition, you like having long sets of lists :p

bawd

HSC
bored of sc said:

Identity

Amazingly, petrifyingly, scarily impressive. Can you tutor me?

bored of sc

HSC
bawd said:
Amazingly, petrifyingly, scarily impressive. Can you tutor me?
Well. To uncover the truth, we did a brainstorming session in class and the teacher wrote literally 100 words on the board. As a homework task we had to synthesise all these ideas and come up with a definition (or extended description) of identity. So it's really not that good (considering I stole everyone else's ideas and put them into one). I am actually kind of critical of it which is why I posted it up.

But thanks for the compliment. :)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Impressive...I really liked the last sentence. Wish I could edit, but it's too good to be edited IMHO.

lolokay

HSC
Aplus said:
Judging from your definition, you like having long sets of lists :p
is this a good thing for a definition? unless it's implied that you're supposed to include the things that shape a person's identity, I personally wouldn't include them quite as much (I'm pretty bad at english though)

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
This is turning to a bored of sc appreciation thread. Your definition is awesome bored of sc. You are also awesome in English.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lolokay said:
is this a good thing for a definition? unless it's implied that you're supposed to include the things that shape a person's identity, I personally wouldn't include them quite as much (I'm pretty bad at english though)
It's still a definition, only expanded.

bored of sc

HSC
lolokay said:
Yer. You're right. I guess I should call it a generalised description of identity.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
bored of sc said:
Yer. You're right. I guess I should call it a generalised description of identity.
Was this a task for school or something? Did they call it a definition?

SimonLee13

HSC
Aerath said:
Still can't believe he just does Advanced.
As if he is only doing advanced English... The list seems kinda excessive

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Thanks for that. I shall copy and paste some of the definition to my own speech.

bored of sc

HSC
lyounamu said:
Thanks for that. I shall copy and paste some of the definition to my own speech.
No worries. Glad you like it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)