If English was't compulsory....Who would SERIOUSLY pick it????????? lol (1 Viewer)

kobz

HSC
If English was't compulsory....Who would SERIOUSLY pick it????????? lol

(not that its hard or anything....but it is soooooooo boring and full of bullshit)

Nullz

Nullz
HSC
I was doing good in year 10 so yes....But most probably would have dropped it in year 11....

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
I'd pick it. I find it pretty interesting.

Last edited:

Dr_Doom

HSC
Well I probably would, English was easy back in year 10. But no way I could do it again for another 2 years. Let alone any of my other subjects!

abbashussein

'06 Graduate
HSC
im with u kobz, i woodnt even take another look at it. the difficulty isnt the problem, its just that the texts are boring, especailly the modules like Gwen Harwood has 6 poems we have to know.

HSC english is a joke to the english languae, i miss SC english lol.

rickem

RÎçkõ
HSC
hmmm... well i certainly woudn't. it sucks. when are we ever going to write and AOS essay in our life?

kobz

HSC
abbashussein said:
im with u kobz, i woodnt even take another look at it. the difficulty isnt the problem, its just that the texts are boring, especailly the modules like Gwen Harwood has 6 poems we have to know.

HSC english is a joke to the english languae, i miss SC english lol.
yeh it is a joke to the english language...id rather learn Arabic now, we improve that is....i think all lebos like me and wogs hate HSC english bcuz it isnt their blood language and the HSC course makes them hate it even more with the bullshit they put in it lol

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
rickem said:
hmmm... well i certainly woudn't. it sucks. when are we ever going to write and AOS essay in our life?
The point isn't to educate you about journeys. It's to develop transferable skills like critical analysis and depth of thinking, as well as to improve your writing and speaking generally.

sideshowtim

HSC
English has improved my writing capabilities overall, and I am able to express ideas much more fluently because of it. I don't particularly enjoy it, but I would probably still take it as it does teach vital skills and makes you more articulate.

xx__savannah

HSC
I'd definately pick English, Advanced in particular, I even did Extension for a year until I grew sick of the teacher.
However, I also want to be a journalist, so it's something I enjoy and can see being somewhat beneficial to me in the future.

Triangulum said:
The point isn't to educate you about journeys. It's to develop transferable skills like critical analysis and depth of thinking, as well as to improve your writing and speaking generally.
Agreed, but I think that there is a major need for a more basic English, so people can also learn to spell -- "wasn't", for a start.

HSC
xx__savannah said:
I'd definately pick English, Advanced in particular, I even did Extension for a year until I grew sick of the teacher.
However, I also want to be a journalist, so it's something I enjoy and can see being somewhat beneficial to me in the future.

Agreed, but I think that there is a major need for a more basic English, so people can also learn to spell -- "wasn't", for a start.
I also wish to be a journalist, but I think that English won't help me at all. Journalism is writing in a short and consise manner, English is saying in 150 words what could have been said in five.

karoooh

HSC
I <33333 English! No matter how screwed up the syllabus is.

So, yes.

xx__savannah

HSC
Harry Flashman said:
I also wish to be a journalist, but I think that English won't help me at all. Journalism is writing in a short and consise manner, English is saying in 150 words what could have been said in five.
Some aspects I think will help, like being able to turn what you do know into what is expected of you or wanted, writing for the hell of it, being able to kinda just waffle on about certain points and learn to argue something given a topic, and having general writing style critiqued.

Having said that, I want to write about horseracing, so I need nothing, really, except what you can't learn easily, and not in school.

B35tY

HSC
zangetsu.xo said:
but only if the board would adopt my idea of extension being a separate, 3unit course in which you don't need advanced to do it.
coz i like extension.
AGREEEED!!! I'd have doubts about adv if i had a choice, but i'd never drop crime fiction!

kerfuffle

HSC
I liked English in Year 10 (mainly 'cause I didn't really do my work in Term 4, but mucked around in class, as I hated my teacher), so I would have picked it.
Agree with zangetsu.xo and B35ty on English Extension as a separate course where you don't need to do Advanced to do it. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If english wasn't compulsory, I'd just do my 10 units that I've done on top of english this year. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)