If I created a survey, would YOU take it? (1 Viewer)

simone13

HSC
I'm doing my PIP on how literacy levels of students as they enter high school have dropped in the last five years. As part of my research I am surveying all of the current Year 7 group at my school asking them about their reading habits. I would like to also survey Year 12 students, asking them to recall what their reading habits were like as they entered high school, however, I am not completely comfortable surveying my own grade since they personally know me, I thought this may impact on the reliability of the answers they gave. I don't think it is as big a problem with Year 7 though as I do not personally know any of them.

So then I thought I could somehow set up an online survey and get BOS members to fill it out. That way I could get more honest answers (face it: if a BOS member admits to not being able to read, how will I be able to tell them apart from anyone else I walk past in the street?). So, before I go creating a survey I would just like to know how many people would be willing to assist and give completely honest answers. Also, if anyone knows exactly how to go about creating an online survey, your help will be much appreciated (I was thinking the 'manage attachments' button may be involved).

Thanks for reading, and I hope I get some replies!

BronwynKate

HSC
What about ex-year 12 students?

What limits would you take?

I would be completely honest about not being able to read, had that criterion applied to me.

What about expanding your remit to ALL areas of communication: writing, speaking, listening and reading.

One or other of us will have an area in which we don't feel confident (for me, if you read the Narrative History thread, it will be sentence construction - especially beginning and ending with conjunctions).

Also you may be looking at a self-selected group here. Many might find their literacy levels have increased from the intelligent conversation they are able to access at BoredofStudies. Can they report this effect if they choose?

HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS

My literacy levels have improved/stayed about the same/got worse since I started using BoredofStudies.

BoredofStudies helps me in my Year 10/11/12 work
Agree - Slightly Agree - Neither agree nor disagree - Slightly disagree - Disagree - don't know - don't want to answer

Tell us in 250 words how your literacy has improved/declined as you have got through your HSC/VCE course.

What is the influence of your teachers - parents - peers - the media - in your literacy development?

Do you feel that HSC/VCE increases critical thinking?

That's the end, though you might want to specifically target people taking ESL or Standard English or Foundation English, or who have indicated they took (say) Reading Recovery in the past, or Orton-Gillingham or Sylvan Method for dyslexia/developmental reading disorder.

HYPOTHETICAL QUESTIONS

Are you diagnosed with a reading disorder?

Would you consider yourself to have a reading disorder?

How much does this reading disorder interfere with your academic and social obligations?

How much does it interfere with pleasurable activities? (Do you not see reading as a pleasurable activity? And I know there are a lot who don't).

What sort of treatment/remedial assistance have you had over the past five years? The past ten years? Was it effective or not? What academic tasks did it help you with?

What do you identify as primary and secondary reasons for your academic difficulties? (then a list of reasons such as poverty, lack of motivation, lack of stimulation etc).

There are many online programmes which help you take surveys. Some are more academically rigorous than others.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)