If I Do Better in External... (1 Viewer)

rennieso

HSC
Hi there
was wondering if my ranking isn't fantastic at school, about slightly above average for almost all subjects
but I beat a group of people who are ranked above me in the HSC external exam
and given the condition that my cohorts do well in the external too..

What will be of my final mark for the subject?
Do i get pulled up? or pulled down?

Makematics

HSC
obviously if you rank higher in the external than you did internally it will boost you up to some degree. however, due to the fucked up way in which BOS aligns the marks, you wont get as much of a boost. but you definitely wont get pulled down.

Xerxes123

HSC
so what happens if you have a shit rank and you get raw marks of 95 in the HSC? Can you still receive one of the higher HSC ATAR's in your school?

nexusbrah

Harvey Specter of IB
HSC
so what happens if you have a shit rank and you get raw marks of 95 in the HSC? Can you still receive one of the higher HSC ATAR's in your school?
From what I've learnt is that even if you get the highest mark in the external exam, it goes to the person ranked first in the subject from internals?

Pls confirm

kimmiee--x3

HSC
yep, that is true. It will go to the person who was ranked first internally with ofc, scaling done across the cohort.

Xerxes123

HSC
yep, that is true. It will go to the person who was ranked first internally with ofc, scaling done across the cohort.
but disregard the marks can you still achieve one of the higher *ATARS*? or is it the same ATARS and ranks are synonymous??

i.e shit rank = shit ATAR

Last edited:

AnimeX

HSC
N/A
Just note that a 95 RAW mark is super difficult in the HSC.

If you were to get an aligned mark of 90+ however for most subjects, and you had crappy ranks, lets just say you get 85s because of the crappy ranks. [you can post your ranks up and aims, can give us a better indiction :) ]

And yes of course you can still get a high atar with it, just depends on your definition of high.

Makematics

HSC
yeh i was told that the highest mark goes straight to rank 1 internally, although it is flexible. say person X ranks first internally and says "oh sweet, thats my job done" so he stops working and ends up with 50 raw in his hsc. meanwhile person Y ranks last internally and says "fuck this i dont wanna be a bricklayer, im gonna go all out" so he works hard and gets 92 raw in his hsc. reality is both will end up with a similar hsc mark, though it depends on cohort size

Xerxes123

HSC
just note that a 95 raw mark is super difficult in the hsc.

If you were to get an aligned mark of 90+ however for most subjects, and you had crappy ranks, lets just say you get 85s because of the crappy ranks. [you can post your ranks up and aims, can give us a better indiction :) ]

and yes of course you can still get a high atar with it, just depends on your definition of high.
92 atar

D94

HSC
N/A
From what I've learnt is that even if you get the highest mark in the external exam, it goes to the person ranked first in the subject from internals?

Pls confirm
Yes, this is to determine the maximum school assessment mark. The raw school marks are relative to your school, the HSC exam marks are relative to the state. BOS allocates the highest HSC exam mark to the first ranked student for their assessment mark - this tells us that your school can only perform to the ability of that mark, if all your assessments were the same as all other schools. The lowest moderated assessment mark is capped at the lowest HSC exam mark.

Also, note that 2nd at school does not receive the 2nd highest exam mark for their assessment mark. This is a common misconception. It may be that they still achieve the 2nd highest mark overall, but that's not purely because they are ranked 2nd.

Hi there
was wondering if my ranking isn't fantastic at school, about slightly above average for almost all subjects
but I beat a group of people who are ranked above me in the HSC external exam
and given the condition that my cohorts do well in the external too..

What will be of my final mark for the subject?
Do i get pulled up? or pulled down?
Ranking doesn't really matter. It's how close you are to first place in terms of raw school marks relative to the range of school marks which matters. Ranks do not reflect how well you've actually performed - it may be that you're only 2% away from first place and your assessments were indeed of HSC standard. But what really matters is how well your cohort performs in the HSC exam. If ALL your school's HSC exam marks are within say 85 and 95, then ALL your moderated assessment marks will be within 85 and 95. That means you cannot achieve lower than 85. There are way too many factors to speculate what your mark would be - if it were that easy, the system would probably be broken.

Makematics

HSC
Yes, this is to determine the maximum school assessment mark. The raw school marks are relative to your school, the HSC exam marks are relative to the state. BOS allocates the highest HSC exam mark to the first ranked student for their assessment mark - this tells us that your school can only perform to the ability of that mark, if all your assessments were the same as all other schools. The lowest moderated assessment mark is capped at the lowest HSC exam mark.

Also, note that 2nd at school does not receive the 2nd highest exam mark for their assessment mark. This is a common misconception. It may be that they still achieve the 2nd highest mark overall, but that's not purely because they are ranked 2nd.
lol this is so confusing. so are you saying that the guy who comes first internally automatically gets the highest exam mark and hence the highest hsc mark no matter what?

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
lol this is so confusing. so are you saying that the guy who comes first internally automatically gets the highest exam mark and hence the highest hsc mark no matter what?
Let's assume we have three kids in a class. Their results in the external exam were:

1. 90
2. 85
3. 93

Since the individual ranked at third place attained 93, that EXTERNAL mark goes to first's INTERNAL, while both still keep their OWN exam mark. EVERYONE keeps their OWN exam mark. So first would have 93 as his internal, which will be averaged with 90 to produce the final mark for that particular subject. To accord with this, third will get 85 as his INTERNAL because that is the lowest mark and he's last.

Presumably, we would think that second would get 90 as his internal since that's the second highest mark. However, FIRST gets the highest, LAST gets the lowest and everyone is moderated in between, so it may not necessarily be the third highest mark, but rather, it will be reflective of the gap between first and second (in this case) in the internal assessments. So if first was on a 60 internal (raw, no moderation yet) and second was on a 55, his internal moderated mark would be five points lower than first's MODERATED MARK. Since first got 93 as his moderated, 2nd would be five points lower, so it would be 88.

Last edited:

Xerxes123

HSC
meaning top ranks = top HSC marks?

so if someone does extremely well in external and has shit ranks, he is limited frmo a band 6 (TECHINCALLY)

D94

HSC
N/A
No. The highest exam mark will be the moderated assessment mark of the person who is ranked first. Whatever exam mark they achieve, they will keep.

D94

HSC
N/A
meaning top ranks = top HSC marks?

so if someone does extremely well in external and has shit ranks, he is limited frmo a band 6 (TECHINCALLY)

Not necessarily. They keep their own exam mark. If they do crap in the exam, then their final mark will probably be an average mark.

Xerxes123

HSC
alright. to whoever answers this question. Please simply write YES or NO. I appreciate everyone who comments, but in saying that no one has simply answered the question.

If someone were to go into the HSC for example with ranks as bad as...

Advanced English 30/45
Business Studies 40/ 50
Maths General 35/45
ETC ETC ETC.

And then they destroyed the HSC with raw marks of 95 can they still get a high ATAR, by high i mean a low to mid range BAND 6! (90-95)

D94

HSC
N/A
There's no simple "yes or no" answer. There are way too many factors to even begin to speculate what possible ATAR you can get. There's no such thing as a "BAND 6" ATAR. They are two completely different concepts in terms of the HSC and ATAR.

If you don't understand how the system works, you should read up on it so you can see how much more complex it really is. You can't just go from ranks to ATAR. You can't just go from HSC marks to ATAR. It doesn't work like that. If there was a simple explanation, I would have given you a simple explanation.

If you have time to ask on BOS, then you have time to read the relevant websites which will answer your question:

Where do your results come from? + ATAR: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/understanding.html
How are the results determined?: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/determining-achievement.html
Moderation: http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/hsc-results/moderation.html

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)