If you had $200 to blow on books... (1 Viewer)

J

jhakka

I went shopping yesterday! Spent more than $200 (paid like... $35 from my own pocket).

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier
Catch 22 by Joseph Heller
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
The Crooked Letter by Sean Williams
The Blood Debt by Sean Williams
The Hanging Mountains by Sean Williams
The Devoured Earth by Sean Williams
Circle of Flight by John Marsden
Great Lies to Tell Small Kids by Andy Riley
Loads More Lies to Tell Small Kids by Andy Riley

:D

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
jhakka said:
I went shopping yesterday! Spent more than $200 (paid like... $35 from my own pocket).

Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Marillier
Son of the Shadows by Juliet Marillier
Child of the Prophecy by Juliet Marillier
I've read these three, they're pretty good though a bit romantic. I think you'll like the first and last ones best.

Serius

Beyond Godlike
HSC
ok i borrowed catch-22 from the library today cause you guys said it was good. If it fails to enthrall i am going to be very annoyed.

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Serius said:
ok i borrowed catch-22 from the library today cause you guys said it was good. If it fails to enthrall i am going to be very annoyed.
oh it will, trust me. unless you're not very intelligent. which doesn't seem to be the case :)

karoooh

HSC
OMG

You guys make me want to re-read Catch-22 as well! Or rather, pick it up again - It's agreat book, but then I found another book and felt like reading that one instead and enver got back into Catch-22 again. :eek:

brows

HSC
jhakka said:
There are a couple in there that I have actually been meaning to read for a while now (mainly the Otherland ones, but a couple of the Feist ones too). I have read Ludlum's Hannibal books and I think they are awesome. Have to wait a year for Hannibal Rising to come out in paperback, though. :(

Just for my own reference, a couple of books I'd like to look into (and have not read for some strange reason):
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Catch 22 by Joseph Heller

And a couple that are more for novelty than anything else:
  • Great Lies to Tell Small Kids by Andy Riley
  • Loads More Lies to Tell Small Kids by Andy Riley
Mocking bird is pretty good book. You have probably read catcher in the rye but in the small chance that u havnt check that out. I really enjoyed it.

Skeeta

HSC
If I got $200 to blow on books, I'd have to decline, because I dont have a penis

:eek:

J

jhakka

walrusbear said:
doing any more english this semester jhakka??
Yup. I'm going with ENGL2641 -The 18th Century: Authority and Anxiety and ENGL2653- Varieties of English Grammar. Was originally going with Shakespeare instead of 18th Century, but because of timetable issues (5 day week! I THINK NOT!) and intimidating assessment and generally being meh about it, I dropped it. Now have a lovely 3-day week, and get to have Will Christie as a lecturer again. :D Unfortunately, unless I fail, this will be my last uni English experience.

What're you looking at this semester?

brows said:
Mocking bird is pretty good book. You have probably read catcher in the rye but in the small chance that u havnt check that out. I really enjoyed it.
I absolutely loved To Kill a Mockingbird. Can't believe I hadn't read that one.

I'll have to look into Catcher in the Rye. I also want to read Nineteen Eighty-Four and Animal Farm by Orwell.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
OH I just finished rereading Catcher in the Rye for about the tenth time yesterday.

I can't believe you haven't read that! Have you read any of J.D Salinger? I would highly recommend his collection of short stories "For Esmé - with Love and Squalor".

J

jhakka

Unfortunately I have not read a lot of those must reads. One of my goals is to get through as many of the various Top 100 books (Angus and Robertson is my current guide since it was easy enough to grab a brochure) as possible. I have read embarassingly few of them. :(

Salinger is someone I'll definitely have to look into.

walrusbear

HSC
jhakka said:
Yup. I'm going with ENGL2641 -The 18th Century: Authority and Anxiety and ENGL2653- Varieties of English Grammar. Was originally going with Shakespeare instead of 18th Century, but because of timetable issues (5 day week! I THINK NOT!) and intimidating assessment and generally being meh about it, I dropped it. Now have a lovely 3-day week, and get to have Will Christie as a lecturer again. :D Unfortunately, unless I fail, this will be my last uni English experience.

What're you looking at this semester?
i'm doing another big load :p

was originally enrolled in american lit (still am), contemp. british lit. and cinematic modernity. unfortunately i got an email pointing out that i need to do different subjects to qualify for english honours. so i've switched to the 'long nineteenth century' A and B instead of the latter two.

walrusbear

HSC
Tulipa said:
OH I just finished rereading Catcher in the Rye for about the tenth time yesterday.

I can't believe you haven't read that! Have you read any of J.D Salinger? I would highly recommend his collection of short stories "For Esmé - with Love and Squalor".
i always enjoyed catcher in the rye but i've recently been looking into his short stories (the glass family essentially). i picked up the 3 volumes but i haven't read any of them yet bar 'a nice day for bananafish' (i think it's called). it was brilliant anyways! i'll be getting around to the rest soon.

GMK

HSC
I love fantasy, sci-fi, and basically most books in that category of fictional worlds. My favourite writers would probably be Robin Hobb, Cecelia Dart-Thornton, Terry Goodkind...also, i think Anne Mcaffery (i think that is how you spell it) is a great sci-fi writer.

also...catcher in the rye was an amazing book, havent read any of his other stuff, but i would like to :).

sagganuts

HSC
Buy anything you can find by Ken Kesey, Jack Kerouac, Aldous Huxley, George Orwell, William Golding, Daniel Pinchbeck, Ray Bradbury or Tom Wolfe.

becthelank

Study Avoider
HSC
you know how you feel stupid for not reading a book that the world seems to have read? id read all of those books. starting with nineteen eighty four. i swore off chick lit after the summer holidays because i didnt want people to think i was stupid. but maybe id buy one or two to read when noones looking.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)