I'm a Genius!! (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
Originally posted by Lugia
But shouldn't the square root of 1 be only 1 ? If it says root of 1^2 then it would be +/-1. Cause root(x^2) = +/- x but root(x) means only the positive square root of x^2 which is x. :idea:
Well, actually, the definition of |x| = sqrt(x^2)
:apig:

wogboy

Terminator
HSC
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Lugia
But shouldn't the square root of 1 be only 1 ? If it says root of 1^2 then it would be +/-1. Cause root(x^2) = +/- x but root(x) means only the positive square root of x^2 which is x.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If x is over the complex field, then the story changes and you must take both roots since there is no notion of positive or negative in the complex plane.

Originally posted by spice girl
Well, actually, the definition of |x| = sqrt(x^2)

This definition of |x| is absolutely correct if x is to be real (over the real field). However, if we allow x to be complex (over the complex field) then that rule doesn't hold anymore. If for example x=i. Then:

LHS = |i| = 1, and
RHS = sqrt(i^2) = sqrt(-1) = i

The reason why |i| is 1 is because the absolute value of a number is really its modulus when in the form z = rcis. i = 1cis(pi/2) and consequently |i| = 1.

The real definition of the "absolute value" is the distance of that number from the origin when represented on an Argand diagram.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)