im doing so crap in Advaced English... (1 Viewer)

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
I think i want to drop down to Standard English..im getting 8/20 for my essays in Advanced...(my teacher is marking at HSC level)..and i don't know..is that a horrible mark?? 8/20 in advanced english??

iloveapple

HSC
umm.. well it's not fantastic.
have you asked your teacher why you're getting those kind of marks though?
i think it's really important to establish why first, and then try to improve from there. it's so hard to improve if you don't know what you're doing wrong.

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
well..i need to improve on my Written Expression and Clarity..i don't know why but its so hard for me to improve on them..

kawaiinlove

HSC
If you can, get a teacher to look at your work before you submit it.

iloveapple

HSC
well written expression basically means language, and clarity is how clear you present your argument.
try to read lots of good essays with solid language, and try to pick up as much as you can.
it's going to be difficult to dramatically improve your written language in time for the hsc though... so i dunno =/

HSC
^ actually no not really. its just practise & reading lots of A sample essays.
i improved so dramatically in yr 11 that i ended up ranking 4th in advanced english.

you can improve by the end of yr 11 & definatly by the HSC :)

melissa92

HSC
Uni Grad
i hope i do..i really need to improve on English..so..i can get that UAI I want..lmao :) I hope i do improve..

HSC
you will trust me :)
i improved soooooooooo much since last year. i look at some of the stuff i write now & i still cant believe its me. english becomes alot easier once you get how to write everything :D

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
1. Ask your teacher to check draft essays.
2. Get an English tutor to help you refine your work.
3. Write a lot of practice essays after seeing good essays (A range).
4. Study the concept for the essay if possible so that your writing and ideas come across more clearly (i.e. definitions, mindmaps, research, etc).
5. Being surrounded by smart people does help since you get ideas from them to help your own writing.

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I've noticed my improvements over the years. Take for example in Year 7 and 8 I ALMOST failed an exam (so close). I got 50%, under 50 was a fail to most the teachers... although it's a long way back, reflecting on what I've done up until now was really just practicing a fait bit of writing and actually trying to use more 'smart' words, improving my comprehension.

The best way to improve, is to write and hand in drafts. Try to like English more, and you may do better.

K

khorne

I think reading sample essays is a good idea...Also, find a few websites which detail how to structure arguments(eg point, supporting evidence, etc), and paragraph structure.

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
I wouldn't drop to standard, because your marks won't improve. I doubt they would take 'pity' on you, (for want of a better word) and mark you higher on the same standard of work just because you are in a lower class. Keep in adv at least for this year, and I agree with everyone else;
Talk to the teacher and find out what you are doing wrong. Start out from the basics, make sure you have good structure to your essay.
I use the formula:

Value:
Technique:
Example (quote):
Meaning:
Effect:

For every paragraph, about 1 sentence-ish on each.
If you have a shit teacher try other sources, a tutor is good if you have the money, but if not there are other ways.
Once you have the basics down, having strong concept and structure, THEN start improving your vocabulary, and hence sophistication.
With practise youll improve for yr 12 ^^ Ask your teacher for extra practise essays and have them mark them (if you have time that is..). And if you can get your hands on some other essays, read them. If you have friends who are getting good marks, ask if you could read them and compare theirs to yours, see what is different.
But dont drop yet.

speedofsound

HSC
yeah, i wouldn't drop just yet. you have the ret of the year to improve. besides, your head teacher should advise you as to what level of english you should be doing by the end of yr 11.

tehrobzorz

HSC
so i guess the general advice around here is :

DONT drop down.
Read essays
Practice makes perfect
Find a tutor

I completely agree with deer in that, just because you drop down to standard that doesn't mean your mark 8/20 would equal a 16/20 in standard. No, standard and Adv are pretty much the same, only that there is no shakespeare in std ( at least none in my school =X )
If that essay was on shakespeare and you have trouble understanding and relating/expressing shakespeares ideas, then you will need to take a step by step one on one basis approach and make sure you get your head around it.

Read A range essays. Try and find differences and sentence structures that you can take from them. There are plenty of stickies that outline how to plan and write out an essay.

Goodluck in further assessments =]

k2nv

HSC
Even though I'm in the top class for english, I too feel like I'm failing. I think its the high expectations that kind of scare me personally. I've just been asking my friends whom have done the hsc (4u english) to read over it and give me some pointers on it. That should do the trick. Befriend year 12's now - it'll benefit you in the long-term. Then you have someones shoulder to cry on when its your turn.

princess_nic

HSC
dont worry its the beginning of the year, just get your teacher to look over you work before submitting it finally, and standard does exactly the same stuff with out shakespere, and its easy, stay there work hard and u will feel really great when it all pays off!!

youngminii

Banned
HSC
Don't worry about finding a tutor, you don't even need your teacher's help. Practice writing essays by using different advice/guides, brush up on your vocabulary and make sure you get your structure right. Use some of the guides provided in the English section (they're sticked) and make sure you relate everything back to that all important thesis.

In the first English Advanced assessment I did in Year 11, I got 6/20. Second last in the grade (and worse than you by the way). Now I'm averaging 13/15 and coming top 10 or something.

Oh yeah, use your Year 11 (since it doesn't count) to experiment with different essay styles. Trust me, you can afford to fail all your Year 11 assessments if it means finding a good method of writing essays by Year 12. Just keep trying different styles of writing and when you good mark, ask what's wrong with it and improve it and STICK WITH IT.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)