• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Im no expert, but I have an idea for taxes (2 Viewers)

darkfenrir

HSC
yes that is what i am saying.
So what you're saying is the government will have discretionary spend set up in the budget, and ask voters to pick from there? Might work but I suspect the cost of administering and auditing such a system would probably outweigh any savings/benefits, and somehow I doubt it would lead to a reduction in taxes (which is what people would usually prefer).
This is what needs to be analysed and calculated, whether or not there will be any substantial benefit from the initiative if there is still administrative stuff to be done. Thus my proposition is to suggest the whole idea to a government official and let THEM calculate whether the benefits are worth the cost, however much it may be.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Really all you're doing is providing another feedback mechanism for people to direct government expenditure in the budgets ahead but not actually reduce it. I can only think this system would work with a significant time lag given that budgets and planned spending need to be locked in (or at least planned for) quite a bit in advance.

darkfenrir

HSC
Really all you're doing is providing another feedback mechanism for people to direct government expenditure in the budgets ahead but not actually reduce it. I can only think this system would work with a significant time lag given that budgets and planned spending need to be locked in (or at least planned for) quite a bit in advance.
You got me there. Perhaps rather than getting straight into the system a referendum should be held and all the ancillary funds the government spends could be listed and people vote off a significant amount of them as "undesirable". KEEPING IN MIND the central economic funds are still kept in place by the government.

Then once a large portion of the undesirables are eliminated, the rest could be left under the control of the people.

Actually fuck it have a referendum to simply COMPLETELY eliminate anything ancillary?? That way the whole administrative stuff involved with the taxes is gone.

YEA THATS MUCH BETTER IDEA get the government to send out forms (Like the census or something) which list all non-critical spending of the government and everyone will just destroy it all hahahl. YAY much better idea! :D

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
this is literally the kind of terrible, unworkable idea that some shitty progressive political party would put forward and implement

fuck it, im moving to new zealand

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
this is one of your best attempts yet cosmo

darkfenrir

HSC
Fuck, I keep looking back at ur post sylvia and I bloody crack up EVERY time haha

Elwood13

HSC
Don't listen to everyone else - I think it's a great idea.

If there's any issues, just print more money. That way we can have an NDIS and KFC subsidies.

Last edited:

Ashton Jones

HSC
N/A
The problem is that people can game this system by expressing extreme preferences instead of the true distribution they would actually like to see.

Say someone that cares a lot about the environment allocated 100% to "environmental protection" even though they wouldn't really want to see 100% of the budget allocated in this way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)