I'm Sick (1 Viewer)

champo14

HSC
I have tonsillitis, fucking great. As well as not enjoying my graduation this is one of the worst times (not the worst, obviously, but still real bad) to get sick.

What should I do? Should I just try to get better and then study after that? Or should I try little bits of study until I get better? Does anyone think this will affect my performance?

Also:
Anybody got anytips on how to get better quicker? And how long will I be cursed with this damn sickness!

So while you're out there studying, spare a thought for lil' ol' me.

blakegman

HSC
N/A
1. go to the doctor
2. get prescription of penicilan
3. be cured in 3-4 days

thats how it went for me last month. i wouldnt bother trying to study, maybe just reading some notes or textbooks in between sleeping

HSC
Focus on getting better first and then studying
take a shit load of antibotics
and drink heaps of water
stay indoors
and just read over notes
reading is the best thing
even record your notes and then put them in your ear
whislt you are sleeping

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
Get well first and then study. You'll learn nothing when you're feeling sick :)

bethrealistic

HSC
Ok, probably some of the worst advice I've ever read in my life on this thread...

DO NOT stay indoors the whole time! Worst possible idea, it'll stop you getting better.
Get some fresh air at least every second day, sit out in the sun, it gives you vitamin D! Open a window once in a while, too.
Just make sure you do not get too cold or too hot!

Consider combining whatever treatment your doctor gives you with herbal stuff like garlic, echinecea, vitamin C, to help your immune system, but DO NOT take these unless asking your doctor first.

Third piece of advice - don't attempt to "study" in the conventional sense.
Studying/reading/making notes will kill your brain while you're sick, so instead you should keep thinking about your texts, watching films for English, listening to your music pieces, whatever.
I know your brain will be completely out of it, but thinking and listening is a good way to keep in touch with your work without actually reading and giving yourself a headache.

Final advice: stop as soon as you are tired. Get as much sleep as you feel you need.
You shouldn't feel guilty about not doing work! When you feel tired, it's a pretty darn good indicator that you need rest.

Better to heal than to push yourself too hard.

Good luck!

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
bethrealistic said:
Ok, probably some of the worst advice I've ever read in my life on this thread...
Hey! My advice wasn't that bad :(

bethrealistic

HSC
Yeah yours was good, I sorta meant love.is.around's advice on staying indoors. =P

blakegman

HSC
N/A
my doctor told me to stay indoors when i had tonsillitis, to not leave my bed except for the toilet. are you calling him wrong ?

tonsillitis is not exactly an epic immune system battle. a couple days with a bit less sunlight is not going to harm anybody.

Ademir

HSC
blakegman said:
my doctor told me to stay indoors when i had tonsillitis, to not leave my bed except for the toilet. are you calling him wrong ?

tonsillitis is not exactly an epic immune system battle. a couple days with a bit less sunlight is not going to harm anybody.
Lol I think what your doctor means is "don't go out clubbing" and "dont play sport" and "don't go to the shops for 3 hours".

If you have a balcony or a porch or a garden or something, going outside for 10-15 minutes a day will probably do you some good, assuming you're comfortable and not cold or hot.

Nothing will happen to you if you choose to stay inside though.

ps. i am not a doctor

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
champo14 said:
I have tonsillitis, fucking great. As well as not enjoying my graduation this is one of the worst times (not the worst, obviously, but still real bad) to get sick.

What should I do? Should I just try to get better and then study after that? Or should I try little bits of study until I get better? Does anyone think this will affect my performance?

Also:
Anybody got anytips on how to get better quicker? And how long will I be cursed with this damn sickness!

So while you're out there studying, spare a thought for lil' ol' me.
Seriously, just do what the Dr. tells you to. They're a lot more qualified than BOS members. If you have any questions regarding studying while sick just ask the DR. :)

looie

HSC
Along with what others have said, consider taking some throat menthols with something to numb in them. This takes off the edge off of having tonsillitis.

Also boil some water and mix with a heap of salt in a cup. Then take a big sip and gargle it for a few seconds. Gargle the whole cup and apart from having a super salty mouth you should notice a bit of the edge taken off.

Don't drink any really cold stuff this is not good for you in your current condition.

I've had a bunch of toncilitis and the best thing for it what I've said above plus lots of water, lying on your backside but sit upwards (you want to make it so you're not swallowing very often, to avoid the pain). Another thing to help against the infection is a hot lemon with lots of honey.

1 lemon
boiled water
honey
mix it tastes quite nice and feels good.

Hope you get better! I'm so scared of getting sick during the exams.

starrysky

HSC
Damnit, I was going to recommend the lemon honey tea.

Ah well.

Any warm beverage will give your throat the rest it needs. :)

Hope you feel better! *glomp*

bethrealistic

HSC
blakegman said:

What are you people, Victorians?!
I dunno, I've always thought the quickest way to get better is to not resign yourself to being sickly, instead moving around a bit, getting fresh air (rather than shutting yourself inside with all the sick air).

My doctor (who is also trained as a naturopath, maybe that has something to do with it?) told my sister when she had tonsilitis to get extra sun, and not to completely shut down by lazing around, but at the same time not to place too much demand on herself.

But like tanjin says, your doctor will definitely tell you the right course of action (although evidently different doctors will give you different advice).

shona1990

HSC
UGH, I'm sick as well. Feel like dying. All I've been doing is playing Warcraft. (Bad, I know. *hides*)
I seriously cannot bring myself to do ANYTHING. But at the same time I feel good that I have an excuse not to study. But... Argh, i'm gonna regret it. Have to work at 2 today, as well. Kill me?

xclusv2bhung

sexier than neha x10000
HSC
shona1990 said:
UGH, I'm sick as well.
ARGH friggen .. same !
Got a chest infection at the moment ... for no reason ... but I cant concentrate when I study =(

tanjin

el oh vee eee ♥
HSC
xclusv2bhung said:
ARGH friggen .. same !
Got a chest infection at the moment ... for no reason ... but I cant concentrate when I study =(
misadventure time! - exaggerate the sickness a little...a slight cough turned into a tumour? :p

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I trick myself into thinking that I'm a genetically modified human being who is immune to all diseases and it reduces the severity of the sickness.
(a.k.a. placebo effect)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)