imaginative journey help to study. (1 Viewer)

jordie4

HSC
So there's 15 days till the english paper one *anxious*, and today im going to write all of my essays.

On imaginative journeys, how should i study them, write practice essay over practice essay, but how does one know if there any good?
and with teachers on holidays, and such. I'd really have to wait till the first week back at school, which is a bit late to be told im wrong.
Is there a structure i should use or that would be recommended, and what to base the paragraphs around, around theme's? or what?

eek. too short of time =/

any help however much appreciated :)

SunshineButter

HSC
What i've done, is put each of my related texts ( Across the Universe by Julie Taymor and Whats Eating Gilbert Grape by Peter Hedges) and the core(Tempest) into one brain storm thingy.

The First thing to do is look at each of your texts and figure out a really broad thesis such as, "Journeys are more than a physical displacement but a growth to understanding and enlightenment"

The Dot points under each text for me (this might not work for you) is each good scene or point of analysis in the text which i can talk about.
Lets look at the Tempest under the above thesis; some good scenes that i've picked out are the Storm scene at the beginning (I'm really sorry if you don't do the tempest), The Miranda and Ferdinand relationship altogether, and the end scene. I've done these scenes because they fit into my thesis and show the scope of the journey.

Techniques are so important, So under each scene or dot point write down quotes, techniques etc.

Once you've done everything, Link all texts together, and perhaps narrow it down a bit. The good thing about having a broad thesis is that you can mould it around the question. One of my more narrow thesis's are, 'the journey can be initiated from a disturbance to the trajectory (original) course...... can lead to growth and understanding bla bla bla..."

when thinking about the structure. It is different for everyone and what suits them so i can't really help you. Except i can show you what i could do; if that helps. I'm sorry if it doesn't.

Introduction:
  • Thesis statement which underlines what a journey is.
  • Explain briefly how the journey is explored in each of the texts you'll talk about.
Paragraph 1: (you can split this into several since talking in detail about the core text is so important)
  • Core Text
Paragraph 2:
  • Related Text 1
  • How this relates to Core Text. E.g. this is a similar theme in the tempest, in the same way Prosporo in the tempest, etc.
Paragraph 3:
  • Related Text 2
  • How this relates to Core Text.
Conclusion

I really hope this helps.
I'm not an expert at english.
Mind maps really help.

emmmy

HSC
does anyone have some possible essay questions i could use.. i made a list and lost them :(

Shadose

Enjoy Life
HSC
So have you practiced the past papers?

Here is one:
'Life as a journey, whether you like it or not - so you might as well learn something along the way.'

How well does this reflect your study of the journey? Refer to one prescribed text and at least TWO related text of your own choosing.

I'm currently doing that one.

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
Shadose said:
'Life as a journey, whether you like it or not - so you might as well learn something along the way.'
Omg, that is such a brilliant question
Ok this is what I would do:

Tempest:
Main focus will be on Prospero's journey (how he casts the play and ironically gets lead by the responses of his cast), talk about his change and what he learnt
Juxtapose this to Antonio and Sebastian

Talk about Caliban, how he made the mistake of committing himself to Prospero, and then Stephano and Trinculo.
AND how the audience through their imaginative journey, have changed their perceptions on him.
Specifically his speech on the music of the island.

Animal Farm:
Talk about how Orwell, through the journey of his book, elucidated the Soviet movement to the general population.

Lovesong of J Alfred Prufrock
I would contrast Prufrocks actions to the question,
Like T. S. Eliot demonstrates to his readers that through inaction in a journey, you are left wallowing in your own individuality (Till human voices wake us, and we drown), unaffected by change

Well, it may not have helped you but it helped me :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)