Imaginative Journey Question (1 Viewer)

clozza

HSC
well well.. that was a bit different!!

im sure you guys dont want to hear another thesis statement and 800000 texts i may have pre prepared...

so with that im going to leave you with this thought:
You are bigger than the HSC.

:) respect.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
didnt even know was speculation meant

was just going "yep yep, i so agree with my essay and whatever I just wrote. It totally agrees with the original statement"

passion89

HSC
Yeah half my grade (or should that be school??) didn't know what speculation meant and they were all kicking themselves later when our head teacher of english pointed it out.

Mel_b

HSC
I basically wrote that all imaginative journeys were based on speculation, because it's our speculative abilities that allow us to question and therefore transcend physical and mental boundaries.

I only used one related text because I write less paragraphs, but really long ones. I did
The Tempest
The Solitaire Mystery
Journeys Over Land And Sea.

I'm very surprised that people didn't know what speculative meant- it's in the syllabus / rubric.

It worked quite well with my texts - I mostly dealt with the way the imaginative journey blurs the lines between imagination and reality, which requires speculation on the part of the responder. If you interpret speculation as contemplating the unknown or ambiguous, you can answer in quite a similar way to the Catholic 'assumptions' trial - our speculative abilities allow us to challenge the assumptions that underpin the journey.

Last edited:

xxxx8888

HSC
passion89 said:
Yeah half my grade (or should that be school??) didn't know what speculation meant and they were all kicking themselves later when our head teacher of english pointed it out.
thank god i wasn't the only one. when i read the posts of people who argued against it, i almost died.

oh well. i don't give a shit anymore.

1 down, 5 to go (had to add that in, sorry)

jessicaw

HSC
hey i didnt like it...i hadnt prepared for that.
i did coleridge, road not taken and the butterfly effect..i was to stressed to try an argue a point, i just referenced speculation at the end of each text...
do u think i will go alrite??...n i guess i argued for..

meg_1_2_3_4_5

HSC
Yeah i argued for as well. Do you think i'll be marked down if i used 2 texts from the stimulus booklet??? It said to use one from the stimulus and at least one of your own choice, but i used 2 from each. my bad.

bananasmoothy

SHAKEN not StIrReD
HSC
Mel_b said:
I basically wrote that all imaginative journeys were based on speculation, because it's our speculative abilities that allow us to question and therefore transcend physical and mental boundaries.

I only used one related text because I write less paragraphs, but really long ones. I did
The Tempest
The Solitaire Mystery
Journeys Over Land And Sea.

I'm very surprised that people didn't know what speculative meant- it's in the syllabus / rubric.

It worked quite well with my texts - I mostly dealt with the way the imaginative journey blurs the lines between imagination and reality, which requires speculation on the part of the responder. If you interpret speculation as contemplating the unknown or ambiguous, you can answer in quite a similar way to the Catholic 'assumptions' trial - our speculative abilities allow us to challenge the assumptions that underpin the journey.
Your definition is pretty much what I wrote... the "blurring reality and imagination" part is pretty much my opening sentence. :p

BUT, I think I wrote "process of speculation" about 10 times each page. And the rare times I didn't write that in a sentence, it was "the speculation process".

At least I can say I was emphasising the thesis. :D

I'm surprised people didn't know what speculation means... I haven't read the English rubric (BORing) but I still know what it means! It's a common word. The advanced people at least should've known what it means.

HSC
i was so happy with this question.. everything that i had prepared, every practise essay that i had done, i had incorporated something to do with some imaginative journeys being speculative..
my argument was basically there are other components, other than speculation, to an imaginative journey, and no one of them are the dominant thing in all, like speculation might be in some but in others it might be learning experiences or something else.. i used wizard of oz, the road not taken, kubla khan and this lime tree bower my prison to support my argument..

Hermzie

rarrrrrrrrr
HSC
The question was taken straight out of the elective for imaginative journeys, so I was ready for it. Luckily, all my texts treated the imaginative journey as one of speculation, so I argued for it.

HSC
I argued for it, but basically said that speculative journeys=imaginative journeys, but the importance things is that speculative journeys lead to change and growth etc etc. I felt weird, kinda changing the question but I discussed it with my teacher and she showed me a sample top band answer that did basically the same thing.

kangarulz

Procrastinaton
HSC
i think only 2 in my eng class knew what speculation meant :(

emadate

HSC
That Imaginative journey question through me right off. Speculation is such a random element.. I think i used a really obscure definition for it too.. I ended up just arguing against it and using my planned essay.

The creative sucked arse also, wtf why did they give us the start to the story, and such a narrow one at that, it demanded a character I didnt even want to factor in. stupid exam. I think the questions were badly chosen and far too specific.

I have lost all faith in the concept of pre-preparing ur essays, I wasted too much trim trying to work out how to link them to those questions.

section one on the other hand was my saving grace. thank god for unseen texts.

Naylyn

HSC
I argued against it. I said that for an imaginative journey to occur first the traveller must suspend their belief and become open to new ideas, then for it to be an imaginative journey there must be the opportunity for change for the better. Then i said that without either of these there could be no imaginative journey and hence no speculation.

poopoohead

HSC
i argued against. my thesis was really something like: imaginative journeys are more complex than a mere speculative journey- i think i said it is a complex process that involves the composer inspiring us to travel on an imaginative journey, one that is both purely imaginative as well as speculative. or something like that

my set text was the Tempest. yes, Ill never have to ever think about the idiot shakespeare agian in my entire life!!!!i used Journey to Interior cos it was the one i had prepared for.

smely

HSC
I stuffed it up BIG time.. i wasnt sure wat speculation meant.. i thought it was thinking about something.. i didnt know it was thinking about the future... i said that the process fo speculaton leads to an appreciation of the world around you and the individuals placed in it... i am SO gone....

Sulsana9

HSC
OMG i thought i had doone alright in my essay but reading what everyone else wrote im really starting to worry. First i had no idea what speculation ment so i just chucked in the phrase "process of speculation" wherever i could and then i wrote about illusion and reality and the consideration of what is real and what isn't. Damn stupid english it will be the death of me!
I did tempest, journeys over land and sea, where the wild things are and the mysterious geographic explorations of jasper morello

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
I seriously thought that all schools would have gone through this whole concept of speculation etc. I've always thought it was critical, crucial and fundamental to the whole idea of an Imaginative Journey??? So hearing of people that haven't really heard of "speculation" has me honestly dumbfounded :O

In all, I agreed with the statement and my essay ideas were easily molded to fit :)
yay!

sxcnerdgirl

Aussie Aussie Aussie
HSC
I'm still not sure whether i've done it right or not... it doesnt really matter now.. i argued against because i hadn't studied my texts in that way. i twisted the question around to fit my thesis. went along the lines of how the process of speculation is not evident in all imag journ and instead the dominance of the imagination and the universal themes in my texts are what imag journs are all about, more than anything. i think i just rephrased the question a whole lot of times... Oh well my essay structure and that was good... hope the content was decent lol
Good Luck to everyone else.

bboyelement

HSC
they probably wanted us to write an argument (exposition) rather than an normal essay this year ... i cant remember what i wrote but yeah i went for because i thought everyone would go against ... i wanted mine to be speciall hhahha

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)