Imaginative journeys essay help!!! (1 Viewer)

blondechik

HSC
Hey can anyone help me with this essay topic??
"More than anything else, imaginative journeys are about the process of speculation. Do you agree? Argue your point of view."
In your answer, refer to your prescribed text (Frost at Midnight by Samual Taylor Coleridge), ONE text from the prescribed stimulus booklet, Journeys (The Ivory Trail book cover) and at least ONE text of your own choosing (The Matrix film).
Please help me. Im not sure where to start!!!
thanks
jess

atreus

HSC
this is the 2006 question? well in the syllabus or somewhere it is writtent hat imaginative journeys can be about or deal with: inspiration, speculation and intellectual discovery. i think there r more but these three r the easiest to separate things into.

usually, each imaginative journey is inspired by something from real life, or there is some source of inspiration which makes it an imaginative journey.
most imaginative journeys also speculate or somehow comment on "what if?"
then there is also usually some sort of intellecutal discovery- usually a main character comes to a realisation about life or somehting as a result of their imaginative journey.

so the way that most ppl i know dealt with this question was that they disagreed with the statement, that although specualtion is a large part of imaginative journeys, they are just as much about what the journeys are inspired by and the intellectual discovery that someone undergoes as well.

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
atreus said:
so the way that most ppl i know dealt with this question was that they disagreed with the statement, that although specualtion is a large part of imaginative journeys, they are just as much about what the journeys are inspired by and the intellectual discovery that someone undergoes as well.
Yeah, I think that's the best way to approach the question. If you do it that way then you can talk about all the different features of the imaginative journey - if this was an exam you'd want to have arguments and examples of these different features neatly categorised - instead of just about speculation, and then evaluate the importance of the various features at the end.

HSC
Ahh yes that was the 2006 HSC question, why have they made you refer to Frost at Midnight? WE were allowed to use any coleridge. So slack.

Well you can argue for or against this statement. If you disagree with the statement and talk about all the other aspects of the journey thats good because you are addressing the syllabus dot points...as long as you don't steer away from the question too much...read the elective statement, that whole imaginatiion, speculation inspiration thing...

If you agree with the question that is also good because answering the question, as would might expect is pretty important. incorporate some of your own ideas on the journey and how that relates to the question and always support this with evidence in each text!

EDIT: Just realised you probably chose to use Frost at Midnight as your coleridge text. You must realise all four poems come together to be one text "The Poems of S.T. Coleridge" so you won't get away with using one poem...so you're also going to have to incorporate one of the other poems

When you do coleridge you generally do either Lime Tree Bower/Frost AND Kubla Khan/Rime of the Ancient Mariner...in any case it has to be at least two poems...

Last edited:

shoe-gal45

HSC
We did Colleridge, but we studied all four poems, i.e. Kubla Khan, Frost at Midnight, Lime Tree Bower and Rime of the Ancient Mariner. Is that not what everyone does?? Please give feedback..

mad-triste

HSC
I thought that the idea was, you study all four so you can choose the two that most support your thesis statement. Well, that's what we had to do.

studymyassoff

HSC
yep
every shool need to teach all 4 poems to students
and for your hsc you will only need to choose 2 of those poems
so yep it is a good idea to choose your poems earlier as that you wont really need to concentrate as much on the other ones and use that time to do other important things.

laurasia

HSC
N/A
read some sample essays ranging from band 1- 6 on the board of studies website
its will give you some idea and foundation too start your assignment off

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)