Imagine.......Too Easy? (1 Viewer)

quincyboi

HSC
Ive got some uber assignment that involves discussing the imaginative journeys of 8 texts. My teachers told my class not to choose texts based on their ease. do u think the song Imagine would be too simplistic to do?

georgiarae

HSC
we're doing imaginative journeys too, although we only have to do five texts...
one of the texts we studied in class was 'imagine' so i think it would be fine to do, if we studied it as a class text... although dont take my advice to heart because id feel terrible if i was wrong.

Last edited:

Cykologi_gal

Psyche...
HSC
If you can find points to talk about - like how it relates to the questions and how WELL it answers the question - then go for it. Personally, I'm not a big fan of song lyrics, as I did Coleridge and it was best not to do anymore poems and alike...But yes, it doesn't need much research and thinking, does it? The song is a bit cliched but it depends on the question, like when it asks how imagination assists humanity etc etc - After two sentences on what the song is about, you'll need to find two techniques to talk about and state what is said, how it is said and why it is said in that way, as well as linking back to the question at the end of the paragraph.

Another thing, why 8 texts? That's waaaaaaay too much for 40 minutes - You need 2 prescribed, 2 of your own and 1 stimulus...hmmm, get back to me on this one. I can also help with the structure of the essay if you like.

Last edited:

Mary Jane

HSC
You wouldn't change to Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds? Great imaginative song with easy drug references....(links with Coleridge that way..opium dude)

quincyboi

HSC
Its not an at school essay. We have to do bout 250 words on each at home. I decided to use a different text anyway. I think some of H.R. Giger's art would be good. Its kinda disturbing like Dali, but that makes it even better for this topic.

u can highlight the way its makes u question the link between machine and human. thx for the help though.

*Lozzie*

HSC
Imagine is NOT too easy its a great song and perfect for the imaginative journeys study. i know lots of people doing imagine and our teachers have told us its a great text to choose

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
The usual rule that applies is: "if the text is not original or not sophisticated then you better have great insight into it to incorporate it into a great essay. If you've got that insight and perception, GREAT! If not..."

this case is an exception though. OVER-USED! UNORIGINAL!

there are tonnes of great related texts out there people! They don't have to have the word "imagine" or "imaginative" or "imagination" in it you know :rolleyes:

pick texts that are a little unusual, that explore the idea of an imaginative journey from a new perspective, an original perspective. Instead of always thinking of imaginative journeys in the usual sense or fantastical daydreaming, think about it differently. Think of time and how it relates to the concept of daydreaming and what time does to people and does the imaginative journey wreak havoc in certain people who pine away and stop living. Or something like that. Perhaps not totally original cos Journeys is in its 3rd year and you'll be hard pressed to be "the first" to come up with something but think outisde the square.

........Unless, you don't really care about Eng Adv and just wanna get it over and done with. Then just use a generic overused text and you're on your way...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)