Impact of transistor on society (1 Viewer)

bEAbEA

HSC
Identify data sources, gather, process, analyse information and use available evidence to assess the impact of the invention of transistors on society with particular reference to their use in microchips and microprocessors

Can anyone help me with this dot point, I have a few ideas: computers, Internet, mobile phones, music recording, satellite broadcasting, wireless and cordless systems, touch-time dialing (ie more entertainment) but I don't think thats enough for a 7 mark question, which this dotpoint is probably going to be...

Cheers

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
well, you have to assess the impact so you need positives and negatives, probably 3 points for each (or 4 - 2). Then the final mark would go to a final evaluation.

bEAbEA

HSC
for negatives:
increased use of computers = increased computer crime
also, increased obesity amongst children because of time spent on the computer, on the Internet, not outside

rama_v

HSC
Heres a beast of an answer, its far too long and its probably crappy, but its a stab lol

-----------------------

The invention of the transistor paved the way for the development of miniature electronic circuits and profoundly integrated circuits (IC). Devices could now be made that required less space and less power which had far more reliability than existing devices. With the introduction of the transistor, electronic systems have continued to become smaller, more sophisticated and cheaper. It led to the so called computer revolution which has changed our lives greatly. Today, IC’s are used in a huge variety of microprocessor based equipment, ranging from mobile phones and calculators to ATM’s. The first microprocessors appeared in 1971 and have been reducing in size ever since.

Fast computers and tiny electronics have connected the world in an incredible amount of ways. For example, communication technologies have increased in efficiency and reliability, and are so advanced that through GPS, they are able to pin point any location on Earth to within a few metres. This has had a profound impact on missile and war technology, satellite technology and communication technology. It is now possible to speak and communicate with others all the way around the world, wirelessly and cheaply.

Computers no longer require a full cooling system and a store room full of computer circuits. They can now process huge volumes of information which has reduced repetitive manual labour. Transistors are particularly useful in memory chips. They control the flow of charges to a tiny capacitor. Other transistors act as amplifiers when information is retrieved.

In terms of environmental impact, there are positives and negatives. It has led to the development of solar cells in an attempt to battle scarce resources and reduce our dependence on fossil fuels. There is less pollution because transistors require less energy to run. Furthermore, there is no EMR produced from transistors. The main ingredient of semiconductors, silicon, is also an extremely abundant material.

On the other hand, while transistors are small in size, they have contributed to waste disposal problems. The process of producing transistors uses more toxic chemical and creates pollution, especially on non-degradable plastics which disturb the ecosystem when they are thrown away.

In summary:
- less air pollution
- increased globalisation
- creates new skills in terms of computer use
- rapid development in robotic technology
- miniaturised devices which were previously space intensive
- better medial diagnosis and treatment methods
- major companies and banks are advanced by microchips in their computers
- reduces labour and increases unemployment
- increases inequality of wealth between nations
- allows increased access to information for all
- increased individual satisfaction and entertainment
- Reduced social and ethical codes

Essentially impacts of the transistor have occurred in communication, technology, daily lives, and of course the environment. These impacts have on the whole been positive to society as they have greatly improved living standards and encouraged rapid growth in many areas of science.

Last edited:

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
where's your final assessment?

I lost a mark for not evaluating an assess question in the trials :/

rama_v

HSC
Jago said:
where's your final assessment?

I lost a mark for not evaluating an assess question in the trials :/
hah it got cut off lol when i copied and pasted..edited

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
haha when you get cut off by bos, you KNOW you wrote too much

helper

HSC
N/A
Just looking at rama's answer. The environment stuff is irrelevant unless you link it to societal changes in this particular question. Well worth knowing for studying however.

Also make sure you make a link between transistors and microchips. The link to microprocessors is clear but there is not link stated to microchips, even though it is implied.
Similarly with your list down the bottom, ensure you show the chain.
Transistor-societal change.
Transistor-microchip-societal change
Transistor-microprocessor-societal change

Overall a good answer that can be tighten up a little bit.
If it states Environment and Society, make sure you address both issues.

rama_v

HSC
Im pretty sure this question will be asked in the hsc this year purely because its the only society question that hasnt been asked at all since the new hsc came in (to the best of my knowledge)...I will fix up the answer and get it 100% when i have time, if anyone wants to ad to it so that we can make a model answer which we can memorise and learn, plese feel free. Same goes for questions on a loudspeakers and maglev trains, these have not been asked previously and Im thinking our year is the one they are gonna ask us it...

Last edited:

danthemanly

HSC
Very good answer rama_v it helped me a lot with an environmental question for a physics assessment. Cheers

Glenjamin

HSC
N/A
is a transistor a semi conductor? cause im finding it difficult answering a question on the impact of the application of semi conductors on both society and the environment

HSC
Glenjamin said:
is a transistor a semi conductor? cause im finding it difficult answering a question on the impact of the application of semi conductors on both society and the environment
It's a semiconductor device, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)