Impact on the evolution (1 Viewer)

DeLeon

HSC
The first dot point on my syllabus is
- Outline the impact on the evolution of plants and animals of:

- Changes in physical conditions in the environment
- Changes in the chemical conditions in the environment
-Competition for resources

Can anyone please help give me an example of each that would be useful for study, i have a fair idea on the last 2 but not so sure of what i can use for the first one.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
The example for plants that my teacher gave us in class was as Australia ha drifted northward it has gotton hotter and dryer, so temperate rainforest was selected against and sclerophyll type forests were selected for as they have hard, leather leaves with waxt cuticles, fewer stomata or stomata located under the leaf to lose less water[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

DeLeon

HSC
thank you so much

any other examples will be a great help to me as well.

boris

Banned
HSC
... Seriously, the answer to all of this would be on the first two pages of your Prelim text book.

DeLeon

HSC
boris said:
... Seriously, the answer to all of this would be on the first two pages of your Prelim text book.
Oh yeah, hehe i guess i forgot to check that out. i was told it was in my text book so i automatically assumed it was my HSC book. thanks

rooeys2

i like to laugh =)
HSC
DeLeon said:
The first dot point on my syllabus is
- Outline the impact on the evolution of plants and animals of:

- Changes in physical conditions in the environment
- Changes in the chemical conditions in the environment
-Competition for resources

Can anyone please help give me an example of each that would be useful for study, i have a fair idea on the last 2 but not so sure of what i can use for the first one.
eg of changes in physical conditions
-peppered moths, before there was more light coloured moth because they could camouflage themselves against the lichen on trees, however when the industrial revolution arrived, soot settled on the trees making the light coloured moth easily predated, thus now the variety of the population is pepper coloured or dark coloured.

eg of changes in chemical conditions
-the use of DDT on mosquitoes (DDT is an insecticide), small amounts of this insecticide was used on mosquitoes to get rid of malaria, and it did work for a while and wiped all ALMOST all the population, HOWEVER, the mosquitoes that survived passed their genes onto the next generation and thus they population gained immunity to DDT and soon it became ineffective.

eg competition for resources
-when dinosaurs lived on earth, most of the resources were available to them because they dominated the land. thus, the mammals were scarce in numbers becuase there was not much resources for them to survive on. however, when the dinosaurs became extinct, there was a large incline in number of mammals as they took advantage of the abundant resources and reproduced and the population diversified as a result.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)