Importance of beong a prefect for university scholarships (1 Viewer)

asduiashdi

HSC
I was wondering how much being a prefect helps with university scholarship applications. I just moved schools so I don't think I have a good chance of becoming a prefect especially since other people in my year have done an insane amount of extracurriculars (mainly competitions and stuff at school, that my old school didn't do) starting from year 7. Thank you.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Whether being a prefect helps with scholarship applications depends on the criteria of each scholarship that you are interested in. Since a prefect can be considered a leadership position, being a prefect is likely to assist with scholarships that emphasise leadership as a key criterion for being awarded. Examples of scholarships where being a prefect can support your application include:
  • MQ's Leaders and Achievers Scholarship - Should you have been made an offer through the Leaders and Achievers Early Entry Scheme, you can be considered for this scholarship according to whether you have demonstrated extensive engagement or significant achievement of service to local or wider community.
  • WSU's Vice Chancellor’s Leadership Scholarship - In addition to academic requirements, you are required to provide evidence of leadership and community involvement.
Additionally, while this is not a scholarship, but rather an entry scheme, USyd's Future Leaders Scheme allows school captains and dux students to gain entry to eligible courses with a lower ATAR.

On the other hand, other scholarships primarily stress academic performance and achievements. Consider the following UNSW scholarships:
  • Academic Achievement Award - This scholarship is available to students who achieve the highest ATAR (not selection rank) at NSW and ACT high schools.
  • Scientia Scholarship - This scholarship is available to students who achieve an ATAR (not selection rank) of 99.90 or higher in an Australian Senior Secondary Certificate or equivalent qualification.
I hope this helps! :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)