Importance of universities regarding employment (1 Viewer)

Ricktatorship

HSC
Does it really matter where you got your degree when it comes to employment at a law firm? I've heard that in banking for example, your university is very important when trying to get into a top tier firm. So does the same apply for lawyers?

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Does it really matter where you got your degree when it comes to employment at a law firm? I've heard that in banking for example, your university is very important when trying to get into a top tier firm. So does the same apply for lawyers?
To some extent, yes.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
For Law and Banking yes, however in other fields such as Accounting and Med for example it is not as influential in acquiring a job. Either way, obviously try and get into a university which has a better reputation/teaching quality/campus etc, it can't hurt in the long run.

Ricktatorship

HSC
For Law and Banking yes, however in other fields such as Accounting and Med for example it is not as influential in acquiring a job. Either way, obviously try and get into a university which has a better reputation/teaching quality/campus etc, it can't hurt in the long run.
Thanks. Yeah I highly doubt I'll be getting an atar high enough for law at USyd or UNSW, so what I'll probably do if I decide on law is do commerce or something at Macquarie, then transfer into Com/Law. Or I could try and transfer into USyd, although I'd imagine that's a lot more competitive.

enoilgam

HSC
Depending on who you talk to, everyone has a different answer. From what I gather, it does matter for some firms, whilst for others it doesnt. However, overall employers are mainly interested in things like your marks, personality/social skills, work-experience and extracurriculars. Those attributes are what really stand out for graduates and those will make you far more employable on the market.

So whilst it can be a factor, it is rarely ever a major factor - a law degree from UNSW/USyd isnt automatically going to get you a job in the sector, nor will a Law degree from UWS act as "a bus ticket to Centrelink" as some people would have you think. It is ignorant to assume that Uni prestige has no impact, but again, it is not a major factor to getting employed within the industry.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Thanks. Yeah I highly doubt I'll be getting an atar high enough for law at USyd or UNSW, so what I'll probably do if I decide on law is do commerce or something at Macquarie, then transfer into Com/Law. Or I could try and transfer into USyd, although I'd imagine that's a lot more competitive.
Don't put Macquarie as such a downgrade, it is still regarded as having quite a good commerce faculty. Transferring would be highly competitive, assume at least a D would be required to stand a chance, maybe a HD.

Ricktatorship

HSC
Don't put Macquarie as such a downgrade, it is still regarded as having quite a good commerce faculty. Transferring would be highly competitive, assume at least a D would be required to stand a chance, maybe a HD.
At Macquarie? Damn, didn't take this into account. I was just looking at the 3.0 GPA required to transfer :p. Thanks anyway!

Ricktatorship

HSC
Depending on who you talk to, everyone has a different answer. From what I gather, it does matter for some firms, whilst for others it doesnt. However, overall employers are mainly interested in things like your marks, personality/social skills, work-experience and extracurriculars. Those attributes are what really stand out for graduates and those will make you far more employable on the market.

So whilst it can be a factor, it is rarely ever a major factor - a law degree from UNSW/USyd isnt automatically going to get you a job in the sector, nor will a Law degree from UWS act as "a bus ticket to Centrelink" as some people would have you think. It is ignorant to assume that Uni prestige has no impact, but again, it is not a major factor to getting employed within the industry.
Cheers, this really cleared it up for me.

RookieLaw

Audit.
HSC

Make the most out of what you've got, whether it's law at usyd or law at uws lol.

clintmyster

Prophet 9 FTW
HSC
Uni Grad
At the end of the day, it's not just about your university, it's also about all-round factors that employers look for e.g. balanced lifestyle, leadership positions. As long as your program is accredited then everything should be fine unless there is bias as mentioned already in some firms. At the end of the day, marks + extra-curricular will land you an interview. Then it's just up to how you conduct yourself.

wannaspoon

ремове кебаб
HSC
Uni Grad
overall employers are mainly interested in things like your marks, personality/social skills, work-experience and extracurriculars. Those attributes are what really stand out for graduates and those will make you far more employable on the market.

got none of those... hahaha!

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes it's important. It's the difference between a low paying job that works lax hours and a low paying job that works long hours.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Whilst Omni is quite blunt, his point does have some merit. In the top-tier firms, you'll see that the vast majority of clerks/paralegals are USyd/UNSW. There is a spattering of UTS/Macquarie (Clayton Utz, in particular, has a higher proportion of Macquarie paralegals than other top-tiers), with very limited UWS.

In saying that, it is possible to get into the top tier, if you go to say, UWS. Evidence? Here. UWS student, being a clerk at Mallesons.

In saying that, she's heading for the medal. So that's where Omni's point has merit - in that, if you're going to say, UWS, and you want a top-tier commercial law career, then you have to be within medal contention. Whereas, at say, USyd or UNSW, you can be around the middle of your cohort and still get access to top-tier clerkships.

unforlornedhope

HSC
N/A
University reputation is VERY important. Even if you are a HD student at UTS, UWS etc, don't forget that you're competing with other HD students from USYD, UNSW, Melbourne and other GO8 unis. So when it comes to limited positions available and everyone has the same ability, then university reputation does matter.

D.

Blurg!
HSC
N/A
It really doesn't matter so much anymore. You see tipstaff and associates from universities all over. There are so many grads from so many law schools that there are just as many unemployed USyd grads as there are others these days.

There are also other factors to take into account. For example, UNSW lawyers don't like the way USyd teaches Equity and vice versa. Some law schools are more supportive of their students than others too, and this does make a difference to how well you learn. In my opinion, a distinction average from a second tier law school, is worth more than a credit average from a Group of 8 university.

DannyBoy33

HSC
N/A
Well, its different in different areas. If you're just starting in the professional world, university is an good evidence that you're capable of putting your time into something, also that you're able to do tasks that are assigned to you, and in the end that you've learned stuff related to the subjects. On the other hand, if you have 5 years of experience in something you're good at, noone will ask you for a degree. Ofc, your pay would be better with it probably.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)