• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Important: Chemistry Assesment (1 Viewer)

luke ehlers

HSC
:) I hav an assesment due in two weeks and am stuck on the last question in the assesment it is "what problems are created by society's use of plastics as a society" i hav only been able to come up with the expense of plastics as a problem. if you hav any answers i would greatly apreciate them.

tennille

HSC
Could you mention environmental problems?

Some plastics can kill animals (particularly aquatic animals). For example, those 6-pack rings that hold beer cans together and plastic bags (if they are non-degradable), which can entangle animals.

You can also check here.

luke ehlers

HSC
thanks heap that helped alot there was alot of imformation i really apreciate that thanks again

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
PVC (polyvinylchloride) has the molecular formula C2H3Cl ...

Later (or better yet now) you will know that Chlorine atoms are resonsible for ruining the ozone layer mainly caused by chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) but PVC contains Chlorine atoms too so Greenies aren't impressed at PVCs at all despite its strength.

Ultraviolet radiation from the sun breaks down ozone, but the oxygen atoms are capable of rebonding to form ozone again.
O3(g) -->O(g) + O2(g) & O(g) + O2(g) --> O3(g)

But Chlorine atoms come and interfere with the process and will not be used up, one Chlorine atom can interfere with hundreds of oxygen molecules.

Cl(g)+O3(g) -- > ClO(g) + O2(g)
ClO(g) + O(g) --> Cl(g) + O2(g)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)