IMPORTANT! : How is english scaled? (1 Viewer)

nipsta

CEO
HSC
Does standard and advanced english get scaled the same as one course?

Firstly, Im having a dilemma, im so lost and need answers. Theres currently been many confusions at our grade lately on wheather standard english and advanced english gets scaled seperately or together. Final subject selection forms are due in a few weeks and I think everyone in yr ten deserves to know the myths and facts about scaling, which by the way can become very confusing...
Currently, Ihave just read the First thread of the year 10 section "The guide to selecting your HSC Course" and it tells you that they get scaled the same as one course ( ive pasted the segment of that thread below)... and yet My peers that are in senior schools and EVEN MY TEACHER told mee that there is no way that advanced english and standard engish gets scaled together cause it would be unfair to advanced english students??
Ive tried to reserch this on the net but couldnt find much infomations on wheather standard english or advanced english gets scaled together or seperatly.
I hope to believe that the tread posted " The guide to selecting your HSC Course" is right and what my teachers and peers have told me was wrong...
If you know that the Standard english and Advanced engish gets scaled together or not,, can you please tell me and to the rest of the year tens reading this?

Thanks in advance.

The English Standard and Advanced dilemma

Deciding whether to take Standard or Advanced English is one of the hardest decision to make.

*English Standard AND Advanced are scaled in the exact same way. When someone says "Don't do standard because it has very poor scaling", it is ENTIRELY wrong.

If 2 identical RAW marks in Standard English and Advanced English will scale to the same scaled mark.

Standard and Advanced English are scaled as one course despite what others say.

But now you will ask "Why is it on the list of scaled means, Advanced and Standard english are different when you said they are scaled the same?"

The answer to this is simple. They are reported separately. i.e. They combine the candidature of English Standard and Advanced and scale it as a single subject, they are then separated and the scaled mean is determined and reported. It just so happens the scaled mean of Standard is typically lower than Advanced. This doesn't mean it scaled any better or worse than Advanced.

Is it possible to get band 6 in Standard English?

Yes it is very much possible it. Most teachers and students would say the board of studies doesn't allow students to get band 6. This is untrue, and has been proved in 2003 where one student attained a band 6.

But why so little people? It just so happens the students undertaking Standard aren't as acedemically good enough to attain that band.

jhammond

HSC
Yeah, I don't get that. My English teacher was giving us a speech and told us specifically that Advanced gets scaled up, and Standard gets scaled dow. but, I don't know...I want to know as well.

DownInFlames

Token Member
where I spend the vast majority of my time
HSC
They actually do scale fairly similarly now: The reason it would go down is because of moderating I guess: The candidature for Standard English is generally less competetive than the students doing advanced.

They use the Journeys paper to compare standard and advanced students. If you're doing very well in english you should do advanced, because you're capable of it. If you're doing ok, both are options. The main difference is standard has more accessible texts.

Alex2

HSC
lol our english teacher told us very specifically that "advanced scales much better than basic, definately"

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
They scale identically and they've always scaled identically and they always will scale identically :D

EDIT: Although it depends on whether you're talking about aligning (what they do with hsc papers and in-school assessment results) or actual scaling (What uac does with hsc marks to make the UAI).

In terms of Alignment then if you do standard and no one in your cohort gets a high HSC Exam result then you'll be capped in the sense that the maximum Aligned internal assessment mark (whoever came first) is equal to the highest HSC Exam result for that cohort. Since no one smart does Standard English if you want a band 6 in it it's essential to come first and then get 90+ in the HSC exam, not an easy task.

In terms of scaling UAC treats both English's identically when it converts the HSC mark into the Scaled Aggregate.

Last edited:

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Do Advanced. You only do 1 more module (or I think)

summermagic

HSC
In terms of the HSC, it's VERY hard to get a band 6 doing standard english. There's more of a chance of getting band 6 doing advanced.

Advanced is marked a lot harder though so you have to be able to work by yourself with minimal help.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
summermagic said:
In terms of the HSC, it's VERY hard to get a band 6 doing standard english. There's more of a chance of getting band 6 doing advanced.

Advanced is marked a lot harder though so you have to be able to work by yourself with minimal help.
That's not actually true

Strictly speaking it's easier since the course is easier

But statistically if you have the ability to get a band 6 in any english, or even a band 5, you do advanced.

Just imagine if Physics were compulsory and there were 2 streams, no one in the lower stream would get a band 6 since they'd be all the people who were no good at physics :D

lauren-i

HSC
Both of the preliminary courses (year 11) are the same however they are scaled separately. Heaps of people think that because it is the same course, the marks will be the same. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a band 6 in the Standard course!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
lauren-i said:
Both of the preliminary courses (year 11) are the same however they are scaled separately. Heaps of people think that because it is the same course, the marks will be the same. It is IMPOSSIBLE to get a band 6 in the Standard course!
Practically it's possible.

williams180

HSC
You gots to do advanced english. They do moderate differently. They work it out by seeing the difference in the marks between standard and advanced in Paper one of the HSC which is the Area of Study. As advanced is expected to do much better than standard they will scale their paper 2 modules up accordingly. Doing standard means you must do really well as most likely the course is taking up by people who will not get the higher marks in thier other subjects. Advanced isnt hard and you can achieve good results in it

kokodamonkey

HSC
if you want a good uai, do adv english. remember you want your cohort to be intelligent people to pull each other up. no offence but u dun get that in standard english. and hey, if some1 with grammar and spelling like me, can be doing adv english, and be above average, surely theres hope for all?

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
sikhman said:
It's just extremely hard :)
Exactly.

kokodamonkey said:
if you want a good uai, do adv english. remember you want your cohort to be intelligent people to pull each other up. no offence but u dun get that in standard english. and hey, if some1 with grammar and spelling like me, can be doing adv english, and be above average, surely theres hope for all?
I'm up the top somewhere in English Standard but if I went to English Advanced I'd be below average, so where do I go ?

If I consider scaling I'm happy with 3 Unit Maths, Physics and Chemistry.
Otherwise I'd do what's best for me k ?

williams180 said:
You gots to do advanced english. They do moderate differently. They work it out by seeing the difference in the marks between standard and advanced in Paper one of the HSC which is the Area of Study. As advanced is expected to do much better than standard they will scale their paper 2 modules up accordingly. Doing standard means you must do really well as most likely the course is taking up by people who will not get the higher marks in thier other subjects. Advanced isnt hard and you can achieve good results in it
I'd rather be given 14/20, 15/20 and 14/20 than 8/20, 9/20 & 8/20 like some of my poor English Advanced friends are getting.

beentherdunthat

HSC
Advance english is a good sub. F3nr15, you're friends are getting those marks, but I usually get 20/20, 14/15, 18/20...

It's a good scaler. The content is really interesting as well. And it's not like its a hard subject. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)